Mordheim How to paint Flagellants - need some inspiration

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Hey all

I have three of these to paint for a Mordheim Witch Hunters warband -

Untitled-1.jpg

This is the warband so far, I have another Witch Hunter coming and he'll be painted in a similar scheme to the other 3 Witch Hunters -

Untitled-1-copy.jpg

As you can probably see there's a bit of a theme/overall colour scheme...

I'd like to paint the Flagellants with trollslayer-esque orange hair/beards. But I'm stuck on what colour to paint their rags. I don't want to paint them brown like the Witch Hunters' coats, nor dark purple like the other clothes on the Witch Hunters. And red would clash with their hair/beards, so that's out.

So, I'm at a loss for a colour that would fit.

Can anyone here offer any ideas on what colour to paint the Flagellants rags (which seem to be a skirt and waistcoat) so they fit in with the rest of the warband but aren't painted in the same colours I've used already or anything that clashes with the orange hair?

Thanks in advance, any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Gray, like homespun cloth? It’d make their beards really pop and would show some lovely filth around the edges from slogging through the mud.

To tie them in, maybe they slopped on some “protective” symbols in colors similar to the witch hunters. Or paint any accessories in similar colors.

Reactions: Raven Morpheus

Raven Morpheus

Gang Champion
Nov 19, 2017
Earth
Thanks guys.

Gray, like homespun cloth? It’d make their beards really pop and would show some lovely filth around the edges from slogging through the mud.

To tie them in, maybe they slopped on some “protective” symbols in colors similar to the witch hunters. Or paint any accessories in similar colors.

Grey seems like a reasonable idea. Although as you know I don't tend to do filthy (something I suppose I need to learn how to do)...

Dark greens and browns like that chap on the far left.

The dark green I like. That'd be Citadel Caliban green with a couple of lighter highlight greens, probably Warpstone glow and Skarsnik Green (Moot green would be far too dayglo).

After ruminating some, I had the idea of doing a "off white" look, similar to what I used on the pleats on my Empire Captain, which is a base/shade of Citadel Rakarth Flesh, with Pallid Wych Flesh over that, then a Skull White highlight.

I think I can get away with drybrushing the Pallid Wych and Skull White over the skirts without it looking terrible.

Or for a "dirty grey", 2 layers of Basilicanum Grey Contrast with a Stormvermin Fur highlight (according to GW). Wouldn't matter if it looks blotchy either, could just call the blotches dirt/wear...

Guess I could do one of each, 1 "off white", 1 grey and 1 dark green.

I'll ruminate some more...

Last edited:

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Well, they are individuals, so one each would be cool. Especially if there’s something that ties all three together with the witch hunters. Maybe the vests (if your using those torsos) would be uniform?

Yeah, I don’t like making things dirty either. Think that may have affected my YakComp 40 entry…

Reactions: Raven Morpheus