N18 GoonHammer article on tactics cards

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
The good folks at GoonHammer have recently posted a very interesting article on tactics cards, including suggested house-rules for deck-building and a complete tier list of all currently available tactics cards (underdog tactics not included).

I've not read everything yet, but they seem to have a good grasp of what is powerful and what is not (though I'm not sure a 12 card deck provides enough randomness, gut-feeling says 20 would be better, with maybe a required minimum of 5 gang-specific cards (to avoid everyone carrying the exact same deck, as generic gang tactics appear to be the best ones))

At the very least, it should be an excellent starting place if you want to make your own deck-building house-rules and/or ban list.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Good find! Bit concerned about his nickname but the article is pretty good.

I do agree though that 20 and a D20 would be a better random choice. 12 seems too restrictive - especially if you have 175 to choose from!

If you had 20 you could also split the four tiers up better - otherwise I do worry that you’d just see non-stop top tier cards all the time.

JawRippa

Ganger
Mar 31, 2017
Aren’t there at least 12 or more “do additional action” cards in total? So you’d end up with very same-y decks

TopsyKretts

Gang Hero
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
I have to recalculate...

Starter box 2018: 18
Pre-order 2017: 1
Escher deck 2017: 20
Goliath deck 2017: 20
Orlock deck 2018: 20
Van Saar deck 2018: 20
Cawdor deck 2018: 20
Delaque deck 2018: 20
Warhammer Community 2019: 17
Enforcers deck 2019: 20
Underdog deck (standard tactics cards): 12

Should be 188? Underdog deck includes 13 Underdog tactics cards (not counted here) and 12 standard tactics cards (counted here).

Last edited:

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Hmmm... I wonder what they are missing then. They do have only 175 cards listed, so they are missing 13. I thought it would be the promo card and the 12 from the underdog pack, but Hive Tremors (the promo card) made the list.

Eh, wasn't there two cards with the same name? Maybe they have only listed one of the two (plus the 12 from the underdog pack)

Reactions: TopsyKretts

Devilmixer

Ganger
May 19, 2016
Albertslund, Danmark
Hmmm... I wonder what they are missing then. They do have only 175 cards listed, so they are missing 13. I thought it would be the promo card and the 12 from the underdog pack, but Hive Tremors (the promo card) made the list.

Eh, wasn't there two cards with the same name? Maybe they have only listed one of the two (plus the 12 from the underdog pack)
I think they are missing the cards from the underdog deck and the pre-order bonus card

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Yeah, there are two cards named Last Gasp (one is Orlock-specific and from the warhammer community pdf, the other is a generic one from the base set), but the two are listed in the article, so it's not the one.
The pre-order bonus card is also listed (Hive Tremors), as well as both Seize the Initiative and Take the initiative (the two cards with different names but the same effect)

Can someone check whether the tactics cards from the Underdog pack are listed?

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Here are the missing cards:

Gang tactics
  • Beast Repellent
  • Bullet Magnet
  • Counter-Assault
  • Grenade Bouquet
  • Last Round
  • Machine Curse
  • Makeshift Cover
  • Rejuve Stimm
  • Reload!
  • Sacrifice
  • Spreading Conflagration
  • Unstable Energy
Delaque tactics
  • Mass Infiltration
Seem to be the 12 from the underdog pack plus the Delaque from the warco pdf.

I also discovered that there are two cards named Rapid Fire (one gang tactics and one Van Saar tactics)

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
Ok, how about:
Use all the cards you have access to, minus ones belonging to gangs you're not going to play this campaign.
You have your four tiers, 1 being best, 4 being lowest. Now create four mini decks of each tier.
Shuffle decks before each game.
Randomly pick 1 from tier 1; 2 from tier 2; 3 from tier 3 and 4 from tier 4.

You now have 10 cards.

From these ten cards follow the instructions in the given scenario.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
That wouldn't really work with those tiers as tiers 4 is for swingy cards, not terribad cards (that's tiers 3), and there are only 4 of those.
Plus, if you do that, you'll end up with a very unbalanced decks and it will be tactics lottery all over again.

I'd say just let all players make the more broken 20 card deck they can think of. Then check the decks and ban all the cards that appear in every deck. Repeat until there is no card left to ban.

Merton

Feb 6, 2018
NJ
Oh maaaaaan, we missed a couple? That's embarrassin', but thanks for the catch guys! We'll be sure to update and include those, probably after the inevitable new cards are added with the November expansion.

Me and Dan have been struggling to find the good way to have players in our campaigns take the tactics into account as a way to add a layer of additional strategy into their gang's evolution, as well as bring in a bit more of the flavor that the gang-specific cards impart. Our solution is a constant work in progress, and now that I've found this thread I'm really digging the suggestions for next time. (Summer is a busy time, we haven't even booted up a L+M campaign yet.)