N18 How to use Ambots?

Sep 30, 2021
Hi All,

I'm brand new here. Some local guys are starting up a campaign and I think it might be a nice opportunity to get into Necromunda.

I haven't decided on a gang yet, but I do have an unopened box of Ambots. I thought it might make sense to use one of them in my gang to get me started. In which gang(s) do they make the most sense? I've heard they're cheaper in Orlock, so maybe that's my best bet.

The three gangs I'm most interested in right now:
1) Orlock - If I go with them, I'd want to use some of those cyber mastiffs too. Any idea for a starting gang list I could build for a campaign that utilizes both the cyber-mastiffs and an Ambot (or two)?
2) Goliath - I specifically love the Stimmers and Forgeborn. Can I make a list with primarily this box, and an Ambot?
3) Slave Ogryn - Are their load outs very customizable at all? Does it make sense to play them with Ambots?

Thanks for your time!

Kiro The Avenger

Gang Hero
Apr 4, 2018
Bristol, UK
Ambots are a great choice for any gang. But note RAW you can't start a campaign with one, you'd have to save the money and buy it after your first game.

Cyber-mastiffs are overly expensive for what they do, but are otherwise good.

You wouldn't really be able to make a Goliath gang out of just Stimmers and Forgeborn. You could out of one box of regular Goliath though.

Ogryns are very limited indeed.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
2) Goliath - I specifically love the Stimmers and Forgeborn. Can I make a list with primarily this box, and an Ambot?
If you mean use them as-is out of the box, then no.

If you intend to convert then possibly a verrry limited gang could be scratched together but you’d still be better off with a main box+upgrade sprue.

So as a terrible example you could convert a stimmer to be your leader (appropriate Weapons from the leader list), leave one stimmer as they are, convert two prospects as Juves (again appropriate weapons) and the other two as their are.

Now, I think prospects add to your 50% core fighter allocation which would be 4, vs 2 for the leader and champ. So it’s over the legal limit but frankly, it’d be a weird choice of stuff just limiting yourself to that.

MysticWolf

Juve
Nov 15, 2020
I feel that a Goliath Stimmer is a better choice than an Ambot for the creds.
Depends on the situation I think, ambots get real mad with Nerves of Steel and you infiltrate them to murk a couple bad guys. That being said... I particularly think they shine when you combine them with other infiltrating units (A la badass CGC initiates, or Delaque).
But, the most suiting gang may be Orlock with their discount and the Grease Monkey hanger on.

Reactions: Psyan

Toadmiester

Aug 2, 2020
Depends on the situation I think, ambots get real mad with Nerves of Steel and you infiltrate them to murk a couple bad guys. That being said... I particularly think they shine when you combine them with other infiltrating units (A la badass CGC initiates, or Delaque).
But, the most suiting gang may be Orlock with their discount and the Grease Monkey hanger on.
with genesmithing you can give a stimmer infiltrate. costs alot less than an ambot too....add a frenzon collar and now you are playing with fire

mateyboy3000

Ganger
May 29, 2017
Giving a Stimmer unborn locks them out of some really cool skills from the muscle tree, see iron man, walk it off and naaargh. They also don't get T5 and 3w base like the ambot

Reactions: Brendan Flynn