Ideas for mini skirmish/Empire in Flames campaign

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Hi all Mordheim enthusiasts! I had the idea of starting a bit of a story campaign in Mordheim, or thereabouts, for a 7 year old. He only has some of the heavier chaos guys for Warhammer, and I figure a chaos warrior in Mordheim is a little like a space marine in Necromunda. So I was thinking if supplements, but know next to nothing and have very limited time to research in general, and thus I hoped someone here could guide me in the right direction.

Border Town Burning is supposed to be centered around a chaos incursion, and Empire in Flames takes more place in the countryside as far as I know, but does any of them lend themselves to a small story/campaign including chaos warriors?

Another limitation are my own models, I can put together either an undead or dark elf warband, neither exactly wellsuited to oppose chaos in the rural areas around Mordheim... Although vampires could work, noble turned vampire defending his loyal subjects/terrified underlings/dinner. Also the Mrs has orcs&goblins, so I could probably piece a band together of those.

Another thing is terrain. I don't have a lot. As in nothing. Yet. I have big plans, though! So another reason to keep it rural, maybe moving further into towns as my terrain collection (hopefully) grows.

That's it really, for now. I hope someone can give me a nudge and a better idea what to look for, and then I'll probably have more/better questions. Cheers!

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
If rules are a secondary and you'll be ad-libbing alot then I'd suggest the old fantasy... kill team thing.. erm.... warbands maybe? Where you use a unit (ish) and a champion and has very rough skill up/injury type rules. As it's fantasy, mordheim mechanics are very very similar. Just a thought.

In terms of story/setting, empire in flames is your winner I think, undead empire lord, chaos & ork incursion, starts with the ouskirts/very rural areas (fits with terrain you ahve now), and everyone knows orcs and chaos are bad allies, allowing for them to fight a bit too. As you build up more terrain, you can have raids on 'villages' escalting to potentially a full mordheim board (and due to shared mechaincs from fantasy for the warbands rules you can then 'switch'/lift stuff from mordheim for buildings etc) for the 'capitol' city under attack.

Sounds amazing dude!

If you are wanting to stick to pure rules being correct. a warrior champion can happen if you read the shadow lords rewards tables (I think... been many years since I read the mordehim book), one bestows chaos armour, effectivly having a warrior as head of your band... but you'll still need a handful of maruaders (the new chaos bloodbound or whatever silly name they have could work as them and are fairly easy to get hold of I believe).

Reactions: MedMos and Ben_S

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
The Chaos factions - Possessed, Carnival of Chaos, etc - aren't really that easily represented by a WFB Chaos army, at least, not by warriors. As @spafe suggests, you could look into something else, like Path to Glory, which is based around rival Chaos warbands.

If you're set on Mordheim, then at least Possessed against Undead is the kind of thing where you can probably get away with much less scenery than usual, due to the lack of missile weapons. I'd avoid your Elves - particularly with little scenery - as I hear rules for Elves are broken.

Reactions: MedMos and spafe

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Thanks, @spafe and @Ben_S! Yes, the reason for looking outside core Mordheim was the hard sell of chaos warriors in there. I've had a look at skirmish rules for 6th ed. WHFB, and that might be doable, although I would've preferred to use my wip undead band for Mordheim.:) But chaos/orc incursion into the lands of a noble-turned-vampire sounds like fun, even if there are no real 'good guys'. (why do we only have evil-ish armies in the house? We always played good guys in AD&D when I started playing with my friends back in highschool... o_O).

Either that or an aquisition of Bloodbound/marauders/beastmen might be in order soon... The lad also expressed interest in a skaven warband (I sold them to him as ninja rats...), and they could also work with the loose rules for alliances in AoS.

I'll take a closer look at Empire in Flames, and try to work from that setting as suggested. Thanks again, guys! Any more thoughts or ideas are always welcome. :D

Reactions: Ben_S and spafe

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Some preliminary reading has given me some ideas for this little mini-campaign I am planning. I want to use Warhammer skirmish from 6th ed. for the fighting, 7th for the cost and statline of the models and Empire in Flames for the postgame. The idea is to start the protagonist (7yo with a budding chaos force) off with 4-6 Chaos Warriors, moving in to a noblemans lands around Mordheim for some plunder and glory. They soon find that there is an abundance of undead warriors guarding the area, and along the way they (hopefully) realize that the nobleman is actually a vampire. That doesn't quell their thirst for plunder and glory, however!

Preliminary thoughts are to start the story off with a raid on a watchtower, guarded by zombies and maybe a necromancer. Progressing onwards should see them attacking other key features and settlements in the area (plans for drawing up a map and weathering it IRL), bumping into raiding orcs and goblins, facing nightmare creatures in the dark forests and hopefully ending up with an assault on the vampires lair/mansion! Some missions will be straight up battles, others inspired by the scenarios in Empire in Flames. Underway they can plunder as per the Empire in Flames rules (maybe with some tweaks), and can hire new warriors (at 10x their armybook cost in gc?), look for rare items like chaos steeds and even advance in stats, making them proper champions of chaos in the end. Every chaos warrior is treated like a hero, so income shouldn't be a problem.

The whole thing will likely be fairly unbalanced, but a 7 y.o. won't game the system (rule of cool all the way), and as arbitrator I will match the opposition in each fight to his current rating/points cost. During this we will hopefully have time to build some terrain and paint some warriors, to flesh out the board and warband. Now I just have to get the thing set up, and talk the protagonist in to playing games with me. :D

Any comments, critique and ideas are welcome!:)

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Sounds like a good plan... I cant remember the differences between 6th,7th and mord off the top of my head, so trust you have picked the bes tof each for their role. Seems solid, and esp with a 7 yr old who as you say will go rule of cool (and also not really notice that you tweak stuff to match them anyway). Will be a blast I bet. Esp if they get invested and then put their own mark on the terrain making aspect, and even in rules ideas as they see fit (jus tbe sure to steer them away from anything too powerful too quickly :p)

Let us know how it goes dude!

Reactions: MedMos

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Will do. :)
The reason for choosing 7th for points and stats is mostly availability... I don't have all relevant army books for 6th, so figured it would work just fine. As you say, I can tweak as we go, as long as I keep the narrative in focus he probably won't notice anything.

Reactions: Ben_S and spafe

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
Many books spanned different editions, so as long as you avoid the occasions where there was a fairly substantial change (either to the basic game or a particular army) it shouldn't be a problem.

That said, it's probably safer to use 6th edition army books with 7th edition game rules - which presumably many armies were doing - than to mix them the other way. Any army book that came out in 7th edition may have been designed with any changes between 6th and 7th in mind.

Reactions: spafe and MedMos

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
I hadn't actually considered that, @Ben_S. I remember them as being fairly similar, though. I'll only be using the skirmish rules from 6th, so hopefully there won't be any noteworthy discrepancies. In the name of fun I shall give it a go. :)

Reactions: spafe

Ben_S

Hive Guilder
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I skipped WFB 6th and 7th, so I couldn't really say whether there will be problems. Only way to find out is to give it a try I guess. Most likely it will be the skirmish nature that causes more problems than the edition change.

Reactions: MedMos