• YakTribe will be migrated to a new server on Monday night, April 12th after 2am GMT and should be available on Tuesday morning.

N18 House of Blades (General discussion)

Barking Agatha

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Jan 12, 2021
But with the whip the Wyldrunner wouldn't stay engaged and therefore wouldn't provide an assist for the Phelynx.
Tickling someone with a whip isn't even worth the effort imo. If you want to take this approach (which you're right is the best approach given Untamed), splash and buy a shockwhip, it's way better and only slightly more expensive. Or take a shot with a pistol of some sort instead.

Of course, you're right. Well, it all bring me back to my original opinion that Wyld Runners are rubbish.

And she can't have a Shock Whip (if only!). Best she could do is maybe a stiletto knife and a chem-synth (making her Strength of 2 irrelevant)? Or a power knife? And try to angle the Phelynx so that they aren't facing her?

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
They can get a shockwhip off of the trading post though can't they?
I'd forgotten they're strength 2! That makes even the shockwhip noticably less appealing.
Best option is a pistol. Taking a shot with a handflamer, needle pisotl, plasma pistol, or autopistol is definitely viable. Probably best backed up with a stiletto knife or sword.
Taking a phelynx to clean up, bog down an enemy, or just generally assist (eg opening a door for the Wyldrunner to run through!) isn't a terrible use.

I don't think Wyldrunners themselves are bad, just their unique weapons are. They're just faster gangers without basic weapons.

Barking Agatha

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Jan 12, 2021
They can get a shockwhip off of the trading post though can't they?

No, they're limited to the weapons on their list.

I'd forgotten they're strength 2! That makes even the shockwhip noticably less appealing.
Best option is a pistol. Taking a shot with a handflamer, needle pisotl, plasma pistol, or autopistol is definitely viable. Probably best backed up with a stiletto knife or sword.
Taking a phelynx to clean up, bog down an enemy, or just generally assist (eg opening a door for the Wyldrunner to run through!) isn't a terrible use.

No Needle Pistols either. No hand flamer, plasma pistol, or autopistol. Only laspistol or stub gun. Also no Stiletto Sword (but she can have a Stiletto Knife).

I don't think Wyldrunners themselves are bad, just their unique weapons are. They're just faster gangers without basic weapons.

I agree, but with the limited weapons available to her, it amounts to the same thing.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
No, they're limited to the weapons on their list.

No Needle Pistols either. No hand flamer, plasma pistol, or autopistol. Only laspistol or stub gun. Also no Stiletto Sword (but she can have a Stiletto Knife).

I agree, but with the limited weapons available to her, it amounts to the same thing.
Perhaps you're thinking of Juves and Gangers? Because Wyldrunners definitely get trading post weapons.

Barking Agatha

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Jan 12, 2021
Perhaps you're thinking of Juves and Gangers? Because Wyldrunners definitely get trading post weapons.

Yes, I just checked and I'm wrong. She can be given any pistols and close combat weapons. That does change things!

Thank you! If I'd only realised this earlier...

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
I always wondered why they rarely fixed some mistakes that would be easy to do. Until realizing they're working on 10 new books instead.

Reactions: JawRippa

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Each Phelynx is still only 3 attacks at 4+, S3, and no AP though, and only toxic if they roll a 6. I wouldn't go charging any Enforcers with them!
What do they do? Run up and lick them to death like a bunch of overly happy puppies?

Whip is probably one of the worst melee weapons in the game. It locks you into S2 forever, and costs like an autogun lol.
It could’ve been cool IF they’d made it more Indiana Jones.

Actually, just make it a piece of Wargear, one that can be used to rappel, or swing etc BUT also has a bonus in that it can be used as a versatile weapon that doesn’t take up a weapon slot. After all it can just be coiled up and hung from a belt.

It needs a function other than just angering the opponent because you keep stinging them.

Valar

Juve
Feb 22, 2018
England, UK
It is worth noting that HoB updated *Reckless* melee to only distribute between models in base contact with it, not everyone engaged. So it’s easy enough to position Phelynxes a hair apart so they don’t bite each other or their trainer.

That said, the most effective use I’ve found for a Runner is speedy webpistol with Ratcats to Coup. Expensive but in a campaign can put in a lot of work.

A Runner with stiletto knife+Stubgun and one pet makes a good buddy for a Virtuoso Maiden, again mopping up the seriously injured foes the Maiden leaves in her wake.

But generally yeah, their unique weapon options are bad... :(

Last edited:

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
You talk about Reckless now, not Versatile? Phelynx doesn't have Versatile, so doesn't matter, just keep them out of B2B with friendlies yeah.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
You can't choose where you position your models when you charge though.
If they're all charging from the same rough direction they'll necessarily have to pile up in base contact with one another as well.

Reactions: TopsyKretts