House Nixx

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
Always one of the lesser Houses in the Necromunda underhive, the upstart House Nixx is rapidly making a name for itself, posing a serious threat to the balance of the Major Houses in the Underhive at this time. Were it not for an upspark in street violence between the six Major houses, they might have been able to notice this before it's too late.....

I'm going to be looking for, and very likely writing my own, Genestealer cult rules. I got these guys today and I'm totally loving them. I want to write a bunch of rules tailored to the options with the models presented (and some light conversion work possibly). I really just want a "regular" House gang with a little tweaking for the Acolytes and the option of a Psychic leader (Wyrd powers). I'll write up a draft tomorrow and post it here for your perusal.

12788191_980269692064447_810857218_n.jpg
12833428_980269702064446_2082081737_n.jpg
12834657_980269718731111_1837212758_n.jpg
12835001_980269708731112_898045375_n.jpg

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
I'm going to start writing up some rules as I see them fit the House Nixx idea I have in my head. I'll just do it here, so I don't post multiple threads with basically the same thing.

First off, my idea for a Genestealer cult is a fairly established House. Not full swing Genestealer infestation, they're about halfway to that. And having personally never been in one, I can only imagine it can take years to reach full swing, so we've got a ways to go yet.

I imagine House Nixx (as I'll just call them from now on) has thousands of loyal devotees throughout the Hive City. They're spread out tho as to avoid any suspicion and to work on as large a scale as the House can. They have recently been involved in getting the other Houses fighting each other openly again (without anyone, perhaps save House Delaque being aware) and this has allowed House Nixx to step up into a space between the six other Houses. Income gathered by House Nixx gangs is not so much cash/ credits as it is Influence throughout the Hive, for which the Gang leader is awarded more men/ resources from the House stash. They only hoard cash/credit because they know of the value it has for the rest of the Hive.

The public face of House Nixx are the fourth Generation Hybrids. They look human enough and allow them to work banks, trade with Guilders, even simply walk the streets openly, without drawing any kind of suspiscion. Earlier generations work the factories and mines in House control. There are no bodies in the factories and mines that are not fanatically loyal to the House. The street fights are done by the 4th, supported by the 3rd in the dark alleys where one cannot be sure they saw what they saw. Only in the final stages of the revolt will the 1st and 2nd generations get to the streets and fight, when it no longer matters how the House is viewed and the Hive Fleets are already on their way.

To this end, I only plan to put in 3rd and 4th generation hybrids. The 4th have ganger stats, no more no less. Combat, Stealth and Shooting skills. (This is also the combination that is not covered by the other six houses and I think it fits them nicely). The 3rd will have Ferocity instead of Shooting skills. 3rd generations are also the ones allowed to wield heavy/ special weapons. These will be a seperate "slot" just like the heavies, allowing 0-2 of these from the start. Still not sure wether the ones wielding the special/ heavy weapons will have access to Techno skills.

The gang leader, I think, should be a "bought" upgrade to either a 4th or a 3rd generation Hybrid. If you take a 3rd generation leader, it will be a close combat monster (who can have an extra arm, just like all the other 3rd generations can "buy" at creation). If you take a 4th generation leader, he'll be a Wyrd. I think he should be a telepath. The 3rd generation leader has access to all the skills save for Techno, the 4th generation leader has access to all but Agility and Muscle, as he has access to the Wyrd instead. (Are there any skills related to Wyrd powers?)

Full blown Genestealers are available to the Gang, but only as a "last resort" kind of deal. They can be selected when facing heavy opposition or when dealing with a dangerous mission that simply HAS to be won. Ofcourse using a Genestealer will result in a heavy penalty when rolling on the Outlaw table. I haven't figured out how to do this yet, but it's something to do with the Underdog table and being eligible for a Genestealer(s).

I also want to create some rules for 1st and 2nd generations, but like with the Genestealers, using them will severely harm the House's reputation and risk Outlawing them/ getting the Space Marines to kerb-stomp you.

Anyways it's good to put thoughts to writing, this thread helps me do that.

Fold

Gang Hero
Oct 26, 2013
London E2
fromthewastes.com
Re Genestealer eligibility, you might want to check the rules for mentors in the special character rules which essentially give you an increasing chance of a free special model the more difference there is in gang rating. Always good to have a precedent for your house rules!

Reactions: Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
These new Deathwatch models are very nice, though part of me is disappointed because one of the things I always liked about seeing Genestealer cults is the creativity that people put into converting them all...

Fluff question - it's been so long since I read the Necromunda background - but I'd been under the impression that the named houses are the only houses. Is it actually the case that there are many smaller houses or is this a change in the background?

Reactions: Noah Stevens
D

Deleted member 10658

The Deathwatch Overkill genestealer cult models are some of the best looking plastics I have ever seen. I am glad to know that the Space Marine scout weapons work with them, but what about Imperial Guard lasguns?

Oh, and I am looking forward to seeing some paint on these monsters!

RobStrachan

Gang Hero
Tribe Council
Nov 4, 2013
Tokyo
Looks very interesting! You need to get some paint on them though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardyfreak

Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
These new Deathwatch models are very nice, though part of me is disappointed because one of the things I always liked about seeing Genestealer cults is the creativity that people put into converting them all...

Fluff question - it's been so long since I read the Necromunda background - but I'd been under the impression that the named houses are the only houses. Is it actually the case that there are many smaller houses or is this a change in the background?
Fluff wise there are only 13 houses mentioned, and the population is divided up into them but I've always found that rather bizarre. When a hive is populated by billions of people, to say they are divided between only 13 houses seems a bit of a stretch.
I choose to believe that there are far more houses than stated, but the main houses are the most powerful and control the main trade between the hive city and the spire like monopolies. But it's not unreasonable to assume that the power bases of these houses is built on many smaller houses that have their own spheres of influence in hive city and beyond.
Considering the Machiavellian nature of politics in the hive and the constant clamouring for the favour of Helmawr, one can easily imagine smaller houses looking for opportunities to usurp one of the six hive city houses, just as they in turn look to usurp a noble house and take their place in the upper echelons of the hive. The weak are ruthlessly crushed and only the strongest survive; this is the law of the hive, and would permeate life from the top down.
Perhaps large gangs are allowed a degree of autonomy, so long as they accept being a vassal of the larger clan in the area. A production facility or power conduit could run through a certain patch of territory that is extremely fiercely guarded by a large enough group of hivers for them to consider themselves as independent.
Rather than risk the wrath of the enforcers by engaging in all out warfare on the streets of hive city, the larger house may demand they pledge allegiance to the dominant house of the area in exchange for relative freedom from interference. Favourable trade agreements or guaranteeing the safety of shipments through independently controlled territory might be provided for a small cut of the profits; all the while the larger house would be constantly probing for signs of weakness in order to bloodlessly topple this enterprise, or create weakness through the ancient tools of politics- bribery and corruption.
But if a large gang can hold on for long enough, and amass enough money and influence, they might just declare themselves a new house and cement their position. Perhaps they enjoy the favour of the local Guilder, or manoeuvre themselves to the bargaining table in a position of power through blackmail, extortion, or through simply being unimpeachable. Better to have an amicable vassal on your doorstep than a hostile noisy neighbour who grants unfettered access to your territory to enemy houses.
But all the while, the larger house sits watching and waiting, patiently awaiting the opportunity to dismantle the upstart. A house doesn't become noble by sharing power, and memories are long in the hive, as is the reach of the assassins blade.

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Fluff wise there are only 13 houses mentioned, and the population is divided up into them but I've always found that rather bizarre. When a hive is populated by billions of people, to say they are divided between only 13 houses seems a bit of a stretch.
Thanks for the clarification. To be clear, I have no problem with anyone changing whatever parts of the background that they see fit, using Necromunda rules to represent other hives, or other planets, or doing whatever they want. But I don't see any reason why 13 houses are 'a bit of a stretch'. It's perfectly possible, no matter the overall population - if there are 13 houses to begin with, and every new birth is into one of these, how would others come about?

Reactions: cardyfreak

cardyfreak

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
I see the Houses of necromunda more like Cosa Nostra style families, where a major family controls smaller ones under one banner, and recruits from these bolster its own numbers. Belonging to a major house should be an aspiration for hivers, rather than a birth right.
But every major House had to start somewhere, and my interpretation has always been that the positions of the Noble Houses and regular Houses is fluid, that houses rise and fall and undermine and supplant each other over the ages; a house implodes, a rival moves in, they over-extend, recede, and leave a power vacuum which evolves into a new house. The cycle continues ad-infinitum.
A Noble House falls out of favour with Helmawr, and is relegated below The Wall, and a favoured House takes their place in the upper echelons of hive life. As Lords of Helmawr change, so does favour. Power is fickle and transient, and even the Noble Houses look to supplant Helmawr at the top.

Reactions: KungFuPanda

Boltzmann

Ganger
Feb 9, 2015
Vienna / Austria
*snip*... if there are 13 houses to begin with, and every new birth is into one of these, how would others come about?
To me the political structure of the hive feels like a feudal or warlord system, gangs pledging allegiance to small houses and taking on their names and colours, smaller houses attaching themselfes to larger ones becomming vassals like @cardyfreak nicely explained.

So I would immagine them to suffer from the same as any other "nation"

inheritance disputes (illegitimate children)
political influence from above
old and weak leaders clinging to power makes it possible for generals to gather power of their own
infighting and breaking up
and so on

Reactions: Ashwaste_Hussar

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Extrapolate form, or modify, the existing background in any way you want. It's just that I'd always assumed these are the only 13 houses. There may be people without a house, such as outlanders, and those disowned, such as Mad Donna, but they're simply house-less. As I see it, they have nowhere else to go and there's no prospect of a group of upstarts overtaking an established house, because the established houses are so dominating. But it's been a long time since I read the fluff, so I was just curious as to whether I'd missed or forgotten something about minor houses existing.

cardyfreak

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
Haha yeah I got a bit carried away there, but as far as I know there is no mention of minor houses, and the fluff in the orb is pretty explicit that there are only 13 houses and everyone in the hive belongs to one of them.

Reactions: Ben_S

radulykan

Gang Hero
Oct 24, 2013
Burton Latimer, Northants, UK
I always thought there were minor vassal houses as well, maybe there was a white dwarf article or something?
If that's too much of a stretch for some then maybe house nixx comes from a different hive? They took over their own hive and are now visiting their neighbours? All they want is a quick kiss and a cuddle, go on, you know you want to........

Reactions: cardyfreak

cardyfreak

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Tribe Council
Sep 15, 2012
Alnwick, Northumberland
yaktribe.org
Indeed. Anyhow, I worry we may derail this cool thread with talk of minor houses.
If anyone feels the need to further expand on this (and I'm game if they are!), then it should be directed to its own thread.

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
Yeah I don't want to set too much in stone, just portray one party's view of things. It's like canon for me anyway, how anyone else thinks about it is their own.

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
Hey guys, how does this look for a Skill table for House Nixx? I made it a PDF, hoping most of you can view that. I want to stay as close to the original House format as I can. The Leader/Wyrd is one option, you can have either Wyrd (4th Gen) OR a Leader (3rd Gen). One should be a CC monster, the other one the kind of monster that gets in your head.

Opinions please.

Attachments

Tulkas

Mr. Shadowlord
Mordheim Professor
Mar 23, 2012
Netherlands, Groningen
Also, the idea for the Hybrids is something close to 0-4 in each gang. They can have mutations, like extra arm or Rending Claw as well as the option to carry the heavy weapons. Therefore they are the "Heavies" for Cult gangs, but no more than 2 Hybrids can carry a Heavy weapon. I want to base all the options for the starting gang on the options available to us in the upcoming Cult boxes released next saturday, so it can all be made WYSIWYG. (So yes, Web guns! And Rock Saws.)