Necromunda House Favors: An N17 Wish/Want Thread

Jan 20, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
We have our Spire, we have our Sump, so here's a place for everyone to state what their hopes are for the new Necromunda going forward. We all want classic elements eventually back into the game, like Outlanders and Scavvies and such. But there's plenty of room for changes, new concepts, removal of old stuff, etc. It's okay to state things you don't want, but leave criticism of existing N17 models or rules for the Sump. I'll get us started.

I'd like to see some primarily Necromunda terrain released by GW. The current Promethium Refinery and the like are great sets, but a bit too intact for my tastes in N17. Stuff that looks collapsed/broken/worn out would be nice, as well as more civilian styled kits (a marketplace or gang lair). I'm of two minds on this. I like the way GW designs kits, but I also love that the lack of official Underhive scenery leaves us wide open to build according to our own interpretations.

I'd love to see more 40k crossover into N17. The new Kill Team game or a re-release of SW:A rules could have stats compatible with N17. Doesn't need the fluff to explain integration into N17, just a way for us to use models and teams in N17 at our discretion. Space Marines or IG coming into the hive to battle a Chaos or GSC cult would be an epic skirmish. Or maybe Enforcers or PDF come to humble a now too-powerful gang as the end of a campaign.

An official way for a campaign arbitrator to boost lagging gangs or hamper wildly successful gangs would be nice. I know things like BHs, Mentors, and such were part of Oldmunda and are working their way back in, but those require credits or die rolls. I cooked up one example of what I mean: against a Chaos or GSC cult that is running away in the campaign standings, a powerful character (like an Inquisitor) controlled by the arbitrator joins the battle to investigate. The first heretic gang member they fight and take out of action is automatically killed, as they need a sample to take back for analysis. Then they leave the game. Should help slow someone down without crippling them. Such an action would benefit from official rules so no-one complains the arbitrator has exceeded their authority.

Spyrers are an awesome idea that I want to see again, but I really dislike the old models visually. I understand their origins, but I hope they get a pretty good overhaul.

I hope Ratskins are re-released, but maybe with a less controversial (in today's world) name and appearance. Feral Humans or Underhivers would be a decent name.

I like the inclusion of civilians in GW3 scenarios, and hope that idea is expanded upon.

I wish I could have thought of a better name for the thread.

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I really want Spyrers to return - I've only ever fought against them and they looked like fun. I assembled a counts-as team but a real one would be nice.

I'd love to see more 40k crossover into N17... ...Space Marines or IG coming into the hive to battle a Chaos or GSC cult would be an epic skirmish.
I'd love to see less :LOL: Already we've got custom super mega rare combi-weapons and serious body armour as easy purchases - neither of these things are "Necromunda", but they're definitely here to stay with N17, for better or for worse. I mostly like the idea of an arbitrated inclusion of Space Marines for the end of a narrative campaign - I have plans myself for when those plastic SoB finally arrive - but for the love of the God Emperor let there not be Space Marine "gangs". Seriously GW, if you're reading this, please don't. Put down that Codes Astartes, do up your fly and step away from the Gang War document.

I thingk GW might be on the same page with this - I noted they deliberately did not include a Purestrain in the GSC list (phew!) despite N17 gangs arguably being reasonably capable of taking one out - certainly compared to ORB/NCE gangs - and to me this hints that they might actually intend to keep this fairly pure.

Extra scenarios like in GW3 are great and I hope to see more of those too.

I wish I could have thought of a better name for the thread.
We have the Spire and the Sump, so perhaps it's the Hive City.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
If it's a place to pray for things we wish to happen, maybe some kind of church?

The one thing I really hope is that they will keep the wave 2+ gangs plastic. Having outlander gangs come back but be FW resin only would be a little too bittersweet to my taste.

I hope that outlander gangs will be back at some point (like many people I guess), mainly Slaves and Spyrers. I think Spyrers will need a complete redesign (of both their rules and aesthetic) and I trust they can pull it off. They can bin about everything about the old ones as far as I'm concerned, as long as they keep the "rich kids in super-hero costumes hobo-hunting as a rite of passage" base concept and do something cool with it, I'll be happy. Slaves, on the other hand, just need to be updated to the new era.
I would also like Wyrds to be back (both as hired gun and as a stand-alone gang, if possible)

But new stuff would be cool too, as long as it's not too much a departure from the old setting. The Ambot I'm kinda growing accustomed to, but that's probably as far as I'm willing to go. The guild concept arts they previewed some time ago looked very interesting though.

Like @Stoof, I don't want any alien or powered-armour dude in my hive. I wouldn't mind them issuing some kind of "SWA with N17 rules" conversion kit so that people can play the game with their existing 40k collection, but gangers battling space marines is a big no-no (except for some kind of "one man army" special scenario like the old "it came from the sump", and even then it's hard to justify: what would a single space marine/ork/necron/genestealer do in the underhive? some kind of local fauna would be more appropriate).

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
what would a single space marine/ork/necron/genestealer do in the underhive
Marine.... recruiting (imp fists do recruit from necromunda), ork... untended gardening, wouldnt last long, would lead to more orks due to spore nature, necron... no idea what new cron fluff is... frankly dont care, stealer... the first/only infiltrator... very very easy to make up reasons for all (bar crons... cos, screw crons).

ThreeDice

Gang Hero
May 27, 2014
I'd like more body and head options for the gangs in plastic.

Limited re-release of the Confrontation models at sensible prices, in small waves so as not to be a glut.

Limited re-release of the classic gangs and Outlanders, likewise.

A slave arm sprue for the muscled and non-muscled gangs.

A mutation sprue.

A corpse/meat/body bits/victim kit for terrain/objectives (of course I don't expect it to happen).

Minimal detail terrain plates, that can be used as floors or walls with some chopping.

Grox.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
Would a single battle brother be sent in the underhive for recruiting purpose? Is that how it works? It looks like too much micro-management to me. I thought they would just show up once every few years and claim their tithe of prospective recruits, leaving the actual recruiting work to the houses.
As you said, ork doesn't work either as you can't really have just one for long.
Genestealer... yes, genestealer actually works.
Another thing that could work is a member of the Officio Assassinorum on a mission.

Some things from the largest 40k universe could even work as gangs, like a small inquisition team, a Mechanicum team looking for lost stuff or a Rogue trader crew (all of these could be WD article material). As long as it's (ab)human, not super-enhanced and affiliated to the Imperium, it could work.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
I thought they would just show up once every few years and claim their tithe of prospective recruits, leaving the actual recruiting work to the houses
depends on the chapter, I dont know fists well enough to know what they do, but I'm sure I read somewhere they do send scouts out for training into underhives.

some chapters have fighting auditions, others run training schools themselves, others jsut round up x number of locals and put them through some trials. So the odd recruiting sarg could easily make sense.

All that said... I'd rather no marines in the hive, orks I have less issue with as they could work as an ash wastes expansion with trucks (bolt on gorkamorka), and assasins could be good, but I think they'd stay firmly in the gm toolbox rather than a seperate player gang like orks could become

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Current Necron fluff is they're everywhere already and have been forever and are now waking up and chanting "kill all humans" *yawn*. Of all the 40k factions, Necrons are the ones I like least. I remember them coming out and thinking "this sounds like the fevered fantasies of a powergamer".

Unfortunately, due to current "they're already on your hive world" fluff they are the most likely to turn up in Necromunda and easiest to explain :(

HiveJive81

Ganger
May 10, 2018
United States
More body kits, heads, and little gubbins and bits for the gangers.

Enforcers, Spyrers, etc.

Rules for gangers in 40k. Yeah, I know it sounds absurd- but I was thinking it'd be great to have all-out gang war on a big scale.

Reactions: MakaroniFresser

ntw3001

Gang Hero
Feb 17, 2011
Essex, UK
I once said Scavvies could work as a stand-in for Orks on the basis that few actual Orks would survive to adulthood in the underhive (the local fauna being more suited to running away from that starting fights with). You'd have a couple of Orks, but most of the gang would be cowrdly, sensible gretchin. I still sort of like the idea, although there's really no need for Orks. I wouldn't object to them making an appearance, but I feel like it only really makes sense if the game is mostly house gangs. When a campaign has as many genestealer cults as house gangs the ratio seems off.

But ya, bring back the stuff that was already there, and I'd love to see some vehicles. Civilian Imperial vehicles would be great. And civilian Imperial people. And monsters! Riding monsters, pet monsters, wild monsters. Let's get a bestiary and fill it out.

Jan 20, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
A corpse/meat/body bits/victim kit for terrain/objectives (of course I don't expect it to happen).

Minimal detail terrain plates, that can be used as floors or walls with some chopping.
I've been looking for appropriate corpse minis for a while now. Surprised GW hasn't made any, as carnage is front and center in this universe.

I like the decking that comes in the GW Promethium Refinery and other kits. I wish it was sold separately from the rest of the parts.

Reactions: ThreeDice
Jan 20, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Would a single battle brother be sent in the underhive for recruiting purpose? Is that how it works?
In GW3's campaign events table, Initiation (result 56) mentions "a hulking figure resplendent in saffron-yellow armour is seen wandering the underhive and watching gang battles from afar".

As for 40k/N17 crossover, I'd like to clarify that I don't want rules for Ork gangs, fluff as to why Tau are on Necromunda, or Necron weapons in the trading post, etc. Just some statlines for models that could be used in a campaign storyline or be used in a skirmish for change of scenery with minimal prep (except for the models). Like the pre-made gangs in the box set.

I wish we get new human gangs. Let’s see some Ulanti or Ko-Iron gangs, tech gangs too. Ratskins and Ashwasters. Slum gangs.

But keep wider 40 elements out. No Orcs or Eldar or some such.
Spyrers too. They were a game breaking addition... god moding... replace them with Brats who are more interesting and will be less op.

And civvies. Underhivers and Hive City men, women and kids.

Reactions: Spenetrator
In the novel Space Marine, The Fists have a hq on Hive Trazior. They do send recruitment “parties” (1 Marine Sergeant and some none Marine assistants) into Hive cities, but they are not wandering about the underhive... instead they turn up to pdf recruitment centres and ask the youngest gangers to take a test... like a brain scan.... heading in to the underhive would be pointless now... most of the gangers there are useless for Marines in the current fluff ...

Van Saar— riddled with cancer and too weak.
Escher - female.
Delaque- physically blind, suspicious Xenos dna maybe.
Orlocks- possibly, though now they’ve gone from being young gangsters to chubby old bikers they are way too old.
Goliaths- the youngsters, pre gangster boys, before roided out on Chems, might make recruits, but they don’t turn up in the underhive now, and don’t Goliaths have genetic disorders giving them short life spans.
Cawdor - maybe... again only juves if they are 11-19 years old.
venators - too old.

And his presence has fluff breaking issues ...
Chaos Cults/Genestealer- the second they are seen by veteran marine sgt Recruiter, who fully understands exactly what they are, he reports to seniors. Chaos cult eradicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainDangerous

ntw3001

Gang Hero
Feb 17, 2011
Essex, UK
Spyrers too. They were a game breaking addition... god moding... replace them with Brats who are more interesting and will be less op.
I wouldn't mind Spyrers, but they'd need to be reworked pretty heavily. It should be possible to make a gang that keeps to 4-5 members and doesn't either die off early or ramp up to become unbeatable. The other gangs also have a lot more toys than they used to. The tough part would be finding a way to cram them into a dominion campaign. I always thought they fit best as an arbitrator-controlled element.

Brats would also be great, though. They already have one noble house (Catallus, I think) that send its spyrers into the ash wastes; why not have different rites of passage for different houses?

I always liked the idea (for the original game) of extending the outlanders factions to include multiple gangs. Instead of having six 'vanilla' house gangs and four (or five, or six, depending what you count) unique ones, the house gangs would be a faction on a level with the others, each with subfactions differentiated by skills. I wanted to have ratskin tribes themed on different native American cultures; Ratskins focusing on stealth and close-range shooting, aggressive Aztec Ripper Jack Pals and resilient Inuit Milliasaur Buddies. maybe that idea wouldn't fly any more, but I still think it's neat.

Spenetrator

Ganger
Apr 2, 2018
York, UK
  • I'd like a perpetual campaign without phases, with a spiralling expenses/income filter like in the NCE to reduce cash (Based on Gang Rating rather than gang count).
  • Necromunda Civvies,
  • 'Wandering Monster' rules and supporting minis.
  • solo/co-op scenarios?
  • Scavvies, pit slaves, spyrers (heavily reworked), ratskins, ash wasters, ('d include enforcers but looks like they are nailed on for autumn.) Wyrd gangs would be awesome.
  • Rules for including scum hired guns that make them viable.
  • Outlaw/Watchmen rules

Reactions: CaptainDangerous