N18 Genestealer Cult rules

dallo019

Juve
Feb 16, 2014
Hi folks.

A few of my friends are interested in starting a Necromunda campaign and I'm looking to join them.

At present I own a sprue of Cawdor models, some 40k Genestealer cult and I have the Necromunda boxed game coming in the post.

I'm a little confused as to whether I can use the rule book from the box set or not. I believe the new hardback rule book compiles the campaign and terrain rules from the gang wars books along with the FAQ'd stuff. If I print out the FAQ, can I still use the rules for basic gameplay from the softcover rules?

If I want to play my Genestealer cult with the most up to date rules, is there any need to purchase Gangs of the Underhive? I have the PDF from GW. I'll probably get the hardcover rule book at some point, but is the softcover one enough to play in a campaign with?

Thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to getting into Necromunda.

Cheers.

Dallo

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The rule book from the box set was never complete in the first place - for instance, it has no campaign rules (they were originally in Gang War). So, you'll be needing the hardback rule book.

Not sure whether you need Gangs of the Underhive or not. I'd guess you don't need it if you at least have access to a friend's copy.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
Stuff that are only found (in an up-to-date version) in Gangs of the Underhive that you may need:
  • Weapon profiles
  • Rules for equipment and weapon traits
  • Trading post
  • Rules for Hanger-ons, Hired guns and Pets
As Ben_S suggested above, one GotU copy may be enough for the whole play group though, as you pretty much need it only during the post battle sequence (except for equipment rules/weapons traits but you're better off copying the few that your gang use for quick in-game reference anyway)

I'd advise against using anything from the softcover books anymore. Even with the latest FAQ, you'll be missing some of the changes.

TopsyKretts

Gang Hero
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Genestealer cult rules should be available in free pdf?

Most of the core rules are available in the new compilation books. All Gang War books are outdated and invalid. The rules book from the starter box is garbage, burn it with fire.

dallo019

Juve
Feb 16, 2014
Strong words there. Thanks for sharing. I ended up getting both the hardback books and I’m running a four man campaign over summer (God willing).

Currently I’m the only one with the hardback rules. I know the soft cover rules don’t have campaign stuff, but are they usable for playing games (with the FAQs)? We have a few copies of the soft cover rules about, so I’m hoping we don’t need to burn them. :p

Dallo

TopsyKretts

Gang Hero
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
The Gang War books have incorrect costs, stats, weapon profiles and rules. Nobody is able to make a complete list of all the stuff that's changed from N17 to N18. GW may give a short list of changes, but they have no idea the states their rules are in.

Reactions: dallo019