N17 Genestealer Cult Gang Updated

Discussion in 'Tribe News' started by DerekDecker, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Ml2sjw

Ml2sjw Gang Champion

And then people would be pulling apart the rules talking about if a model was "hit" by a template and asking if it needs to dodge outside of the template I guarantee!

2. Gunkaiser

Gunkaiser Ganger

Was definitely thinking about that... the heavies in the Neophyte box are really the same body/head type as what comes in the Acolyte Hybrid box so it makes perfect sense and lines up well with the weapon restrictions in the other gangs.

Petitioner's City likes this.
  3. Zae55

Zae55 Ganger

This is the part that bugs me about N17. Juves should be like in the old days (insert whistling old timer sounds) where they were an investment if you took the time to develop them and they survived their meat shield duties then they became better than your other units if they were lucky. Nowadays i dont see anyone using them in our groups except for me when playing Escher (and i basically use them as coup de grace finishers)

I like the new models. Still would have liked to see speedy acolytes for that not quite a genestealer feel. Third arm changes are good as it doesn't seem to restrict them using items as far as my interpretation went...

Space Truckin likes this.
  4. almic85

almic85 Gang Champion

Topsykretts, FYI a 4+ invulnerable save and a 4+ to dodge that attack completely are very different. The familiar isn’t even hit by the attack so it isn’t pinned.

Edit: also GW4 changes the rules for advancements and XP costs and clarifies how it benefits juves. On top of this GW4 also fixes the credit cost of BS/WS and Int/WP advancements.

5. N3p3nth3

N3p3nth3 Juve

Nope, it just means that a guy from the acolyte box is an early generation acolyte or neophyte (or alpha) and a guy from the neophyte box is a late-generation acolyte or neophyte (or adept).

Now the fact that aberrations can take acolyte 2h cws is an actual departure from the norm.

6. Yemeshi

Yemeshi Juve

Cult Icon rules are missing from the PDF?

7. Zae55

Zae55 Ganger

Good point on the difference berween saves and dodging out of harms way. It was good to see the bs/ws and int/will advancements were correct.

I dont have my book on me but dont juves upgrade after 5 or 6 advancements in the new campaign (or something similar)?

8. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

"Heavy weapons limited to acolytes (champions)"? Nope. Leader can also take heavy weapon.

9. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

Hmm yes, would need to add a couple of sentences: The model avoids the hit completely. Do not move the model, leave it at its position.

10. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

It's probably included in GW4 for Cawdor?

11. DerekDecker

DerekDecker Ganger

The rules for all of the weapons/equipment are not in the pdf. In the White Dwarf version they have rule for the equipment. Cult Icon is exactly the same as Cawdor.

12. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

Good thing they didn't reprint any weapon stats or traits, because every time they do, it's always something different. This is I think the 2nd or 3rd publication that doesn't include any inconsistencies, mainly because they didn't include weapon profiles.

Ben_S, Space Truckin and irlZombie like this.
  13. almic85

almic85 Gang Champion

The whole advancement rule got a revamp in GW4.

It now only adds 2 extra xp for advancing the same stat a second time, so you can add 1 BS and then 1 WS for 10 xp, where it used ot be 2 additional xp for every advancement after the first and skills don't add any extra xp each time you take them.

In addition juves don't have to pay the 2 xp tax for advancing the same stat more than once and their max stats increase when they become champions.

cronevald and irlZombie like this.
  14. Trafalgar Law

Trafalgar Law Gang Hero

That sounds like a good change. I didn't like the whole 2xp tax thing for every advance, especially as it's already slower to gain xp. Having that only be for duplicate stats sounds much better (I wonder if that was the original intent but just badly written).

Juves still need something though. Maybe a discount on upgrades or something to make them more attractive to take.

TopsyKretts likes this.
  15. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

That's bloody brilliant!

16. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

Yeah this is much better and encourages to take different advancements, not just max out on toughness.

Juves need clear rules to be promoted to champions, not using random things like turf war, cycles etc. It worked flawless before, when reaching 21 xp, become ganger. I've played campaign since january and still not reached down-time or showdown. Zero juves promoted!

17. DerekDecker

DerekDecker Ganger

That is why people need a good Abitrator to manage the campaign, an endless Turf War need houserule to promote Juve. A Cycle should only last a week so people can collect their turf money lol.

18. Devilmixer

Devilmixer Ganger

well this depends on how many games your players have time for

19. Ben_S

Ben_S Hive Guilder
    Honored Tribesman

Do you still get pinned if you pass an invulnerable save now?

It used to be (i.e. pre-N17) that invulnerable saves were basically for things like forcefields or dodging, so you weren't in fact really hit or pinned. Which means that an invulnerable save would be just the ticket.

Of course, if you are still pinned in N17, then you're right that would be a difference (though the text still seems rather wordy for something as straightforward as a dodge).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice