N18 Is ammo weapons?

locleos

Ganger
Apr 19, 2022
This is a pretty basic question, but is ammo considered weapons for the purpose of who can use it from the trading post? E.g. if I have a ganger with a shotgun (he can't take weapons from the trading post, only things that aren't weapons) and I go and buy some executioner ammo from the trading post, could he use it or not?

Apr 12, 2018
Brisbane QLD, Australia
I can see the problem here and the truth is I'm not sure there's any clear answer to this question.

My instinct is that when purchasing from the trading post etc that it is just wargear. You can't use it without the weapon to fire it. So they should have access to the ammo as wargear upgrades for that weapon (like an infra sight etc).

However I've been recently using the Iron Guild as allies. They give discounts on ranged weapon purchases. In this case the ammo has a ranged weapon profile so I've counted it as a discounted weapon even though the ammo itself is not a "weapon". It is still used as a weapon and clearly has a ranged profile. This seems obviously to be intended as these guilders literally are covered in ammo in the art etc. This is an instance where I think the contradiction is ok though.

I say buy it as wargear.

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Sounds like a Bullet Merchant (Hangers-on)would be more suitable for giving ammo discounts. However it only affects rarity (treats all as Common) and replace Limited with Scarce. Just an example to show that rules can target ammo specifically.

Scabs

Gang Hero
Feb 4, 2014
San Diego. CA, USA
Sounds like a Bullet Merchant (Hangers-on)would be more suitable for giving ammo discounts. However it only affects rarity (treats all as Common) and replace Limited with Scarce. Just an example to show that rules can target ammo specifically.
Only?!!! WTH (What the Helmwar!).

Like Firestorm ammo? But hate giving up Rare Trades for it, and it's Limited, to boot? Want to turn your EVERY shotgun into a grenade launcher (shatter shells) but just can't spare those Rare trades? Psst...Bullet Merchant.

Oh, weapons are weapons. All else, ain't. For instance, Firestorm has a profile. But, ONLY when associated with a weapon. You can trade "similar" ammo with a ganger (new AW rules), but you can't take a ganger's shotgun from him unless you pry it from his cold dead hands (or fire him?). Grenades do have an independent profile, but aren't weapons, either (I don't write the rules, or label stuff). If you might engrave it with your gal's name, it's a weapon. If, not, not so much.

• Haha
Reactions: TopsyKretts

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Well there’s only three weapon slots for a fighter, if ammo filled those it’d be a bit of a bugger.

Example: You fancy running a fighter round with a pocket full of dum-dum bullets, a pouch of manstopper shells and a hotshot cartridge in his hat, with no means to use any as he hasn’t got a gun to fire them and can’t own one as his 3 slots are full.

So no, you can’t use ammo without the weapon it’s associated with.