Happy New Yak! Resolutions for 2020

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Happy New Year Yaks!

Its that time of year again. Time for us to all share our New Yak's resolutions. Tell us what you hope to get done in 2020, whether from a hobby or non-hobby perspective and we can all have fun at the end of the year seeing how much we've achieved and how much we've failed.

My hobby goals:

Paint or sell off more unpainted minis than I buy. Important difference to previous years is that if I don't have time to assemble and paint things I need to get some money back for them.

Start a campaign locally and actually play some games. Probably either NCE or BFG. I didn't play a lot in 2019 outside of MtG, which I really don't enjoy that much.

Finish off 2 tables of cool terrain for Tribemeet. One Zone Mortalis (already 90% done), one sump town. The third table I've pledged can be made up from crap I have already.

Go to Tribemeet. Play games. Don't get hammered and have a hangover. Don't eat too many of @radulykan 's cakes.

Set up my 3d Printer and print some stuff. Got an Elegoo Mars for an early Christmas present to myself. Still not taken it out of the box yet.

And non-hobby goals

Exercise more than I did in 2019. I took up cycling in 2019 and cycled around 900 miles. In 2020 I'm going to aim for 100 miles / month (or 1200 miles). Got myself an indoor trainer and signed up for a 100-mile ride in May (Carten100) to help with that.

Lose weight. Goal is to lose 20% of my body weight (125kg / 19st7lb / 273lb). Cycling should help. As should pushing less food into my fat face.

Be less angry. May have to leave Facebook for that to happen.

Sell one house. This will sadly also require a lot of painting and maintenance work.

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Hobby stuff:

Launch our local On The Precipice campaign of ORB Necromunda/SW:A for the 25th anniversary.* As part of that, playtest the Kroot gang rules and updated Squat Miners rules.

Belatedly get in my wife's pi-rats and our flat-pack terrain, and kick off this PAST year's Mordheim anniversary campaign. Rat King's Pi-rats versus the Three Ghosts warbands [plus everybody else's warbands too].

Get some GorkaMorka in as well, as part of all this ORBing.

Build a variety of Hired Guns hire-able by Outlander gangs [I already have the classic Bounty Hunter, and plenty of Pit Slaves, and so on]. And more Pit Slaves. Because never too many Pit Slaves.

Non Hobby stuff:

Finish painting the rest of the exterior of the House.

Help my wife's business [researching and recreating historical tea blends] continue to grow ever more impressive.

Get that one intransigent grade six student reading, by finding the thing to hook him.

Pay down some more of our household debt [the past year-and-a-half had some unexpected setbacks that gave us some debt I don't like or want].

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
Hmmm;

Whilst helping organise Tribemeet 2020 for the next 3 months I want to have the following complete by;

End of Jan 2020 - Finish and paint the buildings, walkways, chimneys, forges and scatter terrain for Trollholme. (Easy it’s only 7 buildings, 7 chimneys, 7 forges, 20 walkways and about 30 pieces of scatter!!).
End of Feb 2020 - Complete and Paint HMS Phoenix, The Junker and Captain OrangeBeard. Flood the map of the Dome from the last Tribemeet with resin.
End of March 2020 - Prepare for and attend Tribemeet 2020!!! Use the month before to complete anything that slips above.
End of June - Complete a 3x3 Frostgrave table and add a Railway line and rolling Stock to Trollholme, using more TT combat boards.

Greyhart

Juve
Oct 1, 2018
West Greenwich, RI
Well, lets see if I can set goals I can meet this year since I failed so miserably last year. But in my defense, there were mitigating circumstances as it took a bit more to recover from my heart attack than I thought, and a lot of things in my life got put off. Fortunately the doc says I'm good to go so this should be a good year.

Gaming/Hobby
-The big one is clean out my gaming closet and downsize my game stockpile. I had planned on doing this last year but didn't get around to it. I have some help this year sorting and getting things up on e-VIL-Bay. I should be able to get it done.
- Assemble and paint at least 50% of what I have for Necromunda (terrain, gangs, Dramatis Personae). I really want to devote this year to getting everything I have for Necromunda done, but I'm realistic and know I'll have other projects I'm going to want to do during the year.
- Finish at least the models I need to paint for 1000 points of Necrons. I'd like to get up to 2000 points by the end of the year.
- Finish my Necron Kill Team and Commander. Yeah, I like the grumpy old robots, what can I say?
- Get my wife and I back into shooting archery. We both were avid shooters for years, but I had to lay off this last year because of the above health issue. That includes finally setting up my second bow (I have a tournament style compound currently, the second will be hunting/3D target). I really, REALLY miss shooting and want to get back to it on a regular (weekly) basis.

Non-Hobby
- Top of the list, pay down my credit card to at least half the balance on it now (it's a substantial amount).
- Put more towards retirement, look into investment options towards that goal.
- Paint the bedroom accent wall back to a neutral color (it's currently DARK red).. which I've been saying I'd do for the last 3 years. <sigh>
- Clean out the garages. I'm in an apartment, we have an attached garage and I rent an additional detached. They collect... stuff.
- Make sure my wife knows every day how much I love and appreciate her, especially for putting up with me and my hobbies.

I think that about covers my main goals for the year. Hopefully I'll be able to meet them this time.

Hobby:
  • Continue where I began late last year and paint all the gangs. Simple enough, right? Right?
  • While I am knee-deep in paint and glue, actually get some terrain done.
  • Continue my NC18 campaign, compile a campaign rule document, and start a second campaign once this one wraps up with what I learned.
  • Scratch away at the ever-growing pile of unfinished stuff.
  • Actually get off my ass and sell off some of the stuff I will never ever get around to painting.
  • Rekindle my old love affair with drawing.
Non-hobby:
  • Finish my BeD (conveniently quickly done, because the deadlines for that are all in the next six weeks 🤯)
  • Find a new apartment, since the two post-college roommates and I decided to part ways this year (on good terms, so no worries). Considering this will be the first time in my life I live on my own, I'm excited and nervous in equal amounts. This will be happening around April though, so at least the BeD stress will be gone by the time moving stress sets in.
  • Continue saving up as much as I can every month, cause you never know what happens.
  • Try sorting out getting an actual teaching job lined up toward the end of the year. As comfy as dead-end IT is, it has no future.

sump dweller

Mr Fancy Pants
Honored Tribesman
Sep 6, 2014
County Kerry - Ireland
My hobby goals are to actually do something hobby related (other than just buying/accumulating too much stuff because I have poor impulse control, and making a couple of minis for the Xmas exchange,) and to make it to a Tribe gathering one of these days.

My life goal is to stop being such a mess.

I will probably fail on at least one of these. :rolleyes:

Best wishes to everyone on the new year, and their new goals!

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
Hobby:
Prepare for TribeMeet 2020 (mostly the big boat)
Restrain myself buying more stuff
Paint up any other stuff I can fit in; I'm not confident I'll be respectable in the FYSC, but I'll do what I can
Learn more painting techniques
Build some terrain out of the plastic and cardboard I've hoarded (or recycle it, I'll pick more up inevitably)

Non-hobby:
Get a new job, which I'm on doing since I handed my notice in last year as an impetus
Learn more skills, both for potential new job and to extend my abilities in general
Keep my girlfriend happy, since I got one - we dated for a while last year, which didn't quite work out, but she wanted to try again
Do more exercise
Eat more healthily (more fruit, more vegetables; my girlfriend being a veggie should help with that)

ClockworkOrange

Executive Officer in charge of Trolling
Staff member
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2012
Nottingham
So many dirty jokes about eating lady vegans and meat eaters.

But this is a family site so please do so in the privacy of your own home Yakkers :LOL:

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Hobby:
TribeMeet 2020 as good as we can make it!
Play some more NCE/N18/BSF.
Paint some more of my backlog.
Try not to buy anthing else one a whim.

Non-Hobby:
Continued ACCA Qualification studying & exams... hence the awfully short list for Hobby!
I'd like to lose some weight but I'm unsure if I'll manage it. At least I didn't gain any over Christmas!

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Resolutions:
1) keep making pithy comments
2) enter all YakComps for 2020
3) finish something (anything!) for each month’s FYSC (plenty of YakComp 2019 leftovers for at least a couple entries)
4) actually enter something in some of the 2020 YakComps. (Although that may mess up FYSC)
5) Pick up at least one N17+ Necromunda Gang. Hopefully Escher...

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
HOBBY
-Keep chasing the Bavarian dream
-organise (and keep on top of) the FYSC
-attend TRIBEMEET Newark
-help organise TribeMeet Northamptonshire (Fantasymeet)
-help organise Mankymeet
-try to organise TribeMeet Scotland (or, at a minimum, find time to travel to stoofs spider cave)
-try to organise TribeMeet Nottingham (the great winter Yakfeast/meetup)
-attend BOYL
-enter as many yakcomps as I can
-paint more minis, more regularly
-sustain the disdain that I have for GW

YAKSTYLE
-Go on summer holiday (preferably involving Greek gyros)
-Go on a couple of weekend breaks (hot tub mandatory)
-Join @Tiny in the first Yaktribe weigh-off! I am almost exactly the same weight as he! (if he accepts the challenge that is?!)

Scavvierising

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Aug 3, 2016
London
•Finish my journeymen (counts as orlock) gang the Crust Panzer's. Including 2 amphibious craft a big rig and some outriders of some sort. And a magnetised Captain's hat for my leader for TribeMeet 2020.
• Build a fantasy thing could be Mordheim Frostgrave or Warcry will look into what I will most likely get some games out of before commiting.
•Paint some Greenskinz, just a strange urge I have probably look at at beginning a GoMo mob.
•Paint PDF troopers for necro.
• Start/finish inquisitor warband 28mm.
• Build a bunch of flatpack terrain from styrene.
•Place 1 mini in my FYSC entry who is not otherwise involved in builds or deadlines but is just a nice old model I have.
• Attend Tribe stuff and enter Tribe comp's.
• Ramp up my disdain for GW's release and pricing strategy.

Now for the scary life stuff.

Quit drinking (rehab?)
Loose weight
Visit family more
Get counseling

All possible I suppose. Maybe this list writing concept will help.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Ok, I'll start with a quick overview of 2019. Hobbywise, I actually cut my gross spending quite significantly, to under £180 for the year. Admittedly, I didn't sell much either, so it was still a net spend (whereas three of the last four years have seen me make a small profit) but for the most part I was good at focusing on things I already had and only allowing myself occasional treats.

I was also fairly good - by my standards - at getting stuff painted up. I think I qualified for 9 out of 10 FYSC months. Where I did spectacularly badly was actually playing with any of this stuff. I only managed 2-3 games of Blood Bowl and one of Frostgrave all year.

This explains the context I'm coming from and what I want for 2020. Primarily:

1. Get some more games in. I'm hoping to get some more in at home with the gf. With that in mind, I plan to pick up the Perilous Dark expansion for Frostgrave, since I suspect she'd be more amenable to cooperative play than to competition. I probably need to be more proactive at getting out for games too, but one step at a time.

2. Try to maintain good habits re: purchasing and painting. Given how little I play, I don't really need much more stuff. This may hinder my involvement in the FYSC, but there's not much point panting up armies of things I'll never use. Having recently procured some XPS foam from a skip, I had been planning on a bit of a terrain binge - that's wallet-friendly, but I may have to consider how much more terrain I really want too, for reasons for space. This leads me to...

3. Try to get my hobby/life more organised. We're both hoarders and our house is, frankly, a mess. My hobby stuff contributes a lot to this, though by no means all of it. I need to sort out proper storage for completed miniatures and put away the works 'in progress' that will never get finished. This may require buying cases and perhaps even shelves. This is less fun than buying models, but on the other hand loose models all over the place are just clutter and not bringing joy.

Draconic

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Nov 2, 2017
Osborne Park WA 6017, Australia
Hobby:
1. Finish 6x4 combined 3d riser, zone innard, sump river/toll bridge terrain board
2. Make individually converted cgc gang, venators, a one special npc.. maybe an ambot also.
3. paint x3 75mm scale display pieces to learn some new things.
4. Finish my last 2 multplayer narrative NCE campaign games to finish the story. Learn Newcromunda and start a campaign with my playgroup
5. Compete in SHO and Best in the West GW painting comps.
6. Help support WA painting community as new admin to WOMP and help organise the paintng logistics side of SHO

Non Hobby:
1.... Who am i kidding, i have no life...
2. Lose 2019 dad bod weight.
3. Assess desire for second kid... start to look for a bigger house if we dcide we are stupid enough to try for a second.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
-Join @Tiny in the first Yaktribe weigh-off! I am almost exactly the same weight as he! (if he accepts the challenge that is?!)
Challenge accepted, although technically I'm cheating a bit in that I was 125kg at the end of November when I last weighed myself (the day I set up my indoor cycle trainer) and I'm 115kg today. Going well so far. Good to have goals and be seeing progress.

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
This kinda feels like I’m hanging my knickers on the line, but for the sake of transparency, I have been weighing myself every Friday for the past month and my weight last week was 272lb.
But my plan is to lose a pound a week, with my end goal being 200lb. (I havnt been that weight since my early 20s)
My theory being, even though it will take quite some time, if I lose it slowly I will be less likely to put it straight back on (as with previous diets) and the very low weekly goal will reduce that feeling of failure when you don’t reach your target. (as daft as it sounds)

I hate that feeling when you do well and buy some new clothes and start feeling good about yourself, only to let your guard down, have a pizza/beer or two, and jump up to being heavier than you were previous!
So this time next year, I vow to be 52lb lighter (3.7 stone)!

Good luck with your cycling! You have done awesome already!!
i will pm you when I get weighed then you know I’m not cheating! But if anyone else reading fancies joining in, drop me a post! (you can be anonymous if you like)
The more the merrier!

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
I hate that feeling when you do well and buy some new clothes and start feeling good about yourself, only to let your guard down, have a pizza/beer or two, and jump up to being heavier than you were previous!
Yeah, that's the pits. Got down to around 16.5 stone about 6-7 years ago and bought a load of new clothes and had 2 nice suits taken in to fit. Queue two stag-dos in a month and I'm off the wagon and within 6 months I'm over 19st again.