N18 Goliath List w/ No dermal hardening

Ratik

Juve
Jul 22, 2021
As there are lots of arbitrators and house rules out there limiting gene-smithing, I wanted to see if a list with NO dermal hardening and NO gene-smithing options duplicated could still be viable.
I initially wanted to make a broken and stupid list but I'm actually tempted to play what I've come up with.

I would be very interested to hear your any of your thoughts on the list below.

Looks reasonable to me, strength isn't necessary on shooty goliath so reducing that in exchange for more models is viable.

Personally I'd have found a way to get a second champion in their as it gives you more post battle actions, and therefore more income/trade post visits etc but this is a a reasonable gang

A second champion could well be worth it.
Maybe a third GL - unborn with fast shot. That would make some friends.
unborn with Munitioneer could be fun too.

Nice work-around (that Tryrant looks scary as hell!)

Is there any reason for you to prefer a CC Forge Boss over a Stimmer? Even tho I like his Name LOL I kinda think a Stimmer with double Spud-Jackers would be ages ahead in terms of CC output for (almost) the same costs.

Thank you kindly - reckon T6 and 3W is hard for any starter gang to put down.

Went for a forge boss because the stimmer model I have has pulverisers and I really like models to have exactly what they have on the list.
I was wrangling with the idea of shoehorning an unarmed stimmer with fists of steel (S+2, D2 unarmed attacks) with a frenzon collar from chem dealer in there instead.
Then using my 'Zerker model instead.

But went for a conventional forge boss for now.

A second champion could well be worth it.
Maybe a third GL - unborn with fast shot. That would make some friends.
unborn with Munitioneer could be fun too.
I don't get it, you cripple yourself by removing cheese-smithing, but considering taking 3 nade launchers? :unsure:

I don't get it, you cripple yourself by removing cheese-smithing, but considering taking 3 nade launchers? :unsure:
The groups I know seem less concerned by GL spam as they are by cheese-smithing.
Original plan was to see just how silly it could get without dermal hardening and or duplication.

Would 3 GLs be a dick move in your opinion?

Any 3x special weapon would be spam yes. Not necessarily a dick move, but the game got hundreds of weapons to choose from. It is the ultimate boring to pick 3 of the same type.

Reactions: MysticWolf
I think you have overinvested a bit into the survivability of some of your fighters. A smart opponent will just take out a couple of your weaker guys and force you to bottle. Or bring a lascannon and zap through all of that meat in one.

I think the better route is to increase your own damage output by going unborn, which lets you pick up trick shot and munitioneer, giving you more consistent offensive power. Fast shot also becomes really good if you couple it with nerves of steel.
Unborn gives you some survivability options as well, with doc's experiment and scar tissue. I consider scar tissue to be the best of all gene-smithing options.

Reactions: TopsyKretts
Thank you for your comments.
I think you are quite right T6 W3 is definitely an overinvestment. But, enemies needing a 6 to wound my leader on anything S3 is what I'm paying for.
A lascannon or mining laser is always a problem for anyone and likely to be avoidable or at least not come with suspensors in the early part of a campaign.

The survivability of anyone but the leader could certainly be less and your suggestions about unborn gene-smithing are great.
Moving towards fast shot with nerves of steel is fabulous. Unborn munitoneer is a bloody good idea too.

With docs experiment and when combined with scar tissue, would you upgrade T or W?

I think you are quite right T6 W3 is definitely an overinvestment. But, enemies needing a 6 to wound my leader on anything S3 is what I'm paying for.
Sure. But who in their right mind would use S3 weapons?

With docs experiment and when combined with scar tissue, would you upgrade T or W?
It depends on your local meta. If there are a lot of boltguns and plasma guns, go T. If grenade launchers are more common, go W. If you don't know the meta beforehand, or if weapon selection is very varied, I would say W, because it is always going to have an effect. Plus, T is less expensive to improve with XP later on.