Genestealer cult official rules

Jul 27, 2012
@Ringlord3 and I were actually just discussing that a few days ago when a ganger got taken out by a surprise Genestealer (which he charged... a foolish move that got him killed). As many other threads have discussed, each GSC list has its own strengths and weaknesses. Of those floating around, Terror in the Hive is probably considered the "most official" of them, though it has a nasty habit of replacing experienced gang members with new ones without your consent.

Reactions: trollmeat

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
I donut nose, such technology is beyond me. Can't upload as is?
.doc or .docx¿

Ben Neeson

Gang Champion
May 23, 2014
Hellfast
Tried saving it on 2 different formats, no joy! I work in IT but my Job mostly involves telling people to turn their computer off and on again. That didnt work here either...

Maybe one of the mods can help. Hope I can get them uploaded would love some feedback.

Ben Neeson

Gang Champion
May 23, 2014
Hellfast
Trying to streamline the implantation/abduction or something to allow you to purchase Hybrids, so if G1 fights in a battle you are allowed to purchase G2 for your next battle. You need to get to G4 (human ones) before you get a Magus.

Cultists
  • You buy gang fighters (cultists), same as you would a normal gang. Represents members of the infected families becoming fighters.
Hybrids
  • If your gang has more cultists than Genestealers, you may choose to recruit a hybrid instead. Represents a chosen infected family raising a hybrid.
  • To recruit a hybrid, select any fighter the gang is normally allowed to select
    E.g. Juve/Ganger/Heavy
    The normal limitations on fighter types apply, regardless if those fighters are hybrids or not.
    Examples
    • If a gang type only permits two heavies, then you may only recruit two heavies total. Regardless if one or both of those heavies are Hybrids.
    • If a gang type limits the recruitment of Juves to half the number of the gang, this number would also include Hybrid juves
  • You may only recruit a hybrid of a particular generation if a hybrid of the generation above fought in the last battle.
  • See Working out the Hybrid's characteristics

graeme27uk

Juve
Mar 2, 2015
I have not thought very hard about this but was thinking about the tyranid hive-mind and how that could work. Was thinking that any "ganger" within X" can use the leader's Ld score or even is immune to psychology.

However, if/when the leader dies then the gang automatically breaks.

So its an all-or-nothing sort of thing.

Also, psychic powers like: Catalyst, Horror and Psychic Blast should be easy enough to put in. Though I was also thinking that each of these would be a one-shot event but not require a psychic test.

Looking over that pdf I like the idea of starting with just pure-strains and then infecting others to get a gang. However, the "Purii" are nowhere near powerful enough to represent a pure-strain genestealer. Remember these guys take on terminators and win!

So maybe start with only one / two. But make them nasty! Give them an implant rule that allows them to slowly infect downed gangers. Maybe once the gang/cult reaches a certain size the pure-strain has done its job and so evolves into a psychic node to call the rest of the fleet in.

Last edited:

Ben Neeson

Gang Champion
May 23, 2014
Hellfast
I have not thought very hard about this but was thinking about the tyranid hive-mind and how that could work. Was thinking that any "ganger" within X" can use the leader's Ld score or even is immune to psychology.

However, if/when the leader dies then the gang automatically breaks.

So its an all-or-nothing sort of thing.

Also, psychic powers like: Catalyst, Horror and Psychic Blast should be easy enough to put in. Though I was also thinking that each of these would be a one-shot event but not require a psychic test.

Yeah they do have an all or nothing feel, I think when the Patriarch dies for example the gang has to roll for each member to see if he stays or wanders off, as for pyschic powers for the Patriarch especially I want to keep more to powers like whipping other troops into frenzy... the Magus I could more see shooting bolts of lightning etc..

Any suggestion welcome lads, still a work in progress!

Cheers.

Ben Neeson

Gang Champion
May 23, 2014
Hellfast
Few changes we didnt get putting in.

Mule weapons and Stupidity for the 1st Generation is out, I was planning on making use of their BS my giving them heavy weapons mounted on their back, like this guy did,

119457-Genestealer%20Hybrid,%20Warhammer%2040,000.jpg

But since you can recruit Cultist heavies I dont see the need for that.

Armour to be removed for G2. That shout be Purestrain and G1 only.

6 limbed brain taken away from g4. By the time they become human they should lose this ability.

Fire me a few suggestions lads, these are a while off being finished so any help is really appreciated, there hasnt been a good Genestealer cult rules made yet so I think its overdue!

graeme27uk

Juve
Mar 2, 2015
Suggestions - oh dear. You realise that opening the "can you give me ideas" can of worms means thousands of posts of disagreement, flaming and dissent! One constant is that players never agree on house-rules... especially if they have played and lost against them. :LOL:

Anyhow:

Psychic Powers:

Horror
All non-cult models within X" (12" maybe) must immediately pass a Ld test. If they fail then they must fall back 2d6" towards the nearest table edge/cover to cower in fear.
OR
All cult models within X" cause Fear / Terror for one turn. (normal upgrades to cause Fear, those that cause Fear now cause Terror)

Catalyst
All cult models within X" gain Frenzy for one turn and may move an extra D6".
OR
All cult models within X" gain +1 MA, +1 WS, +1A for 1 turn.

Psychic Scream
All non-cult Wyrds within X" must immediately roll on the Perils of the Warp table as if they failed a psychic test.
OR
All non-cult models within X" are pushed back / fall back X".
OR
All non-cult models within X" suffer a S7 hit but use their Ld instead of their T when rolling to wound.

Psychic Blast
Target a single model within X". Model must pass a Ld test or automatically be "downed".
OR
Target a single model within X". Model suffers a hit with strength equal to the attackers Ld.

Metamorphosis
Target cult member within X" rolls immediately on the mutation table.

For the Hive!
Target cult member within X" explodes! Gas cloud template S4 hits. All non-cult models in area must also pass Ld test or fall back.

Adrenal Surge
Cult model targeted may act again this turn. After acting suffers a S3 hit.

Unnatural Regeneration
Target cult member regains 1Wd.

Mindslave
Target model must pass Ld test. If failed then Cult player may make them take one immediate action (not suicidal!)

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
I had always thought of a Genestealer Cult Gang as just one part or branch of a larger/greater infiltration/seeding (just as a standard gang represents a few misfits rather than the houses themselves).

Traditionally the Genestealer infiltration/infestation occurs over generations, but having the cult being Ground Zero presents a slight Fluff problem of Seeding (similar to a Van Saar Juve being represented by a teenage model suddenly growing a beard and becoming an adult once they have reached enough xp).

However, I am thinking that increasing the pace could make the cult far more interesting and terrifying. Couple this with the fact that the 'stealer stats have been lowered to represent that they are Hatchlings and it is starting to sound much more entertaining than a slight variation on a stock standard gang.

- At Ground Zero, the Cult is not yet established. A small hand-full of Hatchlings struggle to remain hidden, while still having to feed themselves and trying to capture natives so they seed them.

Lots to think about. Glad you posted your Rules in Progress. Thanks. :)

Ben Neeson

Gang Champion
May 23, 2014
Hellfast
The way I have it you will have your 4 starting Genestealers, full grown adults that have stowed away on a spacehulk or ship of some kind and got to the hive, its their task on the new planets the go to to establish a cult and gain a Magus and G4's to blend into society and take it over from the top.

These 4 cant be replaced, you will need to spawn a G1, who can spawn a G2, who can spawn G3..... who can spawn G4, then you can start producing Purestrains... so you will be at least 5 fights into a campaign to be able to get a new Genestealer purestrain again and these start from Hatchling level, the Genestealer Purestrain juve equivalent not the 4 adult d66 experience guys.

The bit we are thinking about is income, clearly a Purestrain isnt going to work a teritory of any sort, even the G1's dont have the intelligence to operate a pistol so at most digging in the dirt and scavenging like an outlaw gang is the most they might do, so while they have powerful troops if you can get some Hybrids they wont have the disposable income that other gangs have.

Starting with no guys that can operate territories might be tricky but ill think of something to make it work.

graeme27uk

Juve
Mar 2, 2015
Do you need all the different generations?

If purestrains started with an "Infect/Implant" attack then they can start taking them over. It gets a bit complex with all the various generations, and are the G1's really worth it?

It's a good idea fluff-wise but maybe over-complicating it?

Jul 27, 2012
What if G2+ enter the cult with a certain (variable) number of credits that they can use to buy equipment? Or... what if when the first Contagii is added to the cult, (s)he brings a territory with them (tribute to their four-armed Masters)?

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
I thought I had the old Tyranid Codex, but I appear to be unable to find it. :-\

If this stuff isn't useful just let me know and I'll delete it. :-D

Codex Imperialis, p91
Genestealers had been known for many years before the Tyranid hive fleet appeared, and it was some time before it was realised that they were part of the same genetically mutable race. Genestealers appear to be a form of scout. Operating on the edges of the Tyranid feeding grounds, they absorb the DNA of sentient species and create small hybrid communities. These hybrid communities radiate a psychic message that draws the hive fleets towards the worlds they have infiltrated. When the Tyranids arrive the whole world is stripped bare. Even its Genestealer scouts and their Hybrids are absorbed back into the hive fleets.

Advanced Space Crusade - Genestealers.
advancedspacecrusade-genestealers.JPG

Codex Imperialis - Genestealers
codeximperialis-genestealers.JPG

Codex Imperialis - Genestealer Hybrids
codeximperialis-genestealer hybrids.JPG

Codex Imperialis - Genestealer Patriarch
codeximperialis-genestealer patriarch.JPG

Codex Imperialis - Genestealer Magus
codeximperialis-genestealer magus.JPG