N17 Genestealer Cult Gang Updated

Petitioner's City

Gang Champion
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Hello everyone, excellent gang manager tools here.
I do think that neophytes hybrids should have "When the gang is created, one Neophyte hybrid can be armed with a special weapon or a heavy weapon"
I strongly doubt they wanted to allow a genestealer magus to be toting a mining laser too.

One small detail in the manager however ; Acolyte hybrids come ready dressed with a hazard suit since the update.
As stated in Facebook in the Necromunda 2017 group by Jonathan (who wrote the rules), this is deliberate. Its to ensure only champions and leaders have heavy weapons. Don't think of acolyte and neophyte as the units in 40k are modelled or identified; its basically a champion distinction here so 40k acolyte models can be neophytes in this game and 40k neophyte models can be acolytes in this gang.

See https://m.facebook.com/groups/548244582184535?view=permalink&id=732520263756965&anchor_composer=false&refid=18&_ft_=qid.6595873822197262399:mf_story_key.732520263756965:top_level_post_id.732520263756965:tl_objid.732520263756965:src.22&__tn__=*W-R

The discussion also includes the M4 rule, base size and other intriguing topics concerning the rules

Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
This is why FB posts that, in any case, many FB users are randomly blocked from are not a good means to disseminate rules updates, clarifications, and FAQs.

Petitioner's City

Gang Champion
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Join the group - it's worth it! I think we are lucky to have Andy and Jonathan there. Also beautiful minis including by yak members.

Regarding what they do, its only clarifications and sharing their own necro lives - figures, games, stories, etc. Just like everyone else in the group. And their participation there feeds into future things. So all/mostly good!

But it *would* be good to have an archive of all the conversations they have been in.

Mistspider

Jul 23, 2018
Sweden
Hmm...has anyone else noticed that the Cult Alpha and the Hybrid Acolyte is not equipped with a hazard suit when you create a new gang? They should according to the new official rules, and the Toxin injector claws seems to have been deleted from the new rules as wargear as well. Anyone know how to fix it without increasing your gang rating (the hazard suits)? Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Devilmixer

Ganger
May 19, 2016
Albertslund, Danmark
Hmm...has anyone else noticed that the Cult Alpha and the Hybrid Acolyte is not equipped with a hazard suit when you create a new gang? They should according to the new official rules, and the Toxin injector claws seems to have been deleted from the new rules as wargear as well. Anyone know how to fix it without increasing your gang rating (the hazard suits)? Thanks! :)
Toxin claw isnt part øf the game alt more :-(

TopsyKretts

Gang Hero
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Join the group - it's worth it! I think we are lucky to have Andy and Jonathan there. Also beautiful minis including by yak members.

Regarding what they do, its only clarifications and sharing their own necro lives - figures, games, stories, etc. Just like everyone else in the group. And their participation there feeds into future things. So all/mostly good!

But it *would* be good to have an archive of all the conversations they have been in.
I'm not joining FaceBook if that's what you're trying to imply. Not now, not ever.

Reactions: Balder Dash

Loxapac

Aug 30, 2018
Quimper
The psychic familiar is a game breaker at 25 creds.
We were playing today the 2nd cycle of our club's campain, and one player had 3 familiars in his cult roster.
The result was that his leader and his champs were nearly invulnerable, and he destroyed everyone. (Average 5-7 hits dodged by the flamer/melee oriented leader, and 2-4 with the stubber champ)
In Necromunda, it is hard to get several shooters on one target. So if this one avoid one hit roll per turn, on a 5+ check/ 2d6 , he is very hard to kill.
25 points and common, means you can have 3 of these very early in the campain.
And roll on everyone with ease.

For exemple , a caryatid, with the same rules is extremly difficult to get.
Bio boosters : 35 creds to have -once per game- less chances to be badly injured.

I realy dont understand the pricing of the psychic familiar, it is extremly overpowered, and it is very frustrating to play against, and to see half of your hits getting denied by this 25 creds thing.

We are thinking about changing the "omen of fortune" rule to "once per game" instead of every turn, wich is obviously not fun for anyone.
(Even the cult player was disapointed because he felt like having no glory, and every oponents he had were annoyed and had bad time..)

What are your thoughts about the psychic familiar, what are your expériences with it?

Last edited:

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
@Loxapac they are pretty powerful for the cult leaders to have.

It’s worthwhile working out in your group if the 0-3 restriction should be applied to the gang as a whole or to each character on the gang (I would recommend the gang as a whole).

As for countering them you only really have 2 choices. Either mass shoot at the character or mass shoot at the familiar until they are dead.

Depending on your interpretation rapid fire weapons would be useful if your group agrees that the familiar only cancels out one hit from the rapid fire weapon as opposed to all hits.

You could also charge into h2h as all of the GSC leaders and champions aren’t very good in combat. As long as you are hitting first with a close combat ganger you should be able to take them out in one round of combat as T3, 2W, 6+ save isn’t very durable.

Greyhart

Juve
Oct 1, 2018
West Greenwich, RI
Anyone know why the Cult Alpha has S3 and the Hybrid Acolytes have S4? Seems a bit odd that your 'combat' Leader would have a lesser strength than his equivalent minions. Of course he does have M5 so I suppose we could put it down as the vagaries of the genestealer genome. I still find it curious though.

Gunkaiser

Gang Champion
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Anyone know why the Cult Alpha has S3 and the Hybrid Acolytes have S4? Seems a bit odd that your 'combat' Leader would have a lesser strength than his equivalent minions. Of course he does have M5 so I suppose we could put it down as the vagaries of the genestealer genome. I still find it curious though.
Apparently the designers thought you'd use the Primus model instead of the Acolyte Hybrid leader.

TopsyKretts

Gang Hero
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
These guys:
full?d=1530638902.jpg

are clearly not as beefy as these guys:
full?d=1530638790.jpg

In fact. the leader models look more like normal Neophytes (gangers) with S & T 3.

DerekDecker

Gang Champion
Apr 1, 2017
Primus have S4 in normal 40k. It's actually a (rare) evolved form of acolyte that didn't suffer from hunchback. And it also born with toxic blood.

Although they never claimed the alpha is a primus, so it's probably just a 3rd gen neophyte.

Reactions: Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

Gang Champion
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Primus have S4 in normal 40k. It's actually a (rare) evolved form of acolyte that didn't suffer from hunchback. And it also born with toxic blood.

Although they never claimed the alpha is a primus, so it's probably just a 3rd gen neophyte.
It's actually identified as being early gen though - but nevertheless these guys are low down the order, long spiraled-away families of GSC, far from their patriarch in hierarchy, so any comparison simply comes from using certain models rather than the rules themselves.