N18 Hive War

Rikokrates

Ganger
Jul 9, 2019
Just wondering if the rulebook in Hive War contains any new scenarios/campaigns similar to the Dark Uprising rulebook? Also are there any new gang tactics cards in the boxed set too?

Scabs

Gang Champion
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Short answer, no. Hive War is a starter box. It is designed to teach the game. No campaign. No new setting. The six scenarios are very small, 5 to a side, using the small playmat and 12 pieces of terrain (columns and walls). There are some optional rules that can link the scenarios. We played three scenarios. They are tiny, and are supposed to teach basics. And no more. The gang lists are truncated. HW is nothing like Dark Uprising.

My reservation is...unlike the original boxed set with cardboard tiles and regular scenarios, new players will quickly outgrow HW before they play all six of its included scenarios. But, it does include a rule book, gangs, and necessary doodads. I think the tactics cards are not new. However, the rule book does not have all the rules used in the game. Only covers what’s in the box.

Last edited:

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
The tactics are detailed in the diff and really challenge the definition of "new":
Is an old gang-specific tactic re-released as universal "new"? Are the same tactic but with updated texts "new"? Maybe not.

Most rulebooks (particularly those bundled in a box) are like Scabs say mostly limited to the content of the box. This is what I called "boxed rulebook". However, in true spirit of new Necromunda, all rulebooks are different and have unique content not found in any previous book or rulebook. This is also true for N21 rulebook (Hive War).

Reactions: Rikokrates

Scabs

Gang Champion
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Who you calling "Scabs!!!?" Oh, right.

Yes, each addition to the game has its merits. No, they don't form a coherent path to Necro gaming glory. They repeat rules. They update rules. They omit rules. They don't build on each other. To proceed from HW to full campaigning, you still need two rulebooks, or three, or only one, or two more, or another one from another boxset. It's certainly worth the journey, but not for the faint of heart.

In comparison, my longtime Necro group just took up Blood Bowl for a diversion. A Fall dalliance, if you will. Guess what? One thoughtful BB boxset does it all. One rulebook to rule them all. Unlike Necro, four of us bought the new box, and now have each have a BRB and game board and teams. Ready in case a Blood Bowl game breaks out (hope springs eternal). Now, I'm talking two guys who NEVER buy anything. And, yes, just like Necro, the one of us who refuses to buy any rulebooks because online rules are free and "easy to use," still invariably ends up with one (or more) of our hardbacks in his possession for most of the game. Grrr! Oh well, at least he's cute and cuddly. There is one expansion for those so inclined. A reasonable amount of expansion accessories. It's an imperfect comparison, but an illuminating one. The BB boxset is a one-and-done, one. HW is the first step out the door on the journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
The latest BB rulebook is a "full" rulebook (for the full game). You would not be so lucky with the 2016 edition BB rulebook which is cropped and limited to the boxed content only (boxes rulebook)!

Rikokrates

Ganger
Jul 9, 2019
Did you check this out? Full diff.
I did not but I'm having a read now, thanks.