Inquisiton fleet- Ordo special Rules

How would you guys interpret rules about buying Ordos upgrades for Inquisitor Lords (p. 51 of 2010 FAQ) ? Are they limited to fleets including Inquistorial Cruisers and are Inquistiorial Cruiser a requirement for such an upgrades to be bought, or as they are paid from the cost of Inquistor Lord himself, do they just need an Inquistor led fleet and those bonuses and Ordo special rules shall apply to any ship Inquistior is on in any given fleet.

Regards

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Sorry for the late reply.

From this line:

"If desired, Inquisitorial cruisers may gain special characteristics, depending upon the Ordo the Inquisitor leading the fleet is affiliated with."​

I would say they are limited to Inquisitorial Cruisers only and only apply the bonus to the Inquisitorial Cruiser itself.

Fluffwise, this would be down to the Inquisitorial Cruiser being the Inquisitor's own ship and so crewed by his own crew and attuned to his own battle tactics. Put the same Inquisitor on a Space Marine battlebarge and you have different crew who are not familiar with the orders of the Inquisitor and as such gain little benefit from his presence beyond re-rolls or Ld bonuses.

That said, I could also see the bonuses applying to a Blackship as the Ordo Hereticus bonuses list it as a possibilty.

"If a Blackship is used as an Exterminatus vessel, a Hereticus Inquisitor must lead it."
As usual, its not entirely clear so I would say, have a chat with your play group before using them.

That is true. But consider, that the line You just quoted does not, in any way rules out other ships. It is not 'Inq Cruisers only' rule. Also consider,that every Ordo rules description points to a 'vessel Inquistor is embarked on' not inquistorial cruiser,as such. Also, if InqCr only interpretation is to be considered valid, what happens if one takes an inquistor of one of Ordos,and does not have a cruiser in the aformentioned fleet( which, by the way, is not mandatory in inquistiorial fleet at all). Than, Inquistor goes to Blackship or most expensive ship in the fleet. And the rules states, that bonus goes to ship 'inquistior is embarked on'. So how about a fleet with ordo inquistor that has no InqCr on the rooster. Actually, I am writing this beacuse we ( with my group) are looking for some bigger body of opinion on the subject and since it is hard to get a bigger body of opinion of BFG community apart from internet for obvious reasons, here I am. :)
Thanks for reply.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
The bit I quoted specifically calls out “Inquisittorial Cruisers” as gaining an additional bonus based on the ordo oh the Inquisitor, in doing so ruling out any other ship from gaining such a bonus.

But, as stated in the second part, the list also calls out Blackships, which are not Inquisition Cruisers so the rules are at best ambiguous.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
Actually, it does not. It would have if it included "cruisers only", "no other ship than..." or something similar.
It literally says the words “Inquisitorial cruisers” and says that they may gain an additional bonus. This rules out any other ships gaining that bonus.

Blackships,for one. Also there is no requirement to take Cruiser. I need to have Inqusitor Lord on my most expensive ship or blackship if present. What than?
As written, the ship would not gain the additional bonuses as they only apply to “Inquisitorial Cruisers” as per this paragraph:

"If desired, Inquisitorial cruisers may gain special characteristics, depending upon the Ordo the Inquisitor leading the fleet is affiliated with."​
The inquisitor can be aboard any ship you like but as written, only Inquisitorial cruisers gain the ordo benefits.

As I said previously, the rules are far from unambiguous as they later mention Blackships. You also seem determined to misread the rules as written so just discuss it with your group and play as you prefer.

Ok, thanks for input.
The inquisitor can be aboard any ship you like but as written, only Inquisitorial cruisers gain the ordo benefits.

That one seems pretty convincing, I think I go with that. And since we are not getting any BFG FAQ anytime soon, rules shall remain
far from unambiguous
take care

Kitcar

Gang Hero
Jan 3, 2017
St. Louis, Illinois, USA
Awesome discussion, the fog of war rears it's head. I am a bit fired up on BFG having just watched the action scenes from "Battleship".

I have a question: May you take more than one Inquisitive Cruiser?

Reactions: Tiny