INQ18 Ideas for player secret missions

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
I hadn’t thought to do this so I am watching with interest on how this could be implemented.

It would certainly add something asymmetrical to a campaign that would be fun for people to do rather than just grow bigger and gain reputation.

Reactions: Petitioner's City

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Just a quick thought on this, but maybe an “individual mission” could be mixed in with tactics cards (or Event cards if used with ORB/NCE)? It’s not a grand campaign-sized idea, but something a single gang member would attempt during a game. If they pull it off, they get something (like a bonus XP or two) but if they fail, the gang leader will surely rip them a new one for being distracted from the task at hand.

Maybe they have to tag a prominent piece of scenery? Takes two turns to make the graffiti, but if they succeed they gain one (or whatever) XP. But while they’re preoccupied with making the tag, they’re not supporting the gang. So it’s not too easy/free XP, the tag has to be at least 6”/two levels off the floor. Or it has to be done in the opposing gangs start zone.

sykoholic

Ganger
Jun 1, 2017
Pensacola, FL USA
I've seen this sort of thing done in various boardgames like Dead of Winter and Champions of Midgard. It typically requires 4 or 5 different categories of "loot": fuel, scrap, food, etc. The loot can be used for an in-game purpose or a player may opt to save it. Each player has a secret "end game" objective that they are trying to achieve which typically requires them to have a certain number of specific types of loot (ie: Appease the Fire Guild - have "X" items of fuel loot at the end of the game). Part of the game is the player having to balance using the loot in-game and/or saving to meet their end-game objective.

Reactions: Petitioner's City

almic85

Cranky Git
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
So here is what I am thinking for my upcoming campaign.

To start with I am adding back in some of the NCE campaign rules into N20 so that it limits credit generation and access to the trading post. I hope that those two limits will slow gang growth to something more fun for everyone in the campaign.

Every gang will start with one secret mission (either selected randomly or narratively linked to their gang) that needs to be completed by the end of the 6 week campaign. Anyone that does complete their quest will be considered to have “won” and will receive a small campaign reward for the next 6 week campaign.

So far most I have pulled together a list of potential secret mission titles or themes but I need to flesh them out with actual win conditions.

• Establish settlements (control 3 or more settlements)
  • Control the entrance/exit (control 3 or more toll bridges)
  • Control trade into/out of the hive (???)
  • Purge the heretic/xenos/unworthy (outright kill more than 5 enemy fighters)
  • Convert the population (finish the campaign with at least 5 juves or prospects)
  • Mine resources (control at 3 or more mine workings)
  • Discover archeotech (have 3 or more rare 13 unused items in your stash)
  • Test new equipment (finish the campaign with at least 30 unique weapons or wargear)
  • Cause mayhem/unrest (win 3 marauder missions as the attacker)
  • Gather information (???)
  • Assassinate key members of the population (kill 3 or more gang leaders)

Petitioner's City

Gang Hero
Nov 15, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
These are nice and general - good for necro more than inquismunda, but something I can play with! I'm not playing a seven week campaign, so some I'd adapt :)

On your campaign rules, both are good! I've done the credit limits for three campaigns and it works well. Players really appreciate the tax! But I've found a deeper issue is equipment and 'shopping list' gang planning which removes much of the roleplay - gangs seem to be going to Underhive IKEA each post battle sequence, not a dodgy Underhive/Eye/Wastes trader! I'd really recommend redoing the rare trade charts of old, and making certain common items rare (ablative overlay, for example, but also brutes and hangers on) and other rare items common (swords & heavy stubbers especially). Anything that is rare or illegal on a house list becomes rare after gang creation, and can only be found via rare trade actions. Also I really recommend reducing the cost of CCWs, grenades and most equipment (at various percentages), otherwise they don't get played so much, and possibly increase the cost of ranged weapons (by a third at least?).

i have the two general charts (law abiding and black market trading), then one rare trade charts per gang - plasma cannons should not be available at the drop of a hat, even for van saar or Escher, etc!

We also enhance xp, too, and reduce the cost improvement based on how much the characteristic is being increased.

But you know this :)

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Did this in a NM campaign and everyone loved it. How I approached it was by reading each player's gang back story and coming up with a proposal for their secret agendas. After some back and forth we would came to an agreement on their motivations and a mechanical effect.

I also had a campaign with secret roles that were I sealed envelopes. One gang was harboring the cyborg assassin, another was trying to capture it, and the rest were trying to collect clues to figure out what the other 2 were doing.

Jacob Dryearth

Gang Hero
Sep 6, 2016
OK, I finally finished the campaign log from 2019 after your insistence @Petitioner's City. The final post by me of the thread contains the secret subplots each gang was given. As I said, there was a back and forth between me and the players as to what their gang's goals were that influenced the subplots. Also, those who participated more in the narrative of the campaign tended to get a greater number, or more unique subplots.

LINK:
https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/queens-dome-turf-wars-3-outbreak-in-ornelius.8551/