Heroquest

Spiro Dotgeek

Oh look, it's coffee time
Tribe Council
Sep 8, 2020
Wellington, NZ
If a big company like Hasbro use kickstarter, they'll just be taking the piss.

Personally, I've given up on KS because I don't like paying money and then waiting 1-2 years for the product to ship. The worst delay I've had was a wargame that took 7 years after it was funded (edit: just for a PDF of the rulebook, nothing physical)!

But Hasbro has the money and the distribution network to not need KS.

Gunkaiser

Gang Hero
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
If a big company like Hasbro use kickstarter, they'll just be taking the piss.

Personally, I've given up on KS because I don't like paying money and then waiting 1-2 years for the product to ship. The worst delay I've had was a wargame that took 7 years after it was funded (edit: just for a PDF of the rulebook, nothing physical)!

But Hasbro has the money and the distribution network to not need KS.
Well, apart from Unicron, but considering he's a three foot diameter toy that needs supports just to transform... well... it's cool.

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
If at the end of the countdown it isn't the reveal of a boardgame being crackingly unboxed by the bard himself I will probably feel Hasbro/Avalon hill have missed the golden opportunity to reach the heartland of their target audience.. aka anything less and they should kick their PR department...

I wait with interest.

Last edited:

Jembo17

Gang Champion
Apr 27, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
If at the end of the countdown it isn't the reveal of a boardgame being crackingly unboxed by the bard himself I will probably feel Hasbro/Avalon hill have missed the golden opportunity to reach the heartland of their target audience.. aka anything less and they should kick their PR department...

I wait with interest.
Now that would be the best and would prove that they did their homework. :cool:

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
Well that sucks, so if true it's
A) a crowdfunding source from someone who doesn't need it.
B) limited to US (& Canada) customers only

At the first point it annoys me when big companies crowdfund small projects because Crowdfunding becomes about big corps aiming for a zero risk venture rather than small companies seeking make or break funding to realise projects that can otherwise never happen.

Jembo17

Gang Champion
Apr 27, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
I REALLY hope that I don't regret not backing this:

There was also a dungeon map (I think it was neoprene) kickstarter that complemented it brilliantly.

Although as mentioned by @Galtarr above, if it's only on one side of the pond i'll be gutted.

MusingWarboss

Gang Hero
Oct 31, 2013
I hope it’ll be an actual product - the original spread far and wide (possibly with a little help from all those 80s sword & scorcery films) so they could easily make this another commercial product.

Worst thing to do would be to pander to old fans as a niche item. No-one wants that as it’ll end up as an expensive limited run thing.

Not a big fan of Kickstarters on established companies, as above with @Galtarr, it rubs me the wrong way when companies use it as a preorder scheme, particularly when they have the means to get stuff out themselves. If anything it shows a lack of faith in their own product.

KS and the like were a brilliant idea for startups and ideas that couldn’t get traditional funding.

*hops off soapbox*

Space Truckin

Gang Hero
Dec 16, 2015
Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI
It could be a marketing means or possibly a way to protect the IP before having to go through production just yet. Not feeling particular articulate this morning. Blue wizard needs food badly.
Ive never kickstarted anything...however it's understandable to do it this way if timing is important and they are not ready for distribution yet.
Warning completely hypothetical ZERO fact based scenario from random internet guy to follow:
If group A files for Trademark Hero quest Legacies and group B is working on Heroquest Anniverary Edition while Hasbro is working out production kinks or doing real play testing... They want to lock in customers before they give money to group A or B and get them on the hook for the 'real' HeroQuest (tm)

So while I was in the market for a simple fantasy based dungeon crawler - heroquest flavored would be nice. I'm certainly not going to buy anything till I see what happens on the 22nd.