Genestealer cult official rules

graeme27uk

Juve
Mar 2, 2015
Wouldn't cultists either be the most human-like hybrids and/or psychically dominated humans, or those deluded enough to join up with the Hive?

Having generation rules implies births during gang development. What if everything had an implant attack that if successful created the next generation+1? So purestrain infects a ganger giving the first generation hybrid, first generation infects a ganger gives rise to a second generation, and so on up to fourth which could be a magus. Magus can give rise to purestrains as could the patriarch.

But you would be limited to only one patriarch and one magus.

I see genestealet cults getting complex for development purposes....

Finally, if you used those stats from the old codex then Genestealers are going to be very strong to start.

Reactions: trollmeat

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
I mentioned on the first page that I think "that increasing the pace could make the cult far more interesting and terrifying", and have started jotting down a bit of fluff for this instant implantation/infection:

The Imperium's puritanical zeal and xenophobia can be attributed to many factors, such as the threat of Orkish invasion or the influence of Chaos causing betrayal, but there is nothing as insidious and alarming as infiltration by Genestealers.

If a Genestealer infestation is not quelled quickly, it can fast become a serious infection that can topple governments and cause entire planets to rebel. The real threat lies in that only a small handful of the creatures is all it takes for them to start spreading like a contagion.

When a Purestrain Genestealer takes a captive, it can infect them with its seed, and within a few fevered days the victim will have mutated and twisted so much that is no-longer the host species, nor a Genestealer, but some kind of sad and disfigured hybrid.

These Hybrids are a combination of basic human intelligence and viscous alien cunning. While the earliest attempts at crossing species will generally be more animal-like, the more victims that are implanted the better the Genestealers are at controlling how the infection will develop.

A Genestealer will know it truly has become a Patriarch when the creatures it has infected/converted look almost indistinguishable from any other member of the victim’s species, and when these loyal hybrids begin to infiltrate the planetary defence force or the upper echelons of society.

[and that is all I have got so far]

Last edited:
Reactions: spafe

Ringlord3

Gang Champion
Aug 1, 2012
There is a slight problem to the whole generation thing. similar to how there is a chance to become an outlaw for certain deeds and having a psyker adding to the risk, should there not also be the chance or even using the same table. that the more obviously genestealer esque participants in the battle, the higher the chance that someone will get word uphive and the inquisition or space marine chapters called?

as lets face it, the inquisition is called for far lesser threats than genestealers and any sniff of tyranids would send atleast one or 2 of the more puritan inquisitors to the planet along with all of their authority to glass the planet

If you want to do a genestealer cult. have it function as redemptionists to start. with the magus replacing the priest. allow the conversion rule, instead of being converted, they are absorbed into the cult and are controlled. allow the recruitment of the various generations normally as more and more are called to join the cult. but the more hybrids and stealers you field, the higher the chance of extermination. and lets also note that even if they control a hive house, thats no safety from the inquisition or any actual authority within the imperium lol.

Tomcaet

Gang Champion
Nov 9, 2014
Łapy, Poland
Hive Primus is still standing despite the occasional Chaos Spawnesqe Scavvy turning up from time to time. We can handwave various xenos in the Underhive - that's a big place, especially for aliens as naturally stealthy as these. And which year is it in-universe? Genestealers were known in the Imperium before the First Tyrannic War and only later were determined to be a mere scout to far greater threats.

That said, somebody particularly inquisitive from Ordo Xenos might still get interested enough to sniff around, could potentially make for a fluffy addition to rules.

Also, as I understand from the draft, the cult starts even lower than Outlanders in terms of organization, territory and the like. They're only a real threat after they actually blended with the other gangs, and then uphive. They're not very detectable all throughout the infestation.

Ringlord3

Gang Champion
Aug 1, 2012
All im saying is that we should have a modified version of the Outlaw Table, but instead of making them watchmen, have it be someone investigating the sightings of Xenos

Ben Neeson

Gang Champion
May 23, 2014
Hellfast
Cheers for the Ideas so far lads, so one thing I need is something to deal with them being an alien force in the hive. Maybe they have to roll to see if a few enforcers are sent to check out Genestealer sitings? Or if the gang contains a Patriarch or Magus there is possibility an Inquisitor is sent? (Gives me a great excuse to make a truescale space marine.. or buy something the size of my Orrus)

I want them to start from the bottom up so I love the idea of Cultist Gangers bringing a territory with them or having a chance to do so. They should start scavenging with nothing or 1 territory they have infested that you can work when they breed someone with opposable thumbs is spawned (seeing as G1's cant figure out the shooty end of a gun from the trigger) , the point of the Genestealer infestation on the planet is to rise up to the Hive lords and rub shoulders with the nobles of the spryer. But from 4 animals stowing away on a spaceship who can speak a word to the natives they have a long journey up.

I wouldnt mind putting a goal in site like Spryers have, like if you get both partiarch and magus and win a battle you have successfully infiltrated the hive... I dunno Im not great at this but ill bounce any ideas and feedback off my brother who did those rules and see what we come up with.

graeme27uk

Juve
Mar 2, 2015
Are you going to have a patriarch AND a magus or is it an either / or?

A spyrer-like goal could work.

Wha if they had a chance of any game they play, the opposing gang get joined by an inquisitor but with variation based on size and hybrids. Too big or too obviously mutanty would give a higher chance of a SM Death Squad being sent you way or worse...I think of it as the gang getting temporarily recruited by the Inquisition (voluntarily or not...).

ineptmule

Gang Hero
Feb 17, 2011
Muswell Hill, UK
I was wondering about this too. I rather like @Anthony's Genestealer Brood rules as they are really straightforward and don't seem horribly overpowered.

I have made some amendments of my own to add a little bit more flavour, and I'm going to see if my group agrees to use these rules for testing.

I think the main strength of these is that the rules fit on three pages, and while it misses some of the weird and wonderful things that you guys are working on with actual generations, seeding and so on, it does feel to me like it has plenty of growth to go through.

Attachments

• Genestealer Brood - ineptmule amendments.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
@ineptmule, there are no maximum stats listed, and the separate roll to see if one of the juves becomes a magus and suddenly gets primary powers seems a bit much.

Without really thinking about it, perhaps each time a Contagii that has already reached maximum leadership rolls a Ld advance, they get a Wyrd Minor Power instead? Recently the Wyrdo (Scavvy Wyrd) has been changed so that it gets a new minor power each battle, something like this may work, and you may roll up a primary power here and there.

(ignore me, i don't know what i'm doing)

Reactions: Rippy

ineptmule

Gang Hero
Feb 17, 2011
Muswell Hill, UK
Yeah I noticed the lack of max stats too after posting. I will put some in.

With the psychic roll, I was trying to balance the idea that Magi are special hybrids who are psychically powerful from birth with the fact that they shouldn't be available to a starting gang. Therefore once it happens they are powerful but you only get one and essentially you have someone as powerful as a starting Wyrd Telepath (which IMO isn't great, especially starting with a Juve's stats.) They can start rolling at 21XP so there is potentially a lot of time for them to develop the other advances that would consolidate the psychic powers into something actually more useful.

My current Magi suggestion doesn't really fit with the Cult fluff, as I have infected guys potentially becoming Magi, but I haven't tried to tackle the generational rules at all in order to keep it simple (in my opinion the main strength of Anthony's rules.)

Unslain

Gang Hero
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
I hope I'll be forgiven for raising a month-old topic but I came looking for just this sort of thing; new gangs was a subject that came up while trying to re-enthuse a few former players. I say 'new' because while the Terror in the Hive list was available a long while back, no one in our campaign wanted to face purestrain genestealers outside of a one-off scenario. Daemons in Chaos Cults were a similar case.
So below is my pretty simplistic idea for a 'Stealer Cult gang, nothing exotic but inspired by the following quote from the Genestealer entry of the bestiary in Outlanders :

"Genestealer cults have been uncovered and mercilessly crushed several times on Necromunda by Imperial Inquisitors, but the Underhive remains an area which is impossible to cleanse thoroughly."

This list is meant to represent the few survivors of a crushed cult, fled downhive to lick their wounds and rebuild their strength. Everyone is at least 3rd generation but throwbacks are possible. Purestrain genestealers are left as an Arbitrator device, perhaps available to the 'Stealer Cult to balance points for special scenarios such as when defending in Storming the Barricades.
Rules-wise, it's a cut-and-shunt job of stuff extant in the ORB with a couple of tweaks.
=====================================================================
'Stealer Cult
Special Rules:
Outlanders - as per usual.

Starting Territory - 'Stealers start with one piece of territory generated on the Outlaw Territory Table. This is the cult's nest, where their few purestrain Genestealers stay hidden, surrounded by devoted brood brothers and monstrous hybrid children. Moving so many bodies unnoticed is not done easily and so the 'Stealers may not abandon this territory voluntarily, though should they lose the nest then they will generate another as normal for Outlaws.

Nest - A 'Stealer nest is a more cohesive and populous community than one would expect to find in the badzones. As a result, whenever a hybrid works the cult's territory roll a D6 in addition to any rolls for income. On a roll of 6, the cult may add a new hybrid to the gang for free but must pay the costs for any mutations and equipment as per their normal recruitment rules.

Income - as normal for outlaws.

Trading - use the Outlaw Trading Table

Hired Guns
- 'Stealers don't hire muscle in for fear of exposure.

Predation - as Cannibalism for Scavvies but only applies to captives. And it's not cannibalism when they're different species.

Bounty - standard bounty for mutant hybrids (see below) and the Magus, being a witch. Other hybrids aren't twisted enough to be worth a bounty.

Capture - Gangs capturing 'Stealers have the usual options to ransom, sell to slavers etc. Redemptionists cannot convert 'Stealers and will kill them.
When 'Stealers capture a foe, they have two choices; eat (see Predation) or Implant. The gang whose fighter was captured can make one rescue attempt as normal.

Implant - Captive enemy fighters can be taken back to the nest to be implanted by the purestrains the cult keeps hidden there. This works just like the Redemptionists' Redeem rule but if the 'Stealers leader wins then the captive is kept at the nest as a loyal brood brother and a hybrid is released to join the gang. This hybrid joins for free but may be given mutations (see Hybrid entry) which must be paid for as normal. If the captive resists the implantation then they are torn apart and devoured by the purestrains; the gang gains no sustenance and must feed themselves as normal. If the 'Stealer Cult is not led by a Magus, their Leader suffers a -1 penalty to the opposed roll as their mind is not as loud within the brood intelligence.​

Recruitment:

Magus - one and one only.
Cost to recruit: 150 credits.
M..WS..BS..S...T....W...I...A...Ld
Leader; Wyrd (one Telepath major power and one minor power)
Starting XP 60+d6
Skill lists: All except Combat and Techno. A Magus may exchange a roll on a skill list for a roll on the Wyrd Minor Powers Table instead.​

Hybrids - any number.
Cost to recruit: 30 credits
Mutant. Any number of Hybrids may have the mutations Claw (5 creds) or Extra Arm (10 creds) when recruited. Unlike with Scavvies, the cost does not increase for each additional mutant Hybrid. Hybrids may have each of the above mutations twice, however the cost for each further mutation is double that of the base. For example, a Hybrid with four arms would cost 30+10+20= 60 credits to recruit.
Starting XP 0
Skill lists: Agility, Ferocity, Stealth​

0-2 Heavies
Cost to recruit: 65 credits
These cultists are veterans of the failed uprising, trained in combat and weapons of war. As effective infiltrators, they may not be given mutations.
Starting XP 60+d6
Skill lists: Ferocity, Muscle, Stealth, Techno​

'Stealer Cults use the standard weapons list in the ORB when recruiting, thanks to a cache of equipment brought downhive with them.

'Stealer max characteristics.
The higher Strength and Initiative values are intended to represent the inhuman potential of 'Stealer hybrids.

Should the 'Stealer Cult get to the point of retiring successfully (whether by having a Gang Rating of 4000+ or something fitting story-wise), the cult extends it's reach into Hive City and continues to grow.
=============================================================================

This list has not been playtested and is entirely my own fault.
That said, I've taken inspiration from Michael Turvey's Terror in the Hive article and Ben Neeson's Genestealer Cult list. The Brood attachments that Ineptmule added earlier won't download for me for some reason, else I'd likely be crediting them here too. I've no idea if Michael is among the yaktribe but thanks, Ben - I'm hoping to use your Cult list as soon as I can find an opponent willing to face four purestrain genestealers or run a gang that starts with only four models.

Any critique and/or suggestions are welcome. I could particularly do with ideas on how to represent growing influence as the gang develops. I wondered about letting 'Stealers keep and work captured territories beyond the one that outlaws get, but the extra cash-flow becomes unbalanced very quickly.

Last edited:

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
It doesn't look like a wall of text to me, but the Edit button will become available to you after you have graduated from New Member to Juve or Ganger (can't remember which), your experience is gained by posting replies.

The rules look interesting, especially like the way you've gone about [conversion].

Nest: I'd want the cult to have some form of Settlement rule, where even though their Territory is rolled on the Outlaw table they can still get a free Hybrid on a 6 (pay out of own pocket for cost of any mutations), or perhaps similar to the NCE Scavvies rule for Scrofulous Wastes (as the cult, at this stage, can't risk being discovered as it has too many obvious mutations)...

(I'm not really here right now) :-D

Unslain

Gang Hero
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
@trollmeat, thanks for the explanation and the feedback. I'm glad you've still found it legible; now I look back, it is still pretty clear but at the time I was annoyed by it not posting as I expected when I'd spent longer than I meant to on layout and I was woefully behind on everything else I had meant to do that day. But such is life.

You're right about the nest needing a settlement-style mechanic. Initially I dreamt up a somewhat complicated rule for territory, forbidding the cult from voluntarily moving it's nest site but letting the cult hold multiple territories through brood brother fronts. At which point capturing a Settlement would be quite the achievement for the cult and free hybrids from the nest might cheapen that. I abandoned that idea though, in the name of simplicity and the threat to balance. Since then I've been toying with a way to allow 'stealer cults to 'go legit', gaining a Guild Price should they have no mutants beside the magus and buying their way into respectability. Whereupon they'd generate territories as any other gang paying off it's Guild Price but must keep the badzone nest. It all feels a little too rough to share yet but I'll turn my scribblings into a pdf to attach as soon as I'm able.

In the meantime, the Starting Territory rule above should read like this:
Starting Territory - 'Stealers start with one piece of territory generated on the Outlaw Territory Table. This is the cult's nest, where their few purestrain Genestealers stay hidden, surrounded by devoted brood brothers and monstrous hybrid children. Moving so many bodies unnoticed is not done easily and so the 'Stealers may not abandon this territory voluntarily, though should they lose the nest then they will generate another as normal for Outlaws.
This nest is a more cohesive and populous community than one would expect to find in the badzones. As a result, whenever a hybrid works the cult's territory roll a D6 in addition to any rolls for income. On a roll of 6, the cult may add a new hybrid to the gang for free but must pay the costs for any mutations and equipment as per their normal recruitment rules.​

I'm reluctant to duplicate the Scrofulous Wastes rule directly, as I see 'Stealers Cults as being more civilised than Scavvies. Or at least trying to be.
But then everything I'm writing here is just meant as suggestions so I encourage anyone to do as they please with it all.

@Matelloco, I've had a look at Inquisimunda's GSC v1.3 (I hope they're the ones you mean) following your post but I'm afraid they're not quite what I'm after. The joy of Necromunda for me is living the story of an abandoned corner of humanity and so I want to keep the game very human-centric. That has meant no abhumans, no daemons and until this list, no aliens. And by restricting this list to human-xeno hybrids, I'm trying to keep the 'power-level' deliberately low. A 50% chance of a purestrain genestealer (valued in Outlanders at 280 credits) turning up for free each game is just too much killing machine for my table. That said, thanks for the suggestion. I will show Inquisimunda to my gaming group and see if it's something we want to try.

Doghead13

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Dec 28, 2014
Forres, Scotland
We're working on stabilising ][munda a bit - there's a 2.0 being developed in the Inquisimunda section of this very forum right now. Part of the intent is to make it produce warbands with gang ratings that are in balance with what NCE produces, rather than the current OP mess - so once we're done an ][munda2.0 warband with a rating of 1500 will, if all goes well, be an even match for an NCE gang with a rating of 1500, and less of the things like '50% chance of a 280-or-so-credit boost to gang turning up in any given game.'

Intention is to produce lists that can be used interchangeably with the entire body of material that's been built up for NCE - both so ][munda can use all the stuff that's in the Yaktribe vaults or whatever and so that 'normal' Necromunda campaigns can use ][munda stuff.

We haven't started in on the 'stealers yet, but if any of you fancy giving us a hand you'd be more than welcome.