N18 GSC Familiar and Infiltrate

Discussion in 'Rules, Mechanics & Skills' started by andrewedwardbrown, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Hi everyone,

Just a quick one. I am toying with taking some infiltrating Acolytes with me GSC list. These acolytes will be accompanied by psychic familiars.

If i take infiltrate on the acolyte as a starting skill does this mean that the familiar is set up with him via infiltration as well?

TopsyKretts likes this.
  2. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

Very interesting. I would assume no, since no pet can ever gain the Infiltrate skill.

3. Alobar

Alobar Gang Hero

In the pets section it says that pets are set up with their owners, so I would assume it's a yes...

4. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Tribe Council Yak Comp 2nd Place

I'd say it plays like @Alobar suggests mate

But beware, you will be a dirty dirty infiltrator scum (eh who am I kidding, you'll be used to it after being a dirty dirty van saar player!)

5. Jacob Dryearth

Jacob Dryearth Gang Hero

Familiars are sooooo anoying!

spafe likes this.
  6. Pffft! Call the Care Police Tristan! I need all the help i can get!

TopsyKretts and spafe like this.
  7. Alobar

Alobar Gang Hero

Get an Ambot on top, which has infiltrate, and you're golden. Infiltrate is strooonggg!

8. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Tribe Council Yak Comp 2nd Place

dont encourage him! I thought you were cool @Alobar

Alobar likes this.
  9. Ambot's have infiltrate you say??

Shame my Rep is blatantly never going to get above 5 and the Rogue Doc is really where it's at for the first hanger-on!

spafe likes this.
  10. KA7777

KA7777 Ganger

It doesn't really say this. It says that pets can deploy if their owner deploys, but it doesn't say that they deploy within the 3" friendship bubble of their owner. My read is that you can therefore still infiltrate with the Acolyte, but the Familiar will have to deploy according to the normal restrictions of the scenario (and then immediately start running towards its master, if it has any brains at all).

Still might not be the most terrible idea to play it that way, since the 3++ and lack of impact on bottling makes a solo Familiar a low-value target. It stinks that the Acolyte won't have Omen protection behind enemy lines, though.

11. KA7777

KA7777 Ganger

Where are you getting this from?

The Familiar has access to the Cunning table. Did I miss some more-specific restriction to that particular skill?

12. See this is rather how i read it as well - it doesn't specifically say "he comes along for the ride" but i would say that his very nature implies it. Kind of one of those things that you've got to house rule i think.

spafe likes this.
  13. Thorgor

Thorgor Of The YAQ

For what it's worth, in GW3 it used to say that "you may choose to deploy the Exotic Beast alongside their owner", implying they are always deployed close to their owner.

Scavvierising, TopsyKretts and spafe like this.
  14. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

Did you check out the page for exotic beasts?
    uc?export=view&id=1Yxy_gw87hmYQ8C6gaWmsczUzogOqM5Ib.png

Only 3 Cunning skills are available to pets: Backstab, Evade and Lie Low.

It probably would be even more confusing if the pet got Infiltrate while the owner didn't.

15. KA7777

KA7777 Ganger

Thanks Topsy, I had only looked at the GSC gang pdf. Had no idea anything originating from it actually made it into the printed books.

16. Thorgor

Thorgor Of The YAQ

The screenshot is from Topsy's pdf compilation, but you can also find those tables in Gangs on the Underhive, p105 (it doesn't have the familiars but that's not what is important, the important part is that pets roll on a truncated D3 table where Infiltrate doesn't exist).

#16 Thorgor, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    TopsyKretts likes this.
  17. KA7777

KA7777 Ganger

Good point.

There might actual be some abusive advantage you can get from deploying a pet away from the owner, too, completely outside of the Infiltration question. I haven't thought of one yet, but I'm sure the situations exist. Might be better to restrict all pets to the 3" zone by default.

I came across another pets quandary the other day: what happens when they're involved in a scenario with Sentries? Does the pet roll for movement separate from its owner and wander off? Does it move at the same pace as its owner? Must it take the same facing as its owner, or can it cover a different angle? Does it activate as a normal model (after its owner has activated in Sentry mode) and completely break the Sentry rules?

#17 KA7777, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    TopsyKretts and Alobar like this.
  18. TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts Gang Hero

Sorry I was teasing. Sent you a lifetime subscription for the complete 100% rules.

19. Scavvierising

Scavvierising Ganger
    Honored Tribesman

If you don't deploy pets next to owners it forces it to take CL tests to see if it breaks automatically rallies when it gets within 3" and so gain 1xp. Could be worth doing on your first turn if your that sort of person.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice