Halfling Treemen models

AndeeT

Ganger
Apr 16, 2016
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Hey Blood Bowl fans,

I've just seen the new Halfling models for BB;

New BB 'flings

They look ace, and are probably my favourite sculpts of the BB16 teams so far. I would love to grab a box when they arrive, but it reminded me I still have a team of the old Halfings waiting to be painted. I'm just missing a couple of treemen.

I know there's a new treeman for BB16 but I want to stick with the old school to match my models.

My question was; how much bigger are the old Warhammer Fantasy Treemen? Like this guy;
warhammer+wood+elf+treeman.jpg

The normal big guys already take up a massive space when prone and this guy looks like he might take up a whole wide zone to himself!
Does anyone have any experience using those models on the BB pitch?

As an alternative I was thinking of the old Warhammer Dryads;
dryad4_old.jpg

Or maybe stick with the big dood and get one of those prone markers?

Cheers

Andy

(new forum is wicked btw)

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I've played someone using those dryads. They don't look like ST6 players, but they were easily identifiable and much more practical. I guess it depends whether you want something like 'realism'/ 'immersion' or think of them as just game pieces.

Reactions: AndeeT

AndeeT

Ganger
Apr 16, 2016
Cheers @Ben_S. Weirdly, I hadn’t even thought about how the dryads sized up to opposing teams. Just thought ‘well, they are twice the size of the halflings, so that should work’. But then I guess that’s every model, haha!

That’s made me think to go with the treemen and just use prone markers :)

Thanks @Howks , I wasn’t even aware of those models. They would certainly fit a wood elf team well! (I’m eyeing up the new pro elves for sure)

Last edited:
Reactions: Howks

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Given that we have 2nd edition teams facing off against current GW teams in our league, I don't think anyone can get too bothered about scale between teams. The new Halflings are probably bigger than some old Dwarfs...

DArquebus

Ganger
Aug 7, 2012
Sydney, Oz
@AndeeT - I use that very first model as one of my Fling Treemen. He works ok when he is up and about. But I tend to use a Fanath Monster Dice marker for all my Big Guys these days.... 1) they look cool, 2) they fit nicely in the squares on the pitch and still act as a very visible reminder that there is a player there. I find the token sets some people use in plave for 'Prone/ Stunned' are easy to overlook for yourself or opponents and leads to awkward moments when they are remembered.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I don't actually have a 'fling team but, if I did, I'd use this guy:

It's a Gormiti toy that I repainted. Base is 40mm (for scale).

AndeeT

Ganger
Apr 16, 2016
Thanks all. @Ben_S thats very true about scale. Just saw a pic of 5th edition Pro elves vs BB16 elves and it’s like a halflings vs an elf, it’s not even close.

Cheers @DArquebus for the detailed info. I hadn’t even thought about the prone markers. I know I would certainly appreciate something a bit bigger to remember what models are where.

Just saw GW are doing the 4th edition Treeman as made to order for this week only;

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/MTO-Blood-Bowl-Treeman-2019

Though he looks a bit soulless. The old WHF ones looks much better I reckon.
They are also doing the pot and master chef. Might pick those up.

Cheers
Andy

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Yup, total change in scale:
Going by those photos, the difference is about a half a head in height. For a real life human, that means the difference of about five inches, between someone 5'7" and 6'0", or between someone 5'9" and someone 6'2" [since we're talking American Football players]. So... entirely within normal variability. The only really noticable difference in a mix will be (a) base size [but that can be altered to suit, up or down, to your own preference], and (b) dynamic posing. Generally, the old models are variations on the "starfish" pose that old models have to aid casting [some better disguised than others], and the new models are much more... dynamic in their posing.

But size difference? Nothing beyond the realm of real world normality. At least, for human, ork, etc. I have not seen a new halfling next to an old halfling yet, but based on what we HAVE seen, I would expect the difference to be about a half a halfling head - so three or four inches if transposed to real-life heights. This expectation might be proved horrendously wrong, with the new being literally head-and-shoulders above the old [yes, yes, I know, that too is real-world possible, but starts to look curious in a sports team in real life when it does happen, so maybe save that for star players? heh!]. But that difference isn't nearly so strange as we seem to expect.

Actually, outside of the Star Wars Empire prequels, it seems strange to have a team of identical, clone-like matching heights. So what if they're a little short to be a stormtrooper? Heh!

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Some scale-by-comparison photos are cropping up on the Mordheim Facebook group. They come to around old-dwarf-height, when measured up against an old-human-mercenary-now-Freeguild model. So... the size of old dwarf models.

They have not yet been added to this scale guide:
and my guess is, an update won't be forthcoming.

Here is one scaled against a Blood Bowl six-sider, though, which gives an excellent idea of size:
image_0e73c0e8-4f3a-4deb-98d0-cbb2331ffb27.jpg

3 comments
Last edited:

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Thanks for the pointer. That one wasn't easy to find, until I realised it might be hidden in the comments, which it was.

Compared to the classic models, they definitely look larger than a dwarf should be to me (though, of course, the actual size of dwarfs has also increased over time).

Reactions: Aulenback