N18 Hotshot Long Las

Do you think its reasonable to equip the long las with a hotshot pack (+1 str -1ap -plentiful 4+am)

• Total voters
Jul 23, 2022
i was suprised to find that the long las was the only las weapon excluded from using a hotshot laspack, in most games id shrug and continue on but necromunda is more narrative and loose with the rules so i figured id ask the community what they think,

seems to imply that all necromunda hotshotpacks are the version with 20 shots on average, because the only other type mentioned are single shot, if that is the case were already using the power packs of choice for long las guns, which i think is a reasonable lore/narrative reason to be able to use a hotshot pack with a long las

I’ve never worked out why it should be excluded. Same goes for Van Saar’s Las-Carbines. Not difficult to house rule though.

You also can't put hot shot on las carbines of Van Saar.
Lorewise Long-las already has a hotshot pack. They can vary in how much energy they use, the extreme versions draining all of the pack's energy from a single long-las shot, but they are killy as hell.

Current munda stats for Long-las stats are very wrong from lore perspective. It should be more killy than a long rifle, but have scarce, because barrel of long-las warps after a certain ammount of shots and has to be changed on a regular basis.

Yeah would be suprised to find that the long las was the only las weapon excluded from using a hotshot laspack. Because there's a lot of las weapons in this game. I guess if you really want hot shot for long las, what's stopping you? Not the worst thing that can happen right?

Reactions: Psyan
Maybe make the ammo roll be 6+ to represent barrel warps.
I also think this should be the penalty applied to focusing crystals and the photonic engineer skill ie -2 to the weapons ammo roll and then gain unstable only if combined with a hot shot pack. I'd be happy to pay a little more for it even if it didn't give unstable.

Reactions: Psyan and Vonvilkee
To give a little of my background knowledge.

In dark heresy 1e 40k roleplaying game the two snipers available from the start were longlas and hunting rifle (basically a weaker longrifle). It very quickly became meta for players to put the hotshot charge pack on the longlas or the dumdums on the hunting rifle. (i personally prefer lathe bodyblowers). Then at some later stage i remember hearing that in maybe OW (a later game) that the longlas comes with and is exclusively used with a hotshot charge pack. So in other words jawripper is correct.

The reason for the st4 of the longlas is because it already has a hotshot. However why -1 ap disappeared i dont know, and why it was replaced with 2+ ammo roll is anyones guess. But i think these were mostly used to differentiate the two rifles longlas and longrifle to stop overlap. Strangely it has usually been the case in 40krp that solid projectile weapons like the hunting rifle will out range the longlas. This was explained as being due to the laser losing coherency or focus at long range or something... a solid bullet only has the problem of air friction and gravity, something that a laser beam doesnt have to deal with.

So, in conclusion:
I can almost tolerate the loss of -1ap at a long range like 36" but i however do believe that the longlas should have an accuracy bonus in short range, just like the comparison between lasgun and autogun. This would serve to further differentiate the two sniping rifles and i dont think it would detract anything from the game nore would it overpower any side because everyone treats the longlas as common.

So yes, the longlas remains exactly the same as it is in the rulebook, hotshot cannot be applied twice bc you are not a techpriest (and should probably buy a lascannon anyway), however i'd give it +1BS at 18" and -0BS at over 18".

Lorewise Long-las already has a hotshot pack. They can vary in how much energy they use, the extreme versions draining all of the pack's energy from a single long-las shot, but they are killy as hell.
The reason for the st4 of the longlas is because it already has a hotshot.
don't know how i missed that from the long las page or why my brain skipped over it when jawrippa said it but yeah your right, its a shame there isnt an upgrade path for it

Reactions: DamianK