height of a floor in Necromunda

irishwizz

Juve
Jul 20, 2021
After spending a bit more time with my battle systems scenery, i changed my mind. If i stack the walls so that most of the time a wall would be twice the size of a standard wall, it works great. Minis become easy to access, we have a lot of variety of scenery, it's really cool 🙂

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
After spending a bit more time with my battle systems scenery, i changed my mind. If i stack the walls so that most of the time a wall would be twice the size of a standard wall, it works great. Minis become easy to access, we have a lot of variety of scenery, it's really cool 🙂
Pics or it didn't happen! :p

Reactions: Punktaku

irishwizz

Juve
Jul 20, 2021
Pics or it didn't happen! :p
0b09df53e877cbc3968817bc9a5bdc855fddc51_2_750x1000.jpg
7ef3699aa6cdcd5c9065df02f8565a82a21698f_2_750x1000.jpg

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Great, thank you @irishwizz
That really doesn't look too bad. Both visually as well as gameplay wise.
I always wanted to take a closer look at the Battlesystems stuff.

irishwizz

Juve
Jul 20, 2021
I know I was first saying I was not convinced, but now, I almost think it's the best solution... I'm not sure how easily stackable the current GW sets are, aside of the zone mortalis columns and walls. And they generally lack of walkways, don't they?

I also have the other set, along with some addons, so it should be largely enough. It takes some time to prepare it though (I mean when it's new; afterwards, I don't think it takes so much time)

Plus I don't need to paint those :)

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
The ZM has some platforms, but no proper "Walkways". Those are relatively Easy to add via one of the many MDF kits available for those.
The Mechanicum Set *is* mostly walkways, plus silos/tanks.
The Imperial Sector Gothic Stuff only has the 5 inch height and therefore in itself does not work too well for Necro. But can be cut to size or added on with containers or something to get some lower elevations.

Reactions: Kitcar

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
The ZM has some platforms, but no proper "Walkways". Those are relatively Easy to add via one of the many MDF kits available for those.
The Mechanicum Set *is* mostly walkways, plus silos/tanks.
The Imperial Sector Gothic Stuff only has the 5 inch height and therefore in itself does not work too well for Necro. But can be cut to size or added on with containers or something to get some lower elevations.

Are the ISG Sector the Shadow War kits? I was thinking of cutting them down a bit.

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
@Kitcar : The (in this case) sandcoloured stuff is the Sector Imperialis Ruins. The normal floorheight like the central Shrine has it, is just shy above 5''. That "Carport" on the right side is what happens when you cut the pillars down to two instead of three segments.
The "Shadow War: Armageddon" stuff is from the Sector Mechanicum range, if I remember correctly. (I have not yet gotten my grubby mittens on one of those sets, so I cannot say alot about it)

photo_2021-12-06_00-08-04-jpg.jpg

cronevald

Gang Hero
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
@Kitcar : The (in this case) sandcoloured stuff is the Sector Imperialis Ruins. The normal floorheight like the central Shrine has it, is just shy above 5''. That "Carport" on the right side is what happens when you cut the pillars down to two instead of three segments.
The "Shadow War: Armageddon" stuff is from the Sector Mechanicum range, if I remember correctly. (I have not yet gotten my grubby mittens on one of those sets, so I cannot say alot about it)

View attachment 147204
The Sector Mechanicus terrain has the same floor height, so interesting things can happen when you mix them together. Or so pictures on the internet tell me as I don't have any of the Sector Imperialis yet. Compatibility between the two was billed as a selling point for awhile.

Reactions: NoOneII.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
I'm not sure how easily stackable the current GW sets are
They stack but the SM stuff can be a bit skiddy so I wouldn’t go too high unless you’re planning to glue. The ZM stuff seems better designed to lock in place without glue.

Reactions: Kitcar

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
I have a bunch of em, trimmed and the half-pieces glued. Just have to say "do those". I have none of the stuff in the picture except the Urban Conquest stuff. Made those into an "Honored Imperium" terrain piece for farty kay. The shadow war stuff is all based on 5" platform heights, with the posts adjustable only by cutting the center out of each post or go for a "straight into the ground" effect. It would be good for multi-level that way. I noticed they now have "Transterranic Gantries" or gangways....dehuh on the GW site.

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
Looking at finally assembling my terrain. Am I right in thinking Sector Mechanicus walkways are 5" above Tabletop. Since this is compatible with DU therefore a single ZM (Darkuprising level is 2.5?) Whilst OG bulkheads are 3"?

3" is a minimum level for a level for me as I have problems reaching models in less than that so I'm planning on sticking to Sector Mechanicus levels at 5" only using half levels for detail platforms. That said not convinced all DU produces the same 5" height.
Is there an issue floor thickness? I.e. is (DU wall plus walkway plus )x2 different from just 2 walls with a single floor on top?

Haven't got huge supplies. So planning to use the few OG bulkheads I have for a couple of large risers to gain height/ create an upper floor. Just need a way to bridge the 5" / 6" difference.

Anyone know the thickness of the ZM tiles?

Edit: note for self underhive doors are also 2.5" as are MDF terrain designed to fit it.

Last edited:

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Did two very quick snapshots, @Galtarr .
The ZM / DU Terrain is constructed incredibly smart.
The "lids" of the pillars work as risers/spacers when flipped around to stack pillars ontop of each other.
And then have the same height as the gangways.
2 pillars + 2 risers amount up to pretty much exactly the 5.whatnot inch of the SM or SI stuff.

IMG_20220328_153343.jpg
IMG_20220328_153353.jpg

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
@NoOneII. Bargain. I knew you flipped the tops to stack. Didn't realise it was also to fix the floor space issue - that will make my life easier.

Also realised there's another height. The floor level of the platforms of the thermic regulators. I've read they are at ~3". In fact the underside is a pretty good fit with the top of a 3" OG bulkhead.

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
@NoOneII.

The stairs platform in your pic can I assume that is 1.25"? Or rather what is that in mm? If I plan it right they could be perfect to bridge my 5" SM and 6" Bulkhead.

Planning to get a single set of ZM tiles. For use as tops of the risers. Just need to work out what height they should be at. Probably 2 at that 5-6" height. 1 at 3". Then use the existing terrain to connect the levels. Hopefully it will look like I have more terrain than I actually do. I plan to use the final floor to either cut into four 3"X3" beds or if that fails due to hollow nature it then possibly molds for further horizontal platforms.

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
From table level to the top of the middle plattform is 1.25'', yes. Multiply that with 25.4 and you get the mms, something just short of 32 that should be.

Reactions: Galtarr