• YakTribe will be migrated to a new server on Monday night, April 12th after 2am GMT and should be available on Tuesday morning.

N18 House of Blades (General discussion)

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Yeah, it would be beneficial if the rule instead forced them to panic at the end of the group activation. In that case, depending on range, you may need to charge the pet last, which in most cases will be a considerable drawback due to the Phelynx' innate Reckless. Or, give the owner versatile and stop the charge 2+" away, allowing the pet to fit in between (outside B2B with the owner). That would sacrifice the assist though. And if the owner is killed in close combat, the pet will gone anyway.

Reactions: Petitioner's City

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Yeah, it would be beneficial if the rule instead forced them to panic at the end of the group activation. In that case, depending on range, you may need to charge the pet last, which in most cases will be a considerable drawback due to the Phelynx' innate Reckless. Or, give the owner versatile and stop the charge 2+" away, allowing the pet to fit in between (outside B2B with the owner). That would sacrifice the assist though. And if the owner is killed in close combat, the pet will gone anyway.
I agree, it would be as simple a change as changing 'activation' to 'turn' in the wording of the leash rules.

Reactions: TopsyKretts

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK

For my players who use pets copiously (familiars, cyber-mastiff packs, etc), I think this is honestly how they played them. It is far more sensible indeed :)

Reactions: Galtarr

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
For my players who use pets copiously (familiars, cyber-mastiff packs, etc), I think this is honestly how they played them. It is far more sensible indeed :)
We also play this way -even though I think we know its not strictly raw. Not listed as a specific house rule beyond the standard 'let's not be dumb' one... Though we don't have many pets as we know the familiars are the only ones coated well.

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
I'm not sure Familiars are costed well. They're way undercosted imo, it's a no-brainer to include them.
Phelynx are probably on the inefficient side of well costed, whereas Armoured Cyber Mastiffs are on the efficient side. All the other pets are way overcosted.

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
I'm not sure Familiars are costed well. They're way undercosted imo, it's a no-brainer to include them.
Phelynx are probably on the inefficient side of well costed, whereas Armoured Cyber Mastiffs are on the efficient side. All the other pets are way overcosted.
Fair by costed well, I simply meant at a good enough price to take (and yes a definite auto-take) We have nerfed them slightly so a) they don't stack and b) they have some natural counters.

Only other pets I've seen tried are Phyrr Cats and sump Crocs. Both were taken for rule of cool in campaign end stages neither really paid there way.
Our enforcer players never had enough cash to attempt luxuries like pets..

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
So, the key question is, how would you cost them:

- caryatid (for gang rating purposes)
- cephalopod spketer
- chaos familiar
- cyberarachnid
- genecult familiar
- cyber-mastiff
- hacked cyber-mastiff
- hardcase cyber-mastiff
- giant rat
- grapplehawk
- gyrinx cat
- phelynx
- phyrr cat
- sheen bird
- sumpkroc

Would love everyone's thoughts on this!

JawRippa

Gang Hero
Mar 31, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
I think Topsy's suggestion is better, just because it's more in-keeping with the intention of the leash.
Topsy's suggestion is fine, but even with that pets are only a good idea for melee fighters I think. If a pet does not kill something on the charge, they will retreat to you and get reaction attacks, unless you charge alongside them. That's very awkward, I wish that fighters with ranged weapons could also benefit from those.

Regarding familiars, they are criminaly undercosted, also their wording is broken because rule writer mixed up terms Round and Turn.

Barking Agatha

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Jan 12, 2021
So, some more questions:

a) Can Blade Cages and Decapitators be shot at (like booby traps) once revealed?

b) When resolving Toxin attacks, is it Hit - Toughness - Save - injury or Hit - Toughness - Injury - Save?

Thanks!

Jayward

Ganger
Aug 4, 2020
Genuinely don't know for part a). It's not come up for me yet.

For part b), you want pg70 of the rulebook:

"Armour saves are made... If the attack has a damage '-' characteristic and causes an injury dice to be rolled against the fighter for any reason, a save roll is made before any injury dice are rolled."

So Hit-Toughness-Save-Injury

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
a) Can Blade Cages and Decapitators be shot at (like booby traps) once revealed?

Thanks!
Unfortunately a lot of the new stuff in the books is filler content that's never been playtested or proof read. And we will never get an official answer.

I suggest house ruling it as 'yes' since they are booby traps, and it fits.

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
So, the key question is, how would you cost them:

- caryatid (for gang rating purposes)
- cephalopod spketer
- chaos familiar
- cyberarachnid
- genecult familiar
- cyber-mastiff
- hacked cyber-mastiff
- hardcase cyber-mastiff
- giant rat
- grapplehawk
- gyrinx cat
- phelynx
- phyrr cat
- sheen bird
- sumpkroc

Would love everyone's thoughts on this!
I would start with all of them except the familiars getti by their cost cut in half and see if there are any takers.

Most of the pets aren’t as good as a basically armed ganger plus they all have significant additional restrictions so they all need to be cheaper than a basic ganger with an auto/ las gun.

Barking Agatha

Ganger
Honored Tribesman
Jan 12, 2021
Unfortunately a lot of the new stuff in the books is filler content that's never been playtested or proof read. And we will never get an official answer.

I suggest house ruling it as 'yes' since they are booby traps, and it fits.

I argue for 'no', because they already have a rule for disarming them included in their rules (the Disarm (Basic) Action). If you could just shoot at them, wouldn't that make the Disarm action irrelevant?

Also it seems to me that having to deal with them after they've been revealed is part of the intention of what makes them so potent. The Van Saar have a similar trap (the Melta Mine) that can never be shot at, because it explodes when revealed, and boy does it explode!

Also, I have another idea for the Wyld Runner Bow. In a campaign If you can raise her BS to 3+, buy her the Bow, Acid Arrows,, and and Infra-Sight, it's a more or less decent weapon that can shoot Blaze at 18 inches usually hitting on a 4+ or a 5+, which isn't too bad. It wouldn't work for skirmish games though, because she really needs that sight.