N18 House of Blades (General discussion)

Some of those Chem Alchemy effects are excellent! Others are completely pants, but that's par for the course. Reckless is a useless rule, Silencing isn't much cop, and a Blind effect that expires early doesn't really add much, or example.

For me, the million credit question is whether you can apply the Toxic Ammo to any Toxin weapon, or just to Ranged. But either way there's some great Toxin effects.

Silencing, Maddening, Exploding and Maiming I don't really care about. I'm assuming exploding and Maiming only trigger when the attack directly takes someone OoA.

Bleeding is a neat one, a kind of whittling effect. Concentrated is expensive for a single hit, but a very useful effect.

Debilitating is great! -1 to all hit rolls is probably the main one, but it combines well with others; -1 on the S check for Paralysing, -1 on the Nerve check to rally after Panicking.

Decaying might be excellent; it kind of depends on wording... I think, as it stands, when you make a Toxin attack the sequence goes Hit -> T check -> Injury -> Save, which means Decaying is a lot like an extra AP on all toxin weapons. Better, in fact, since it's permanent and because of the wording might also affect the 'Invulnerable' saves that usually say 'not affected by a weapon's AP value'

Panicking is pretty great if you can ping someone who still has a ready marker.

Paralysing is quite powerful for a 5c toxin; it gives you an extra bite at getting a seriously injured, and couples with Debilitating neatly.

And that's just assuming ranged only. Any of the stacking ones would be great in melee, Panicking would make all reaction attacks -2 to hit, Panicking+Debilitating is a -3 to reaction attacks, Paralysing is pretty close to a sure kill. Even if they don't apply to melee weapons then we can use them there thanks to the Needle Pistol.

With the Chemyst a Paralysing, Debiliating, Decaying toxin is 10c. That's pretty potent.

Confused about some of the new Escher terrain (equivalent of what Goliath got in the previous book).

A new mechanic is included, "Hidden Traps": Represented by 6 markers where one of them is secretly noted as being real. The others are false traps. When one of these traps are triggered it is revealed. False traps are discarded. Even if the real trap is revealed, the rest remains on the battlefield. This is important if more than one trap is in play, as it will keep the enemy guessing how many traps remain to be discovered.

So a gang can obviously have more than 1 of these traps? What if they have 7+ hidden traps? Are they renewed, or must be re-purchased per battle? I thought the existing traps would be available always, and never be re-purchased. Is it secret how many traps an opponent has?

A new gang terrain item for Escher is the Bladed Cages, using the Hidden Traps mechanic. It is triggered when an enemy moves within 2”. The movement is immediately stopped and an Initiative check must be passed, or the fighter is moved into B2B with the trap and becomes Webbed. As long as a fighter is trapped, it cannot trap additional fighters (not triggered by enemy movement).

This trap can be removed by spending a Basic action (Disarm) within 1”. Pass an Intelligence check, or the fighter becomes trapped (becoming Webbed as described above).

So, if a fighter wants to disarm the trap, moving within 1", is it then triggered before the Intelligence check? The last clause (for disarming the trap) seems to be an exception to the first clause (for triggering the trap).

Reactions: Petitioner's City
For me, the million credit question is whether you can apply the Toxic Ammo to any Toxin weapon, or just to Ranged. But either way there's some great Toxin effects.
The name 'ammo' seems to imply ranged, but nothing explicitly prevents close combat, and most would mechanically work for both.

I'm also curious what the scope of the effect is. Obviously at minimum, it includes a ranged weapon with the appropriate trait (for example chem thrower for gas ammo). But what about a weapon with separate ammo? Bolt pistol with gas ammo? Can it be improved with new escher chems?

Reactions: Devilmixer
The name 'ammo' seems to imply ranged, but nothing explicitly prevents close combat, and most would mechanically work for both.

I'm also curious what the scope of the effect is. Obviously at minimum, it includes a ranged weapon with the appropriate trait (for example chem thrower for gas ammo). But what about a weapon with separate ammo? Bolt pistol with gas ammo? Can it be improved with new escher chems?
I would say yes

The traps seem interesting. I would say, you do trigger the trap even if you're moving in to disable it.
I guess you'd want to feed it a Juve then brining someone else in to disarm it.

Pretty cool, I like the 6 tokens to hide the trap as well.

That would make the Grenade Launcher with Choke Gas grenades a bit interesting. Gas Shells and normal Gas Grenades less so, as one is single shot and the other one rarely gets more than 2.

The Khymerix's breath is Gas, could you use it on that!? Haha, "Here, giant mutant cat-beast; drink this!"

I think the Gas effects in general are quite interesting, too. They're more expensive, sure, but all the Gas weapons are pricey anyway. Just from the point of view of the Chem Thrower almost all the effects are strong. Blinding and Pathogenic are poor, and Expansive doesn't work on the CT, but I'd take any of the other 7.

I think my favourites have got to be Acidic and Bane. The two main ways to stop Gas simply neutralised. I quite like the idea of hitting someone with a Leaden one, and then placing the blast on them so they have to suffer it again

I wonder if gas ammo chemsmithing effects can be applied to gas traps

That could be quite nasty in certain scenarios

(I'm thinking the Carvan if you're the attacker).

That would make the Grenade Launcher with Choke Gas grenades a bit interesting. Gas Shells and normal Gas Grenades less so, as one is single shot and the other one rarely gets more than 2.

The Khymerix's breath is Gas, could you use it on that!? Haha, "Here, giant mutant cat-beast; drink this!"

I think the Gas effects in general are quite interesting, too. They're more expensive, sure, but all the Gas weapons are pricey anyway. Just from the point of view of the Chem Thrower almost all the effects are strong. Blinding and Pathogenic are poor, and Expansive doesn't work on the CT, but I'd take any of the other 7.

I think my favourites have got to be Acidic and Bane. The two main ways to stop Gas simply neutralised. I quite like the idea of hitting someone with a Leaden one, and then placing the blast on them so they have to suffer it again

The Blind one isnt aweful, but probably overshadowed by the blaze effect.

It appears that you are auto blinded, no test. Yes if the fighter hit has already activated this round it doesnt stop him getting an activation marker next round however if he hasnt activated he's getting no activations at all this round (well he loses his ready marker). That's effectively allowing gas to have an effect halfway between pinning and full blind. It's quite good.

Reactions: TopsyKretts
Khimerix breath is actually one suggested nick-name, there is a suggestion for players to make up their own names for the mixes. Also suggesting that an Escher player can sell these chems to other gangs.

As for the actual Khimerix breath, I think brutes don't have access to wargear,/equipment.

it does raise the question of how random costs/discounts work though.

With a Chymist do I roll my discount, get a 5, then know I can build my concoction to 60cr.

Or do I have to decide on my concoction, then roll to see what the discount is?
What if I roll low and decide I don't want to purchase it? Am I forced to buy it anyway? Can I attempt to buy another batch?

it does raise the question of how random costs/discounts work though.

With a Chymist do I roll my discount, get a 5, then know I can build my concoction to 60cr.

Or do I have to decide on my concoction, then roll to see what the discount is?
What if I roll low and decide I don't want to purchase it? Am I forced to buy it anyway? Can I attempt to buy another batch?

I suspect a bit like other discounts (iron guild with regards to guns) you select your item, which has an established cost, then roll for discount. If you cant afford it you cant buy it. If you can afford it your not forced to buy, but you can't try to get the same item (exact combo of traits in this case again). E.g. with iron guild allies I can't roll for a discounted plasma gun and then go no, I'll look for another discounted plasma gun, but I could see what discount I'm being offered on a meltagun?

I think this is how it should work?

Is the chemist hanger on limited to doing this for one purchase per post battle phase? Or is every concoction you make discounted so.

Reactions: TopsyKretts
GW doubled down on the House Agent Petition table mistake. 16+ Reputation, you have to pay 2d6x10 credits as a penalty. That will never happen, as nobobody above 9 Rep will take the chance (11-15 is fail anyway). I'm expecting to see this mistake reprinted 4 more times now. It's another example of some of the meaningless rules disguised as new interesting content. Also, there are not 1 but 2 House Agent special characters... Bloat!?!

Reactions: Thorgor
New Escher Stimms are applied either before the battle (after selecting crews) or as a Simple action during the battle. If applied during the battle, spend a Simple action. The target can be itself or a friendly fighter B2B.
So, if I read you correctly, a seriously injured Escher could be instantly healed by some juve with some "Blood rush", for 15 creds and a simple action ? 😮

Here's what I'm thinking for my starting gang:

Queen: Plasma Pistol, Power Sword, Mesh Armour, Spring Up - 230
Matriarch: Plasmagun, Mesh Armour, Spring Up - 215
Death-Maiden: 2x Stiletto Sword, Mesh Armour, Combat Virtuoso (assuming DMs get Finesse as primary, if not, probably spring up?) - 190

Little Sister: Stiletto Knifex2 - 60

4x Sister: Lasgun (55*4) - 220

Sister: Shotgun - 80

I might drop one of the lasgun girls to try to fit in a prospect, but the bow is so underwhelming. Also, maybe should trade the shotgun out for a needle rifle to take advantage of the new toxin ammo?

Here's what I'm thinking for my starting gang:

Queen: Plasma Pistol, Power Sword, Mesh Armour, Spring Up - 230
Matriarch: Plasmagun, Mesh Armour, Spring Up - 215
Death-Maiden: 2x Stiletto Sword, Mesh Armour, Combat Virtuoso (assuming DMs get Finesse as primary, if not, probably spring up?) - 190

Little Sister: Stiletto Knifex2 - 60

4x Sister: Lasgun (55*4) - 220

Sister: Shotgun - 80

I might drop one of the lasgun girls to try to fit in a prospect, but the bow is so underwhelming. Also, maybe should trade the shotgun out for a needle rifle to take advantage of the new toxin ammo?

I'd drop the second stiletto sword on creation and upgrade a lasgal to a needle rifle:)

I'd drop the second stiletto sword on creation and upgrade a lasgal to a needle rifle:)
I thought about doing that, but with combat virtuoso and her wanting to be in melee, i thought doubling down might be good so she can get the extra attack just to make sure whatever she runs into dies. The other thought was ditching the double knife on the juve for a stubgun and getting the maiden a chem-synth, but that also seems kind of eh.

Reactions: Retrojetpacks
I thought about doing that, but with combat virtuoso and her wanting to be in melee, i thought doubling down might be good so she can get the extra attack just to make sure whatever she runs into dies. The other thought was ditching the double knife on the juve for a stubgun and getting the maiden a chem-synth, but that also seems kind of eh.

You could be right. I found I had more success when I spread the pain around, lasgunners are fine but rarely cause serious injuries.

Of course buy back the second melee weapons when the creds start coming in!

You can always add a second stilleto sword/knife later. Not sure the second sword or second knife 50pts total? Is worth more than upgrading a lasgun girl to something a bit punchier in the ranged dept, besides just a plasmagun and a shotgun.
Not saying lose both, one or other perhaps. If the list is for skirmish then go for it as is. For a campaign I find you can skimp a bit initially but plan where you'd add weapons. Adding the second knife & sword is great but do you need them out the gate? Here what your group rules on swapping weapons becomes relevant. Having DM start with sword&knife with little sis having a single knife might be a start that allows a needle rifle and move the knife on when you get the second sword.

Reactions: Retrojetpacks
You can always add a second stilleto sword/knife later. Not sure the second sword or second knife 50pts total? Is worth more than upgrading a lasgun girl to something a bit punchier in the ranged dept, besides just a plasmagun and a shotgun.
Not saying lose both, one or other perhaps. If the list is for skirmish then go for it as is. For a campaign I find you can skimp a bit initially but plan where you'd add weapons. Adding the second knife & sword is great but do you need them out the gate? Here what your group rules on swapping weapons becomes relevant. Having DM start with sword&knife with little sis having a single knife might be a start that allows a needle rifle and move the knife on when you get the second sword.

Frankly the DM is a beast and I was even considering running her unarmed at the start:O