N18 Genestealers(Tyranids) and Chaos

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
Firstly apologies if this is wider 40K fluff question not just Necromunda.

Anyway, a line of thought got triggered by someone asking if a gang could be corrupted by both chaos and GSC. To which the N17 rules don't really have an answer but I'd lean against as an arbitrator.

Anyway, it got me wondering about the wider relationship between these two in fluff. My 40K knowledge is sometimes a little dated to an arguably cooler time but I did read this:

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/09/genestealer-cult-chaos-awesome.html

Which implies at one time it was thought the two could overlap. But then genestealer infected Orks and Khorne boys were once a thing too.

I think I briefly saw an article about a chaos(nurgle?) Infected hive fleet but can't find it any more. But any searches for it just come up with Kronos the chaos eating

Recent posts in 40k forums seem to be all Tyranids are immune to chaos, (fullstop). Which seems pretty poor fluff to me. I'm more a fan of a big universe where all things are possible (if rare) and no faction should even at a fluff level be unstoppable (see any fluff marine Vs gang discussion..)

Anyway, I guess compared to older more permissive GW. Modern fluff seems to shut such things down. But what fluff is there for/against chaos infected GSC/Tyranids or even GSC infected chaos... And if it changed when was that?

I'm aware that I've got a 7 edition gap in my fluff knowledge apparently stuff happened between RT and 9th...

So pointers to interesting articles welcome.

sumpthing

Hive Scum
Honored Tribesman
Jun 14, 2017
Perth, Australia
I'm pretty confident in saying that tyranids are imune to the chaos taint fullstop as well but I'm curious to see any differing opinions.

The main reason being from my understanding is simply that tyranids are devout of emotion which is what the chaos gods and their daemons feed on and use to manipulate their servants, rendering any control or even suggestion by a daemon or the gods themselves impossible.

The article is interesting reading but i think the fluff development since its writing would probably insinuate that sure you could try if you wanted to but don't expect it to be taken too seriously.

Reactions: Galtarr

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Pandemics & Trolls!
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Do Genestealer acolytes (or whatever) not have free will then?

Nov 14, 2018
Carmarthen
I think you could easily adapt a chaos gang that has been subsumed by the hive mind, but in a tainted manner where they are linked but not to the greater hive mind due to the chaos taint. However I'm not sure you could corrupt a gsc gang to chaos as what would be the lure for them?

sumpthing

Hive Scum
Honored Tribesman
Jun 14, 2017
Perth, Australia
Do Genestealer acolytes (or whatever) not have free will then?
By the limited amount of recent writing they've had, no. They seem to be firmly bound psychically to the will of their patriarch or magus.

I'm really hoping they get some attention from one of the black library writers soon though...

Reactions: Galtarr

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I can’t pinpoint any specific writing on it, but I’ve always imagined the hive mind as being so dominant that there’s no room for chaos influence. Maybe it’s because of the codex entries about what the critters do if there isn’t a Synapse Creature within range? (Hunt, Nest, etc)

Seracain

Juve
Jun 4, 2020
This is my take from general reading of lore, but I always assumed the reason a hive fleet was immune to chaos is because the the hive fleet stops the warp from being chaos. What I mean is that the Tyranids are perfect order, they all follow one will, one purpose with no divergence.

The warp is shaped by the minds of living creatures, which is why it's so full of chaos. Human, Ork, Eldar, they all have individual thoughts, feelins and desires. These things conflict in the warp regardless of if they actually act on them. That's why the warp is chaos.

The Tyranids are basically the antithesis of this. Billions or trillions of liveforms all unified in thought and purpose. They bend the warp to order from chaos in a way other factions simple cannot. Their sheer numbers and unified presence drowns out all other creatures affect on the warp, hence the shadow in the warp.

Genestealer cults are probably resistant but not immune. They are unnaturally unified too, counteracting the affects of chaos. But it's to a much lesser degree, that I imagine they aren't completely beyond the taint of chaos.

Heart of Storm

Gang Champion
Mar 8, 2019
One could argue that as the GSC in necromunda is a weak one, largely separated from the influence of its patriarch then they could be susceptible to the influence of chaos

Reactions: Punktaku

sumpthing

Hive Scum
Honored Tribesman
Jun 14, 2017
Perth, Australia
I'm having an issue uploading pictures but there is actually a few passages in the 8e genestealer cult codex about various infestations, one being on a tau world and another about a cult that is tainted by nurgle in the warp so I guess it's an option after all.

I'll try to post pictures again later.

Edit - unfortunately the vox net at mining colony designation WINU is compromised, administratum has been notified, expected response time 17 months...

Last edited: