Idea for a new Necro. board. But will it be useable?

Necroplayer

Ganger
Oct 14, 2012
Kentwood, LA, USA
Hello Yakites! I was toying with the idea of building a board that would be mostly islands of rubble and debris surrounded by sump gunk, waste chemicals, etc. with underhive boats being used. I was inspired by a picture in the 2003 Necromunda Underhive edition (page 67). Since my scanner went crazy I cant post a pic. but that's where it is if you would like to take a look! My question is, would this kind of set up actually be playable? Would movement be too restricted? What in your opinion would be the pro's and con's of this kind of board? And basically is this a good idea or not? What say you?

naztek

Ganger
Sep 18, 2014
Canberra, AUS
I was considering doing something similar myself, the one thing I thought might be a hurdle to gameplay is that there are then fire lanes over the sump lake/pools but limited to no way to cross/charge. You can get around that by having your islands tall enough and complex enough to break up the view.

Reactions: SNxWMxN

SNxWMxN

Gang Champion
Jun 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
Depending on how it is done, I can see close combat gangs being severely at a disadvantage. I can see maybe doing it as a one off scenario, but an island board would limit gameplay. Maybe make a basic board; one side sump green for island games, and the other a more traditional grey. Just my two cents!

Reactions: naztek

The Castle

Heavy
Staff member
Feb 17, 2011
York, PA
would all inter-island movement be limited to boating? would modular "junk" bridges be possible just to ease the non-shooty gang's mind? (by junk i mean the aesthetic not the function)

Blood Donor

Hive Dweller
In Memorium
Tribe Council
Aug 23, 2011
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
yaktribe.games
If there is enough space on the rubble/ junk piles for towers, which can have a web of catwalks, you sir have yourself the perfect pit of despair table. Reduce number of catwalks, increase number of boats. Reduce number of boats, increase number of catwalks. Sounds very workable.

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
As many says it will hinder close combat unless you have tons of lifted buildings with many catwalks, after which it starts to look like really awesome! Perhaps you could fill it with buildings that are commonly used in places where is high tides.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Stilts! Have hab blocks etc on stilts so you still have a decent enough area that is covered by walkable areas, with plenty of inter connected bridges then sump areas below that can be moved about on b boat. jsut make sure you ahve lots of ladders up to the fighting area

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
I actually intended one time to make lot of oil rig style structures and make the ground level full of ooze. This was before I decided to make my Venice. Haven't painted my oil rig yet, but perhaps some day. =)

NkxsVZ2.jpg

Necroplayer

Ganger
Oct 14, 2012
Kentwood, LA, USA
Thanks for all of the great replies guys! :) If I continue with this idea I will probably go with Loriel's idea of oil rig type structures with a rubble/nasty stuff combo for the first level.
Hey Loriel, do you have any more pics of your rigs or ideas I can borrow?!

Reactions: Loriel

Loriel

Gang Hero
Nov 27, 2013
Kangasala, Finland
I have some. You can find some of them from my Necromunda plog, but most pictures I have taken can be found at my imgur site http://loriel.imgur.com/ but they are really unorganized. I was once planning to make it more organised but now it has become more like storage room with vague albums etc.

Eilif

Gang Champion
Jul 19, 2014
Chicago
chicagoskirmishwargames.com
Definitely a doable idea. As has been said, make your walkways wide enough to have blocking bits of terrain on them (build lots of crates maybe?) and maybe make some of the walkways high sided enough that they block terrain and you should be fine. I've run into a similar issue having elevated trainlines. They are great, but provide very long fire lanes. I'm probably going to rig up some kind of tall gates to break them up.

Necroplayer

Ganger
Oct 14, 2012
Kentwood, LA, USA
Hhhhmmmm....so how about a combo of these two boards with pools of nastiness and elevated towers/walks? I do so love rubble!

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 267
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 253
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 205
  • UHB1.jpg
    UHB1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 237
  • UHB2.jpg
    UHB2.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 265
  • UHB3.jpg
    UHB3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 259
Reactions: Loriel

naztek

Ganger
Sep 18, 2014
Canberra, AUS
I think if you are going to have an abundance of catwalks, platforms and gantries like @Loriel suggested then you should have a pretty cool board. Your islands and platforms need to be big enough to have combat and objective contests but that oil rig set-up looks like it would do the job.

Necroplayer

Ganger
Oct 14, 2012
Kentwood, LA, USA
Naztek--I think that you're right and welcome aboard! Found these two pics from the kal jerico comics on the net. Looks like the bombed city above.

Attachments

• kal 1.png
    kal 1.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 259
  • kal 2.png
    kal 2.png
    238.1 KB · Views: 241