Gryphon’s Cleave Dominion Campaign

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
The burgeoning downhive town of Gryphon’s Cleave is nestled in between the two larger domes known as Black Spyre and Mon Taynsly. It’s continued growth has lead the town to establish its own council to run the town and control the increase in trade moving through the town.

As the councils power as waxed the tithe on trade has also increased to cover all sorts of unnecessary town improvements, like running water and sanitary drainage. Unfortunately in an effort to fund their latest town improvement the council has pushed the tithes too high for the Guilders to accept.

In retaliation the Guilders have successfully petitioned Lord Helmwar to have the council declared heretics for their use of democratic elections and the town of Gryphon’s Cleave is now considered vacant territory for any gang to claim.

https://yaktribe.games/underhive/campaigns/gryphon's_cleave.1878/

Last edited:

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Campaign Rules and House Keeping

Gryphon’s Cleave Dominion Campaign

Welcome to everyone taking part (and watching from the sidelines) for this Dominion campaign. For everyones reference below are the campaign rules, house rules and other house keeping things that everyone needs to keep in mind to help make this a successful campaign.

The campaign will be run in line with the GW4 rules for Dominion Campaign based on 6 weeks of Occupation Phase, Downtime over the Christmas break, and then 6 weeks of Takeover Phase.

Players are allowed to make ONE challenge per fortnight of the Occupation and Takeover phases starting with the player with the lowest number of territories (roll off for any draws).

Unless stated in this post the rules as written in Gang War 4, Gang War 3, Gang War 2, Gang War 1 and Underhive will be used in full (order of precedence for rules is this document, Gang War 3, Gang War 2, Gang War 1 and then Underhive)

Gang Creation

Gangs can be created from any of the Gang War books, or the Gangs of Legend PDF, or from any of the White Dwarf articles (Venators, Chaos Cult, Genestealer cult) with the following amendments:

1/ All weapons will use the weapon stats in the GW3 book.

2/ Expanded House Weapon lists from GW3 are to be used.

3/ Common items in the trading post are always available, including at gang creation

4/ Gangers are limited to Special Weapon access. When the gang is created one ganger can be armed with a special weapon. However only 1 ganger can be equipped with a special weapon for every full 10 rep the gang has (i.e. 0-10 rep means 1 special weapon, 11-20 means 2 special weapons, etc.).

In addition the following house rules/clarifications also apply:

1/Blast Weapons.

The blast template must be placed touching the closest enemy model, unless a cool check is passed. If the cool check is passed then the blast can be placed wherever the shooter wants.

In addition blast weapons suffer a -1 to hit unless they are centred over a target miniature.

2/ Tactic Cards.

When a scenario allows card selection the player should take 5 random cards and then select their cards from the 5 random cards.

3/ WYSIWYG

All models should be modelled with their main weapon that they had at gang creation. Weapons added after gang creation should be modelled as soon as practicable.

4/ Items aren't locked to an individual model, you can freely trade weapons, war gear and armour among all fighters.

5/ House Favours

House favours may not be called in for the first 2 weeks of the campaign.

In addition each gang gets -1 to the roll for every gang in the campaign with a lower rating than them.

6/ Toxin attacks get a save. (Less a house rule and more a reminder as this seems to be the intent.)

7/ Ganger Advances, +20 cr for WS/BS and +5 cr for Wil/Ld. (use the table from GW4!!!)

8/ Recovery. Models that suffer being in recovery only miss one game and one post game sequence.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
A number of gangs have descended on the town of Gryphon's Cleave and taken over the surrounding settlements in an attempt to get a foothold in the area.

As the council try to hold onto control of the area the gangs begin to make their move on the town and it's surrounding area.

Who will end up in control of the town is anyone guess.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Silt Soldiers and Alice Unhinged are closer to each other than the other gangs. if you swapped 8 and 9 they'd be almost all 2 hexes apart.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Yep. I randomly placed all the territories including starting settlements.

As gangs can attack any territory any time the actual location of the territories is largely irrelevant.

That said originally the silt soldiers actually had the central settlement but I decided to switch them with the other on the edge so I could claim the central settlement is actually Gryphon’s Cleave.

rdte1987

Feb 6, 2018
Australia
Game: Silt Soliders vs Dust Hounds

Territory: Toll Crossing

Mission: Border Dispute

Result: Dust Hounds Win.

Scenario/Summary

This was my first time playing the Border Dispute mission and it is actually one of the better ones once you get past the wonky deployment. I thought the drawing of tactics cards each turn would be less fun but it actually added a moment of anticipation because you are thinking that you might be something that makes a big difference. I also am not a fan of randomised deployment zones just because it gets fiddly if you deployment zone is a straight line on a 30 degree angle or something. That said, my best moment was being an absolute legend and my roll of the scatter dice genuinely game down parallel to the board edge – this made it a lot easier to play on a 4’x4’ table in a somewhat cramped space.

This game was a bloodbath where I fell behind early (more on that later) and I just couldn’t quite claw my way back. We went 6 or 7 turns back and forth and it was a lot of fun. All in all I think my opponent made fewer mistakes than me so deserved to win. The luck was probably about even overall. However, because I made a bit of a mistake early on I had to take risks to get back in it and I needed a couple of key rolls to go my way (which they mostly didn’t).

Key Moment 1
The randomisation resulted in both of us having our leader and three gangers start on the board. My leader (blunderbuss/polearm) had to start dead centre whereas my opponent had to start with a ganger central. This actually ended up having massive repercussions on the whole game because these two models were basically in the open and begging to get wrecked.

I had the first turn and I knew I had to activate my leader first (or he was going to get boltgun rounds to the face from my opponents leader). Sidenote – boltguns seem slightly undercosted or overtuned, not sure which. My two choices were basically to try and kill the ganger 1” away or to skedaddle into a more defensive position with the leader. I ended up going with charging into combat. There were three factors that swayed me on this.

1) I figured having the extra attacks and WS and S would mean a decent chance to SI/OoA the ganger,
2) if I succeed I can consolidate behind some terrain so the boltgun leader literally cannot see me; and,
3) I tend to go the more aggressive option if I can’t decide.

Unfortunately, the net result was 0 wounds on the ganger. I think I missed two of three attacks and either failed to wound or had the wound saved for the last attack. At this point I felt ok because I was engaged and feeling safe. The problem was that I always overestimate how safe being in combat makes you. This is probably from my wargaming history where you either couldn’t shoot into combat (40k/fantasy in the editions I played) or took a massive penalty (-4 in WMH). In Necromunda, it is just a -1 as far as I can tell. This meant my opponent could walk a shotgun ganger over and take a shot at me needing a 5+ to hit, which he did (Damage 2 is so powerful!!!). He also wounded and I failed my save and that resulted in a my leader going to seriously injured where he was subsequently coup de graced by the ganger he charged. Bummer! The odds of this shot are low-ish (~12%) but not nearly as low as I had estimated. It also didn’t really put the shotgun ganger in any real danger.

I did manage to autogun my opponents leader off a platform (doing a wound and pinning him) which was pretty cinematic and helped to make me feel a bit better. Thankfully, I passed my bottle test because bottling on turn 1 would have made for a lame game (although it would have spared the rest of my gang!). I'm not too sure how bottle tests interact with reinforcements. It feels like all the reinforcements should count towards the roll otherwise if you roll low on you d3+3 then a single casualty means you have a really large chance to bottle.

Other stuff that happened
The next couple of turns basically involved my reinforcements coming in on my left as I tried to take one side. My opponent got unlucky on a couple of his reinforcement rolls so I could stick a ganger and a champ way-the-truck-away. This gave me enough time to try and get back in the game. My opponents leader was boltgunning guys down but most of them were getting seriously injured not killed outright. I was pinning stuff but not killing much. Unfortunately, my downed guys were staying down (or bleeding out) and it might have made all the difference if 1-2 of them got back up (if only so my opponent had to spend an activation shooting them down again.

I krak crossbowed (and ran out of ammo on the first shot) a champ to the face but he just got a flesh wound. My poor juve got shredded with a heavy stubber immediately after coming on the board. A few guys here and there got shot.

I almost had the only situation where a polearm/autogun is better than a autogun and axe (5 creds cheaper) because a guy stood up from being pinned and was going to use the 2" shooting option (i.e. the polearm with versatile rule) except we realised the weapon is unwieldy so i needed both actions to 'fire' it. I might petition for us to house rule this because it is silly.

Key Moment 2
I finally got some good guns into position and got a shot on my opponents leader with my blunderbuss champ with emperors wrath rounds. If I can take him down then I can get some respite and start to get into position (and I might be able to despoil his relic). I get within range and hit (needing a 4+ I think) and knock him into a wall, I successfully wound. He needs a 6+ to save or I am rolling 2x injury dice (i.e. ~90% chance of a SI or OOA). The dice comes down…. And is a 6. Bummer! The shot was something like a 25% (the 25% includes the hit roll btw) to get him SI/OOA but the luck didn’t quite go my way.

From here, it becomes very hard for me to recover. I end up setting his leader on fire next turn but have to move the champ in the open to get in range (the leader had moved into cover making the emperors wrath shot a low chance to hit). Moving further forward means that my champ is more at risk and hegets combat shotgunned to death (well seriously injured but he bleeds out a turn or 2 later). His leader burns down a bit and eventually gets seriously injured but he recovers. I might have had a chance if his fire roll had sent him running towards my guys because then i could have coup de graced him when he got seriously injured.

Meanwhile I’ve had very ordinary luck on my recovery rolls – I must have made 3-4 assisted recovery rolls on one guy who just stayed down. My crossbow ganger ends up in a melee with three orlock guys (he does kill the orlock champ eventually). Eventually my opponents models get up and mine gradually die and I bottle with 6 guys dead and 1 seriously injured.

Summary

At the end of the day i made a mistake at the start which set me behind the 8-ball and the two biggest moments went against me. My opponent got a little bit lucky on his shotgun shot on my leader. Not super lucky but a little bit. I got a little bit unlucky on the blunderbuss shot on his leader. Not super unlucky but a little bit. The repercussions of both moments were huge. Losing my leader early meant I was at a numbers disadvantage in the early rounds so i couldnt control/manipulate activation order (in addition to just being a bit outgunned). This meant I had to take a few risks to try and get back into it (e.g. being aggressive with my blunderbuss champ). Also, the ganger i didnt kill with the leader ended up being a royal pain in the behind.

I've thought about it a bit and i am pretty sure i chose wrong with the leader. I overestimated how likely he was to succeed (something like 50%) and i didnt properly evaluate what would happen if he didnt. I think the correct play would have been to run into a more defensible position and to try and chip away at the orlocks.

Outcomes
I bottled in the end (not voluntarily i might add) but neither relic got despoiled. We just treated that as the Orlocks getting the territory but both players get the normal post game rewards (let me know if this is incorrect almic). I got 40 creds from the rewards and 40 creds from my settlement and rolled a free juve. I also sent my champ and the leader (thankfully he only went out cold) to the trading post meaning my roll of 9 (on 2d6) is actually a 12.

A bunch of my guys ended up in recovery:
Champ (Ash) - recovery
Ganger (Soot) - Eye Injury (thankfully his gun is a template weapon)
Ganger (Dusty) - Leg Injury (i guess im used to 4" movement from my goliaths and vansaar)
Ganger (Sandy) - recovery.

Ive used my credits to buy some stimms, another juve, pistols for the new juves and some incendiary charges (10 credits in the trading post sure beats 40 in the house list!) although it does make for an expensive juve for GR purposes!).

At least the free juve and the purchased juve will mean i can field 8 guys next time instead of 6...

Reactions: MedMos and almic85

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
a polearm/autogun is better than a autogun and axe (5 creds cheaper) because a guy stood up from being pinned and was going to use the 2" shooting option (i.e. the polearm with versatile rule) except we realised the weapon is unwieldy so i needed both actions to 'fire' it. I might petition for us to house rule this because it is silly.
No need to petition to change it. The weapon is only unwieldy in close combat, ergo you can move up and “shoot” with it using the versatile trait.

As for shooting into combat the only thing to keep in mind is if he misses then the other person in combat can be hit by a stray shot (even if they are not between the shooter and target).

I will need to check the rule on bottle tests as well as I think it has changed with the gang leaders pack scenarios.

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
From the gang leader pack.

FLEEING THE BATTLEFIELD
lf a gang voluntarily Bottles out and flees the, battlefield, their opponent automatically wins the scenario. Additionally, the leader of the winning gang is considered to have defiled the losing gangs gang relic.

So because you actually bottled you are good on that front.

Orlock get the victory because you bottled and they get the territory.

Both of you get d6x10 credits as neither relic was defiled.

So it all looks good.

rdte1987

Feb 6, 2018
Australia
Ta. I think we probably forgot the extra xp for the orlock leader then.

Tbh, I find that once the game starts I just play so it is super easy to forget little rules. Especially with about 5000 books to check lol.

I thought the pole arm was unwieldy in cc too because you can’t get an extra attack with 2nd melee weapon or am I mistaken on that front??

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Polearms are only unwieldy in close combat, so you can't use a second weapon with them in close combat unless you have bulging biceps.

Because versatile attacks are technically ranged attacks at the moment unwieldy doesn't affect them, but you only get one ranged shot with them.

The new rules soon to come out will change how unwieldy works, but we can cross that bridge once they are officially released.

edit: Orlocks don't count as having defiled the relic as you didn't voluntarily bottle. That whole paragraph only applies if you voluntarily bottle (at least that's how I read it).

Ironside83

Juve
Feb 8, 2018
Australia
The Fight for the Synth Stills
- ROID vs Alice Unhinged

For a week and a half, the tensions between ROID and Alice have been simmering away. With @almic85 and I both struggling to find a time that worked for both of us, finally the stars aligned and the competing claims to the Gryphon's Cleave Synth Stills reached that flash-point.

Seven Goliaths and Ten Eschers cautiously made their way through the corridors leading to a central drug manufacture facility (and... by facility, I mean it was a cafeteria table, in an otherwise empty room).

'First blood' came quite unexpectantly as the Goliaths filed through a doorway... Pushing his minions through, Duke Roman Scar lobbed a long range shot at the advancing ladies before getting knocked-out when one of the Escher tripped the Manual Door Override slamming the door on his head.

Undeterred by the loss of the Duke, the Goliath continued their advance under a brief hail of hotshot lasgun fire followed by a series of awkward 'clicks' as Escher rifles continued to deplete their ammo.

In an uncharacteristically complex tactical move, the meathead Goliaths sent two of their troops to circle around, but they were held up as the the Escher lobbed Photon Flash grenades in a delaying action.

Pressing forward, the Goliath forces knocked out one Escher Juve with a Combat Shotgun and Champion Dash Adonis caved in the skull of another with his power hammer, consolidating into a seemingly never ending stream of Escher adolescents.

The skirmish on the flank ended as multiple Escher managed to overwhelm a Renderizer armed Ganger in close combat.

In a desperate attempt to rescue the second Juve trapped in combat by Dash Adonis, gang-mates lobbed more Photon-Flash grenades amongst the combatants, hoping that the Juve's higher initiative would give her an opportunity to slip away. The inexperienced Juve forgot to look away and ended up blinded herself whilst Dash averted his eyes just in time.

At this point the Goliath failed their bottle check. Half their number fled, whilst Dash refused to turn tail. He was determined to finish his tiny blind opponent. Which he did... easily - just before following up into Big Alice herself.

Having watched Dash wade through the middle of the Escher gang and directly threaten their leader, the Gangers piled in to assist the far more valuable Alice.

Outnumbering Dash four to one, Alice unfurled her twin shock whips and lashed out dropping him to the ground...

At this point ROID fled leaving Alice to start the business of chem manufacture. In the clean up, the Escher girls stumbled across a groggy and confused Duke who had been abandoned by his fighters.

The girls ransomed the shackled and shamed Duke back for 100 credits... a tidy sum for procuring the ingredients for a contraband cook-up.

Reactions: almic85

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
At the end of the first cycle 3 of 4 challenges were laid down and 3 territories were claimed.

The Dust Hounds beat out the Silt Soldiers to claim the Toll Crossing giving them control of the road leading into town.

The Silt Soldiers failed to take the Tech Bazaar from the might of ROID who are still trying to figure out what the shiny things do.

While Alice Unhinged chased ROID away from the Synth Still allowing them to further their chemical empire.

Next cycles order of challenges is
1/ Silt Soldiers
2/ ROID
3/ Alice Unhinged
4/ Dust Hounds

Reactions: Ironside83