N18 Grenades - wargear or ranged weapons?

UncleFester

Ganger
Jun 12, 2011
Danville, CA, USA
Grenade trait says:
Despite being Wargear, grenades are treated as a special type of ranged weapon.​

What the heck does that mean? Are they Wargear or weapons?
Do they count toward your 3 allowed weapon slots?
Can you Aim when throwing them? (I thought you previously couldn't.)
Do Shooting skills work with grenades?

anscarii

Juve
Nov 4, 2018
spain
Grenade trait says:
Despite being Wargear, grenades are treated as a special type of ranged weapon.​

What the heck does that mean? Are they Wargear or weapons?
Do they count toward your 3 allowed weapon slots?
Can you Aim when throwing them? (I thought you previously couldn't.)
Do Shooting skills work with grenades?
Consensus is that they are wargear. They come on the wargear part of the example fighter cards. They dont count yowards max 3 weapons and you can remove it of a fighter card.
Using a grenade is a shooting (basic) action and as such you can aim or even fast shot with them.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
I think the best way to look at it is they count as Wargear outside of battle (when you buy stuff and equip your fighters) and as Weapons during a battle (they can be selected when making ranged attacks). Pets work in a similar way, being treated as Wargear outside of battle and as fighters (with a few exceptions) during battle (including the pre and post battle sequences).

Reactions: spafe

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
A friend playing Van Saar wanted to give them weapon traits from that Van Saar territory, for example Blaze and Rad. I think that's not possibly because they're not weapons, and explicitly stated as not being a weapon (can't remember page).

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Almost, he also got the Promethium Cache territory, so got 3 Incendiary nades for free. This allows for some potentially insane combos, like Blaze, Rad-phage and Shock. He already chose Blaze and Rad-phage, so didn't stack perfectly well since Incendiary nades already have Blaze. But it helps a lot for making ammo rolls, since Promethium Cache also allows for re-rolling ammo for Blaze weapons (granted they survive Unstable).