N18 HELMAWR -- pronounce it.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
That's how they pronounce it in an official GW video.

As a side note, it's written Helmwar twice in the BoJ (pages 26 and 30), so there is no official way to spell it...

May 11, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
@Thorgor Thanks for the link!

It sounded like HELL-mar to me (emphasis on the first syllable).

I'm not certain that a misspelling of Helmawr throws the whole spelling of a noble families' name in to contention though. I'm guessing that your average helot worker in the factories of the Hive city don't need a very advanced education. So, I suspect that it is probably misspelled all over Hive Primus, certainly in the Underhive.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
(a) Yes, just as the new books repeatedly mis-spell [and then double-down on] "Palanite" instead of "Palatine," they repeatedly mis-spell "Helmawr" as "Helm-war." Which MAY show us something of how GW comes up with their names these days, but

(b) this name was created by the crew back in the 1990s, and therefore is likely to take from their old method combining pastiche and pun.* "Big Hat" ["helm mawr"] seems entirely suitable.

But most likely it plays on a whole LOT of linguistic references. "Hell." "Maw." "Helm." "Mawr" [which, being Welsh, is not a far throw from the development team].

* (Sort of the way Abbadon's name is layered: "Ezekiel" for that Old Testament feel, "Easy-Kill" for punny, "Abbadon" for that NEW Testament feel, and his "army of locusts," and "a BAD don" for punny.)

Last edited:

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
For me, it's Hell-maw-r

Hell (the devilish abode)
Maw (big mouth)
R (the sound rr)

But as pointed out, even in GWs own productions its pronunciation (and spelling) is all over the place.

Jumbley

Black And White Son Of A Gun
Honored Tribesman
Sep 5, 2019
I chalk up the differences we've seen to accents and regional dialects. Perhaps an Uphiver might say it the 'proper way', as it should sound from it's Gothic origins, versus the slang-ridden drawl of your average Underhive ganger.

Reactions: Mr. Litotes