1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing the new YakTribe.games

Discussion in 'Tribe News' started by Malo, Oct 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    WELCOME TO THE NEW HOME OF THE 'TRIBE

Over the years since the first creation of the Necromunda online tools, the Yak site has gone over several different looks with a redesign of the tools themselves several years ago to cater for a more responsive design. However, it has always been two specific parts, the online gaming tools and the community forums. The next evolution of YakTribe is a major upgrade not only on the core tools but also bringing a lot more functionality to the main website as well.

This is the discussion thread for the full article here.

2. sump dweller

sump dweller Mr Fancy Pants
    Yak Supporter

Good Afternoon @Malo - thanks for all your work!

I come here for the awesome community and the painting and modelling section, so I can't really comment on the new features on the rest of the site. Nevertheless, all your effort is greatly appreciated.

Halbling, Malo and spafe like this.
  3. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Tribe Council Yak Comp 2nd Place Yak Philanthropist

Map
    I have begun filling in all the games I own and want to play lol

sump dweller and Malo like this.
  4. Punktaku

Punktaku Gang Hero

Map
    Time to rampage through the new site and relearn everything! Woot woot! Time to get my fix! And i finally have power again!

sump dweller likes this.
  5. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Note that other than a couple of color and top menu changes, the forums are pretty much identical. It is my intention to work on the styling gradually however I also would like to eventually get a full custom theme created to be more inline with the new site. That can come much later though as it will take time and $$$ to be made by a professional theme company.

It's ALL a work-in-progress.

6. BeardLegend

BeardLegend I can't grow a beard

Map
    I like the colour too. Yellow and Black here ftw ...

... nice one Chief. You are appreciated.

Azzabat, Malo, spafe and 2 others like this.
  7. Basileus

Basileus Juve
    Yak Supporter

Map
    Very nice work, appreciating all the effort of everyone put into this community. Cool place! Keep it up and let the new Necromunda coming - Looking forward to Community Edition and Inq28 based on that one :p:LOL:

sump dweller, Malo and Stoof like this.
  8. Punktaku

Punktaku Gang Hero

Map
    hmm. i’m on Light Theme and stuff is yellow with white letters. there’s a couple things that are just yellow letters (switching over, they’re yellow letters on a black background).

9. Barn

Barn New Member

Looks great :)

10. hreikin

hreikin Gang Hero

Map
    New site looks great - not too keen on the yellow but only in the forum for some reason :D

Any chance of "classic" versions of the themes with the orange back ?

EDIT : there is an option "Main" in the title/nav bar which doesnt hold any content, just an empty page - is this intentional ?

#10 hreikin, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  11. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Maybe. I don't really want to maintain more themes. My plan is to have completely new custom themes created.

Not intentional, just haven't quite finished the menu yet. Working on it but bugs, life, family etc keep getting in the way. WIP.

Stoof, =][=SW1=][= and hreikin like this.
  12. Ben_S

Ben_S Hive Guilder

Map
    Is it still possible to attach photos to posts? I can see how to hotlink from elsewhere, but previously you could upload them here.

I was about to say I can't see how to do that now - then I noticed that I do have an 'upload a file' button here, as I'm typing this. But I don't see to have this button if I try reply to my plog in the Miniatures and Terrain section. Is this deliberate?

13. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Yes this is deliberate, for two reasons. To store images in the Media library for use anywhere on the site (ie. Necromunda tools) and to have more control over the amount of images stored on YakTribe. It was necessary in order to grow further and into the future. It's now required to upload to the Media section for posting into the threads.

Ben_S likes this.
  14. Punktaku

Punktaku Gang Hero

Map
    going through the Game Browser, i can find N17 but not the original. i know it’s there because going through Outlanders brought me to the original game and let me click stuff once there. Should the original be easier to find? Like with its own entry on the main page? And should there be one for Bloodbowl too?

(and i must say, @Malo , this particular feature is really impressive! the summaries, links, pics, etc must’ve taken a long time to accomplish!)

edit: Found Blood Bowl by going through the Gorkamorka page.

#14 Punktaku, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  15. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    The game browser is currently limiting results to 10 I believe and I haven't had time to add the pagination. Since there's not many games in there I'll extend the limit on that page to show them all. However, you should find original Necromunda as an Associated game on the N17 page, above the Similar Games section.

Thanks for the feedback. It's getting there and the system has a lot of potential but it's all in it's infancy right now.

16. Punktaku

Punktaku Gang Hero

Map
    there still needs to be a delete or cancel button for when you accidentally hit “reply” ;)

17. =][=SW1=][=

=][=SW1=][= Ganger

Currently navigating around on a mobile which is now my main mode of surfing the internet.

I'm liking what you've done and it looks like once I replace the laptop I'll get even more from the site which is great.

18. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Subscribe and you'll get more powers ;)

19. Punktaku

Punktaku Gang Hero

Map
    ooohhhh! That’s how it is, eh?!? :LOL:

Malo likes this.
  20. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    I just requested cancellation for my old hosting... :( They've been fantastic hosts for years. New system is far superior for growth though.