N18 Holding your Actions.

I've been using a rule, that I suspect that I've been quoting from another game system. Namely that you can select one fighter/ganger and hold their action. So select a fighter, and that fighter will hold for one enemy fighters activation. After which they must activate and can only be done once per turn. Now I've either seen someone else use it, not questioned it, and copied them. Or I've got confused with another game system (most likely).
So can anyone else confirm this for me, as my searching seems to show me that it was a mistake.

Cheers,

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
Yes, this rule doesn't exist in Neomunda.
In Warcry (latest game by GW that also uses a 2-actions-per-activation formula), they introduced the Wait action that lets you skip an activation at the cost of one action (if used as the first action of the activation, the activation immediately ends and the fighter gets to re-activate later this round, but can only make one action). I'm not sure how it worked out in the end, but it seemed like a good idea when I read it.

Last edited:

=Angel=

Ganger
Oct 3, 2016
Delaying actions until enemy fighters have gone is a tremendous advantage. Bait and Switch is a tactic card that allows you to skip an activation in order to switch a ready marker from a fighter with one to one without.
This allows you to both delay an action until enemy fighters have acted and cannot react, and double activate a powerful model.

el_guestos

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Leeds, England, UK
I’m not sure, at the moment having a small but elite gang is a major disadvantage as you simply get out manouvered and outgunned, I feel a delay action would go someway to balance this

Baffo

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
I’m not sure, at the moment having a small but elite gang is a major disadvantage as you simply get out manouvered and outgunned, I feel a delay action would go someway to balance this
I have to disagree on the 'balance this' assumption: it would actually escalate the 'numbers' advantage of the bigger gang, since they could 'wait' and then 'activate' with their cheapest 'cannon-fodder' fighters (eating 2 activations with 1 Juve for example), out-stalling the entire opposing gang before activating their true damage dealers when the smaller gang has no activations left.
Remember that the opponent can take the same actions as you, so if you implement a 'Wait' action, it will only add 5-10 minuted of 'stalling' to each round.

el_guestos

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Leeds, England, UK
I have to disagree on the 'balance this' assumption: it would actually escalate the 'numbers' advantage of the bigger gang, since they could 'wait' and then 'activate' with their cheapest 'cannon-fodder' fighters (eating 2 activations with 1 Juve for example), out-stalling the entire opposing gang before activating their true damage dealers when the smaller gang has no activations left.
Remember that the opponent can take the same actions as you, so if you implement a 'Wait' action, it will only add 5-10 minuted of 'stalling' to each round.
Good point, I missed out a key element of the way we’ve actually implemented this rule in our latest campaign, that the delay action is only available to the gang with less fighter

Baffo

Ganger
Aug 2, 2018
Ljubljana
Good point, I missed out a key element of the way we’ve actually implemented this rule in our latest campaign, that the delay action is only available to the gang with less fighter
Fair nuff. That makes a big difference then.
Things might get a bit weird when Guild/criminal entourages come into play, since officially they count as their own separate mini gang of 3-5 fighters, so I would suggest any arbitrator/gaming group that decides to implement this Wait (basic) action 'underdog benefit' to also think in advance how to treat allied crews from alliances (do they actuallycound as their own separate gang, and if so are they the only ones that can use the Wait action or do you compare the numbers of gang+allies when figuring out the 'underdog').
Also is there a 'minimal' difference in fighter numbers between crews before a gang can claim this? For example: a 6-men crew Vs a 7-men crew: the 6-men crew is the smaller one and (let say) they claim the Wait action for it. Now the 6 men crew can 'stall out the opponents entire crew's activation with 3 of their fighters and leave the other 3 fighters free to activate with no risk or retaliation.
Also, is there any consideration to the scenario being played? Many scenarios have asymmetric crew composition and this Wait action could (in some cases) twist the intended scenario totally out of shape.

I know Necromunda isn't a competitively balanced game (I consider it more like a Tactical Roleplaying game, than a skirmish game) and it needs a lot of House ruling to smooth out the sloppy rules-writing, but you have to be careful when making-up 'new balancing mechanics' and think of all the possible corner cases or run the risk of just further unbalancing the game system in unexpected ways.

Reactions: el_guestos
Its interesting that this has become bit of a discussion, I didn't envision this happening. But as mentioned it does seem that with the way the game plays, the rules and fluff you do need someone else involved in all the games to add that 'third person' view. Much why games like D&D had the Dungeon Master, to give that final say on something. I do see it more as a RPG game with proper board mechanics then something like Space Hulk, but that's probably why I lovey Advanced Heroquest and such many years ago.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
One suggestion I have is a pass activation, it doesn't use any actions (or maybe you want it to use one up), and the smaller gang has x of them, where x is the difference between number of fighters.

So a gang of 7 v a gang of 10, the gang of 7 is given 3 pass tokens, that they can use instead of activating a fighter.

One suggestion I have is a pass activation, it doesn't use any actions (or maybe you want it to use one up), and the smaller gang has x of them, where x is the difference between number of fighters.

So a gang of 7 v a gang of 10, the gang of 7 is given 3 pass tokens, that they can use instead of activating a fighter.
You'd have to take into account how powerful the smaller gang is. A small powerful Van Saar or Goliath Gang could be deadly. So only if they have a lower gang value.