N18 GSC Familiar and Infiltrate

Oct 16, 2012
Harrow, United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Just a quick one. I am toying with taking some infiltrating Acolytes with me GSC list. These acolytes will be accompanied by psychic familiars.

If i take infiltrate on the acolyte as a starting skill does this mean that the familiar is set up with him via infiltration as well?

Reactions: TopsyKretts

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
In the pets section it says that pets are set up with their owners, so I would assume it's a yes...
I'd say it plays like @Alobar suggests mate

But beware, you will be a dirty dirty infiltrator scum (eh who am I kidding, you'll be used to it after being a dirty dirty van saar player!)

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
In the pets section it says that pets are set up with their owners, so I would assume it's a yes...
It doesn't really say this. It says that pets can deploy if their owner deploys, but it doesn't say that they deploy within the 3" friendship bubble of their owner. My read is that you can therefore still infiltrate with the Acolyte, but the Familiar will have to deploy according to the normal restrictions of the scenario (and then immediately start running towards its master, if it has any brains at all).

Still might not be the most terrible idea to play it that way, since the 3++ and lack of impact on bottling makes a solo Familiar a low-value target. It stinks that the Acolyte won't have Omen protection behind enemy lines, though.

Oct 16, 2012
Harrow, United Kingdom
It doesn't really say this. It says that pets can deploy if their owner deploys, but it doesn't say that they deploy within the 3" friendship bubble of their owner. My read is that you can therefore still infiltrate with the Acolyte, but the Familiar will have to deploy according to the normal restrictions of the scenario (and then immediately start running towards its master, if it has any brains at all).

Still might not be the most terrible idea to play it that way, since the 3++ and lack of impact on bottling makes a solo Familiar a low-value target. It stinks that the Acolyte won't have Omen protection behind enemy lines, though.
See this is rather how i read it as well - it doesn't specifically say "he comes along for the ride" but i would say that his very nature implies it. Kind of one of those things that you've got to house rule i think.

Reactions: spafe

TopsyKretts

Gang Hero
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
Where are you getting this from?

The Familiar has access to the Cunning table. Did I miss some more-specific restriction to that particular skill?
Did you check out the page for exotic beasts?
uc?export=view&id=1Yxy_gw87hmYQ8C6gaWmsczUzogOqM5Ib.png

Only 3 Cunning skills are available to pets: Backstab, Evade and Lie Low.

It probably would be even more confusing if the pet got Infiltrate while the owner didn't.

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
Thanks Topsy, I had only looked at the GSC gang pdf. Had no idea anything originating from it actually made it into the printed books.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
The screenshot is from Topsy's pdf compilation, but you can also find those tables in Gangs on the Underhive, p105 (it doesn't have the familiars but that's not what is important, the important part is that pets roll on a truncated D3 table where Infiltrate doesn't exist).

Last edited:
Reactions: TopsyKretts

KA7777

Ganger
Jan 19, 2018
Canada
For what it's worth, in GW3 it used to say that "you may choose to deploy the Exotic Beast alongside their owner", implying they are always deployed close to their owner.
Good point.

There might actual be some abusive advantage you can get from deploying a pet away from the owner, too, completely outside of the Infiltration question. I haven't thought of one yet, but I'm sure the situations exist. Might be better to restrict all pets to the 3" zone by default.

I came across another pets quandary the other day: what happens when they're involved in a scenario with Sentries? Does the pet roll for movement separate from its owner and wander off? Does it move at the same pace as its owner? Must it take the same facing as its owner, or can it cover a different angle? Does it activate as a normal model (after its owner has activated in Sentry mode) and completely break the Sentry rules?

Last edited:

Scavvierising

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
Good point.

There might actual be some abusive advantage you can get from deploying a pet away from the owner, too, completely outside of the Infiltration question. I haven't thought of one yet, but I'm sure the situations exist. Might be better to restrict all pets to the 3" zone by default.

I came across another pets quandary the other day: what happens when they're involved in a scenario with Sentries? Does the pet roll for movement separate from its owner and wander off? Does it move at the same pace as its owner? Must it take the same facing as its owner, or can it cover a different angle? Does it activate as a normal model (after its owner has activated in Sentry mode) and completely break the Sentry rules?
If you don't deploy pets next to owners it forces it to take CL tests to see if it breaks automatically rallies when it gets within 3" and so gain 1xp. Could be worth doing on your first turn if your that sort of person.