N18 House Rule Idea: Reputation Based Trading

gothjuice

Ganger
Jun 3, 2018
Brisbane City QLD, Australia
Idea: Equipment availability based on a gangs reputation and Seek Rare/Black Market Trades are a successful Intelligence check.

Intent: increase the value of Reputation outside of more hangers on and encourage the value of mental statistics.

Cons:
potentially encourages WAAC,
Delaque can potentially gain 3d3 rep or more per game.
May be punishing to gangs who haven't had much luck with wins.
Gangs with higher base intelligence have a higher chance of getting better gear early.
More rules to an already cloudy and game full of grey areas.

Pros:
additional option for underdog mechanics,
increases the value of reputation
Gives a reason to spend advances on something other than WS/BS/S/T.

Anyone have any thoughts? Counterpoints, have you tried this and it failed? Does it sound interesting? Or even a simple shut up gothjuice.

hurpington

Sep 6, 2020
this would cause more problems then are worth it,one possibility you could run instead is limit the number of individual items you can buy at once based off the hanger on table

Reactions: TopsyKretts

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Got to love that honesty and that the pros list is shorter than the cons :D It is a noble idea, maybe needs some polish? Also hurpington's suggestion is good.

Last edited:

gothjuice

Ganger
Jun 3, 2018
this would cause more problems then are worth it,one possibility you could run instead is limit the number of individual items you can buy at once based off the hanger on table
I've done something of a similar vein before:

Each fighter performing a trade action may purchase a single item up to the rarity they roll.

In addition, rare trade/black market trades were individual.

I was trying to discourage the arms race that is so common in Necromunda and instead created an economy where Goliath gang flourished because all that money went to gene smithed bodies.

There's always a cost...

Thanks for the thoughts anyway guys, sometimes the wheel is better left round eh?

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
I was trying to discourage the arms race that is so common in Necromunda and instead created an economy where Goliath gang flourished because all that money went to gene smithed bodies.
Dang, that's a pretty good insight.
In my campaing I will try to avoid everyone running around with PowerArmour and PlasmaGuns. But actually that sets free ressources that some gangs can exploit better than others.

However, I still want people pull hairs and bite and scratch over the cache with the Plasma Pistol.

gothjuice

Ganger
Jun 3, 2018
Dang, that's a pretty good insight.
In my campaing I will try to avoid everyone running around with PowerArmour and PlasmaGuns. But actually that sets free ressources that some gangs can exploit better than others.

However, I still want people pull hairs and bite and scratch over the cache with the Plasma Pistol.
Another thing I did was have Archaeotech caches in every mission. These were secondary objectives that I would populate with items from the TP/BM and required at least one successful intelligence check to claim and open. After claiming one, a player would roll a d6 to determine what they got. Might be 3 bolters or light carapace armour. It gave a side objective, so even if a player lost a scenario if they managed to grab the cache they walked away with something.

This also worked because trading was harder only one item per fighter making a trade action and the maximum rarity was individually based on cumulative. I.e. you roll a 2d6 and each character added modifiers they were entitled to determine what they could get.

It meant skills and items which gave trading bonuses were a prime commodity and meant getting something like a Caryatid was rare and valued.

But again genesmithing..

NoOneII.

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
Oct 6, 2021
Germany, Hessia
Was this Archaeotech cache just placed as a visible Item on the table or was a search roll needed to find them in the first place?