Getting Wasted: Ash Waste Nomads

Borvin

Ganger
Oct 1, 2016
Jena
Hello Everyone

After a long time reading through several Threads i decided to present you my Gang and maybe get some enriching feedback.

I've played my first and only necromunda game 6 or 7 years ago as a young teenager and instantly liked it.
The small player base and lacking support from GW made me play Fantasy and 40k, then Flames of War before i discovered NCE last year august. Lurking around, reading a lot and getting inspiration from this forums i finally gathered enought courage to step into the light.

The Outlawes allways fascinated me, because of their precarious and scavenging nature. Therefor i liked the Ash Waste Nomads with their limited weapon access and Outhiver backround. But i'll talk about that as well as the Style later, here comes the list using the Redux by Commissariat

Leader 120
+Plasma Pistol 30
+Long Rifle 40

Heavy 70
+GL 60
+Krak Grenades 40

Heavy 70
+Long Rifle 40

5xGanger 60
+Autorifle 20

2xJuve 35
+Autopistol 15

Total: 970

The Boss gets a plasma Pistol because its pretty potent and a Long Rifle for the long range as well as fluffyness.
Giving the GL to a heavy makes it less effective (only BS3) but giving it to a heavy feels a little more 'right' to me. Anyway the GL offers a lot of different ammo types including Krak to meet the 'Wall breaching' requirement and Gas which Nomads are imune to.
The other Heavy should have gotten an heavy stubber, but beeing short in credits it is now a long rifle untill credits are looted.
The main stay are 5 Nomads with Autorifles, because i imagine Outhivers hardly having access to anything more fancy. I am thinking that maybe some shotgun and/or hunting rifle would also fit in well and be a tactical advantage.
Finally two juves with auto pistols and knives to finish shot down foes maybe making them Gangers one day.
All in all it is planned to be a shooty gang, with techno influences, as i imagine the Nomads to be creative when it comes to solutions for survival.
What i don't know is what to spend the remaining 30creds on. Frag for the GL? Some Scummer? So much cool stuff.
So what do you think about it?

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I'm not sufficiently familiar with different AWN rules to know your best options, but I always find it disappointing to see five gangers with identical load outs. I'd suggest mixing things up for variety. And, if you have them in this list, maybe some of those double-knife things that were supposed to be the signature weapons of the AWNs just for fluff.

EDIT: Also, welcome to the forum. You picked a good time to come back to Necromunda. I hope the opinion expressed above doesn't sound too harsh or critical, but I've always seen Necromunda as more like an RPG than a game for min-maxing the best weapon combos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Borvin and spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I would suggest switching one ganger up to a double knife (sword in all but name) and a autopistol, he leads the boarding actions and show sthe juves how its done (boarding when using vehicle rules in the wastes), and 2 shotguns as your home vehicle defences. That gives you some range, some closer range and some combat... while keeping the theme, and giving you more options when playing in hive or wastes.

Otherwise.. I commend your leader and heavy loadouts, fun looking list!

Reactions: Ben_S

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
"Breaching the Wall" is such awful fluff: there are so many other ways to enter & exit the hive (such as tunnels/vents or bribing one's way through) other than cracking the shell that is supposed to survive orbital bombardment. >_<

Um, anyway. Looking forward to seeing pics of your gang :-D

Borvin

Ganger
Oct 1, 2016
Jena
I'm not sufficiently familiar with different AWN rules to know your best options, but I always find it disappointing to see five gangers with identical load outs. I'd suggest mixing things up for variety. And, if you have them in this list, maybe some of those double-knife things that were supposed to be the signature weapons of the AWNs just for fluff.

EDIT: Also, welcome to the forum. You picked a good time to come back to Necromunda. I hope the opinion expressed above doesn't sound too harsh or critical, but I've always seen Necromunda as more like an RPG than a game for min-maxing the best weapon combos.
It did't sound harsh to me but insipiring.
You are absolutely right about the RPG character, and since i imagine AWN weapons to be a broad spectrum of looted guns, i think I'll do: 2 Autorifles, 1 Lasgun, 1 Shotgun, 1 Huntingrifle.
Thanks for that as well as the warm welcome!

"Breaching the Wall" is such awful fluff: there are so many other ways to enter & exit the hive (such as tunnels/vents or bribing one's way through) other than cracking the shell that is supposed to survive orbital bombardment. >_<

Um, anyway. Looking forward to seeing pics of your gang :-D
You are right, it sounds a bit ridiculous to breach a Domes outer wall. Still i like this rule, as it is challenge to me and a GL is something i would have taken anyway. I imagine that even the Vents and Tunnels at the lower levels are often full of debris or half collapsed, so that the Nomads have to blow their way through. :)
I am ordering my stuff soon and might be able to present you some pics before Christmas :LOL:
All i can say now is: Its gonna be arab/beduin style Nomads.

Oh, and if interested, this is my final Gang:
Leader 120
+Plasma Pistol 30
+Long Rifle 40

Heavy 70
+GL 60
+Krak Grenades 40

Heavy 70
+Long Rifle 40

Ganger 60
+Autorifle 20

Ganger 60
+Autorifle 20

Ganger 60
+Lasrifle 25

Ganger 60
+Huntingrifle 25

Ganger 60
+Shotgun 20
+Manstopper 5

Juve 35
+Autopistol 15

Juve 35
+Stubgun 10

Total: 980

Reactions: spafe and Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I imagine that even the Vents and Tunnels at the lower levels are often full of debris or half collapsed, so that the Nomads have to blow their way through. :)
I prefer that way of thinking about it. They're not going to blast through the main wall of the hive. But, even coming in through a sewer pipe or something, they may need to blast through some grill, hatch, etc.

Reactions: spafe

trollmeat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Nov 5, 2014
Meh, in that case change the wording to "in case their usual access ways are blocked with debris or effluence" :p

Borvin

Ganger
Oct 1, 2016
Jena