GorkaMorka Hired Guns

ineptmule

Gang Hero
Feb 17, 2011
Muswell Hill, UK
So I was thinking: GorkaMorka needs some more Hired Help. It's always a nice way to have some new characters in a campaign for narrative and gameplay reasons, and there are plenty of Ork archetypes that will fit the setting very well.

Here's my first submission: The Freebooter.

==============================

Freebooters are carefree and wild individuals, even by Ork standards. They give themselves over to a life of adventure, plunder and violence without hitching themselves to any particular banner. Wherever there are Orks, there will always be a handful of Freebooters cheerfully being a chaotic element of an already fractious society.

They are rugged, self-sufficient greenskins who enjoy ostentatious displays of wealth, spending every bit of cash they get on the best gear, gunz, gubbinz or ammo. Sometimes they form themselves into loose-knit Krews, who end up behaving much like a normal mob but with even more piracy and flashier gear. However, as the mindset of a Freebooter is somehow genetically coded into these individuals, they do not have teknikally-inclined spannerz or meks to keep their vehicles in tip-top condition. Often, a Freebooter will need to lug his buggy back to Mektown for a lengthy refit, or a Krew will ‘hove in’ to ‘port’ for a week or two while they get some repairs done. In this time, an Ork as free-spirited as a Freebooter cannot bear to stay still for long and will often sell his services for a short time to a mob to try and earn some share of the cash and keep getting shiny gubbinz like golden bullets or somesuch.

----------------------------------------------------

Hire Fee: 3 teef

Mob rating: 15 (eg. hire fee x5)

M4 WS3 BS3 S3 T4 W2 I3 A1 LD7

Skills: Headlong Leap (Ferocity skill)

Three 'Advances' - roll a D6 for each one:
1: Roll a further D6
1-2: BS
3-4: WS
5-6: I​
2: Roll a further D6
1-2: S
3-4: T
5: A
6: W​
3-4: Roll a further D6
1: Rapid Fire (Dakka skill)
2: Kool (Dakka skill)
3: Deadeye (Dakka skill)
4: Duck n Weave (Kunnin skill)
5: Gunboy (Odd skill)
6: Back Seat Driva (Odd skill)​
5-6: Roll a further D6:
1: Waaagh! (Ferocity skill)
2: Play Chicken (Ferocity skill)
3: Flying Tackle (Muscle skill)
4: Good Right Arm (Muscle skill)
5: 'Ard as Nails (Muscle skill)
6: Iron Jaw (Muscle skill)​

Equipment:
  • Kustom Shoota with 2 upgrades. If the same result is rolled, apply a random penalty as per the appropriate upgrade table:
1-2: Shootier
3-4: More Dakka
5-6: Longer Range​
  • Kustom Slugga or Six Shoota with 1 upgrade:
1-2: Shootier
3-4: More Dakka
5-6: Longer Range​
  • Kustom Frag Stikbombs with Shootier
  • Choppa, Chain or Uge Choppa
  • Knives or Knuckles
  • Studded or Eavy Amour
  • On a D6 roll of 5 or 6, the Freebooter has a dead 'ard looking bionik. Roll a D6 and consult the following table:
1: Hook Arm
2: Peg Leg
3: Telescopic Arm
4: De-Lux Kicking Leg
5: Bionik Eye
6: Cybork Body​

Special Rules:

Free Spirit: The Freebooter stays with the mob for the first game after he is hired. He then will leave the mob before being paid for the next game on a D6 roll of 5 or 6. He cannot be re-hired until after the next game, nor can another Freebooter be hired until at least one game has been played.

Salty Cur: As a dastardly pirate, the Freebooter has plenty of experience making boarding actions. This is already reflected in his higher than usual I stat and having Headlong Leap as standard. The controlling player should however bear his love of plunder in mind when deciding what to do with him!​

==============================

Last edited:

Shadowbadger

Gang Hero
Yak Supporter
Sep 22, 2014
But you are so good at writing them . . .

It would be unfair on the community if I actually did the work.

Reactions: ineptmule

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
Ooh! Exciting stuff!

A Hired Guns system has been in the roadmap for a while but it's not got as far as actual writing yet. I made a start in the Outlaw MC rules (Nomads on page 5) but didn't get further. I do intend to write rules for a Dust Rat gunslinger at some point (some stuff is written for that one though). I stumbled onto these rules a while back but that's about all that's out there.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Depiff suggests an Ork pit fighter (y)

Reactions: ineptmule

ineptmule

Gang Hero
Feb 17, 2011
Muswell Hill, UK
Nice! Glad to see you're keen Flamekebab. I've changed the thread title to be about Hired Guns in general, and we'll start compiling a list at the top.

As for the Freebooter - what do you guys think? Seem balanced? I think of him as being a bit like Necro's bounty hunter. 3 teef is a roughly equivalent cost, and with all of his extra stats and shiny equipment it kind of seems like the right level.

I've been thinking about what Goff Rockers would actually do and it's kind of hard.

Shadowbadger

Gang Hero
Yak Supporter
Sep 22, 2014
I had a rough idea for them a while back.

The idea was that you hired them, along with their stage, which was a platform trailer. You need a trukk to tow the trailer.

They do not fight, they play. All models, on both sides within 12 inches of the stage hear the music and may reroll any leadership or initiative tests, not saying both, just cannot remember which would be most appropriate. Whatever makes you drive better etc.

Add rules for trailer hitch detaching. When trukk rammed.

Add rules for steeling the trailer and towing it yourself.

Add rules that nobody can target the rockers as its not kool.

Add some kind of post game penalty for accidentally killing a rocker. Very not kool.

A very random hired gun I know, but its Gorkamorka. I will try and flesh it out in the morning.

Flamekebab

Gang Hero
Gorkamorka Warboss
Feb 17, 2011
Rotherham, UK
fox-box.co.uk
Ooh, that could be handy for a mini-campaign (like Da Grodkart) based on Goff Rockers (I think the first scenario was getting the the venue, then one that's a defence one, finally a Da Chase one for leaving in a hurry!). Creative Commons FTW.

ineptmule

Gang Hero
Feb 17, 2011
Muswell Hill, UK
As I was looking at the Rocker minis I thought it would be cool for the whole band to be the hired gun, and having them playing on a trailer sounds fun.

A re-roll to LD and/or I seems an easy bonus that's straightforward to apply. Perhaps there should be some kind of pre/post game thing to do with them that makes them more than just a Battle Standard :)

ineptmule

Gang Hero
Feb 17, 2011
Muswell Hill, UK
Ahhhh that's reminded me that I wrote rules to go with a Wyrdboy model that I made which would be definitely worth adding to the list up top. He's definitely more of a scenario special character though. I'll see if I can find them.