height of a floor in Necromunda

irishwizz

Juve
Jul 20, 2021
Hi guys,

I was thinking of using my battle systems terrain to play Necromunda. Don't you think the floors will be too low? I played a game on some friend's KT scenery, and it seemed to me that a floor with his scenery is much higher than in battle systems. As a consequence, falling would not hurt as much with battle systems. First solution is to increase the fall damage, second one to get Necromunda scenery and paint it...

So that I can estimate, how high is a floor in your necromunda scenery?

Thanks!

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
In the old terrain, the bulkheads we're 3". I don't know how tall things are in new stuff. I also don't think it matters much, cuz I can't I there's any real uniformity in the actual Underhive.

As to fall damage, there is a rule that the damage is based on the actual distance fallen.

irishwizz

Juve
Jul 20, 2021
Thanks! I think the battle systems ones are comparable to the old necromunda scenery. Maybe a bit smaller

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
My feeling is the Underhive is sooooo old and sooooo unregulated that, frankly, anything fits. There is a story in Uprising where they discovered a paradise dome in the Underhive. It was green and clean and lovely. They of course wrecked it, but it existed.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Yep. Old standard was 3” the new is 5”. I guess they went taller to fit 40k vehicles under. Makes a bit easier to put you hand in and round too.

Really though as others said it’s a massive mix of heights and building types in the underhive so all are equally valid.

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
3". Find your tallest model and make it 1/4" taller....?

EDIT: OR, make it 1/4" shorter than your opponent's most powerful character... :D

Really 3" does it. Shadow War: Arm has a bit taller, too tall to make the best use of your playing volume (can't think of it as table space in area) in my opine. But a mix is a good compromise for those who cannot decide.

Last edited:

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Also, a Necromunda table rally gains from having all different heights. Makes it all look more haphazard and organic, and gives nice opportunities for play.

If everything is either Groundlevel or 5'', that means you always need a ladder or you spend a whole turn climbing with a model. Strictly, slower models could not even get up there at all.

But having some 2'' and some 5'' and some 3.71'' stuff really is nice. Both visually and gameplay wise.

Edith says: And some 8.5'' and some 11'' and... you get what I am saying.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Necromunda scenery should always have a bit of stackability in it. So a two storey classic building will actually be 1” taller than a 1 bit of new Sector Mechanicus, plus have a bit of multi level madness.

Or if you’re really mad you could have a bridge across the top from a 5 storey N95 building to a 3 storey modern SM one!

Reactions: irishwizz and Mr. M

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Necromunda scenery should always have a bit of stackability in it. So a two storey classic building will actually be 1” taller than a 1 bit of new Sector Mechanicus, plus have a bit of multi level madness.

Or if you’re really mad you could have a bridge across the top from a 5 storey N95 building to a 3 storey modern SM one!
More in my gallery but:
View media item 27495

irishwizz

Juve
Jul 20, 2021
So we tried, and i am not yet sure the battle systems scenery are great for Necromunda. They are barely higher than 2". I could stack them, but they're also not as great for stacking as plastic ones.

I'll give it another try but for now, I'm not super convinced 🙂 my Escher could jump very easily anywhere.

Reactions: Kitcar

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
A big part in my opinion is having multiple levels that interact with each other though ladders and walkways and have multiple points of access. Two levels really don't do much and unassailable towers just make for a boring or frustrating game. This is why the old cardboard and bulkhead terrain was so great, it's exactly what it was designed to do. I think the height of the levels is less important, but 2.5" to 3" is probably a good minimum. Anything shorter could be really tricky to game with assuming models are meant to pass under the levels.

edit - I just wanted to add that I think 2.5" would be the bare usable minimum. @timdp's 3.5" suggestion is a much more user friendly option.

Last edited:

Sundown Dreamer

Gang Hero
Mar 6, 2018
Terrain plays always a very important role in Necromunda. I also think that a 3D playing field should have at least two or three levels and what appeals to cronewald are similar considerations I make to terrain construction.

Among other things, I still want a modular big wall with a gate too. The gate is the natural weak point of every wall. You could even reinforce this by providing cover for an attacker at the gate. Conversely, the wall crone would be a very strong position that could be even reinforced with ramparts and battlements.

On the other hand, you could then set up a tower for a sniper, from which he can see and bombard the top of the wall. Or you can already plan some weak points and alternative paths during construction.

I have planned a concealed side door or halfway up a man-high drain pipe on one side and on the other side the wall should be partially buried. A narrow smuggling path leads over the rubble mountain to near the top of the Wall. In addition, I had planned a mine that a gang would use to search for Archeotek and break through the wall or discover an unknown hidden door. But that is still open.

With the main gate, pipe or side door, smuggling path and the mine, there would be four different ways to get through the wall. Other options are ladders and grappling hook launchers. Some fighters can also fly high or ignore terrain. And once you are up or through the wall, there are stairs and elevator on the other side. You could also add gimmicks like traps, drawbridge, portcullis, hidden explosive charge from former assaults, or an automatic defense system that can be hacked. All in all, a lot of possibilities and that offers variety and makes it more interesting.

To revisit the height, the top platform of the tower from Gang Stronghold is at about 22.5 cm. At this time the tower is my highest terrain piece and therefore my point of reference for the rest of the terrain. And he is slightly taller than three Zone Mortalis Walls, which are with platform about 19 cm high. Sector Mechanicus platform is about 12.8 cm. At this height, I can also comfortably reach in with my hands.

P.S.: All dimensions are approximate dimensions without guarantee.

Reactions: Mr. M and cronevald

irishwizz

Juve
Jul 20, 2021
Well, the battle systems scenery stacks up easily, with many possible sources of access. So on that point, it's great 🙂 it's hard to reach with the hands but it seems (for my lilited experience) its easy to move one or several floors to see what's inside.

I wanted to buy the gang stronghold from gw but i have the feeling you cannot stack much on there, right?