Is it worth buying the SW Rule book?

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Hi all. Have been looking to get back into Necromunda and give Inquisimunda an outing and have the community edition rules, but wondered if it's worth getting the rule book for SW Armageddon? I've heard that the gameplay is identical, and it's just the campaign which is simplified?

Azzabat

Hive Guilder
Yak Comp 1st Place
Tribe Council
Jan 24, 2013
Bristol, UK
I've not got it myself as I use the old NCE Necromunda rules, but from what I've heard it's good. It's just the campaign system that lets it down.

Personally, I'd find someone who has it already and play a few games with them first.

If you want more of a campaign, I'd just use the NCE rules here in The Vault

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Yeah I'm kinda leaning that way as I can't see what SW gives over Necromunda/Inqisimunda. Basically what does SW offer over them? Maybe it's just more accessible for gaming groups/ new players?

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
I was just asking the same question on FB myself. I play Blood Bowl down a local club and there seems to have been some take up of SW:A down there. I'm not sure it's worth the money, especially when I already have half the rules and other games can be picked up cheaper. But I may give in if there are people playing.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
As I know how to play Necromunda, and the gameplay is supposedly exactly the same, I'm hoping to pick up/copy the campaign bit from my next gaming group (just moved to Weymouth and looking for one now!).

I read an article outlining the differences, and the biggest one they came up with was that it replaces references to 'ganger' with 'fighter' in the rules, otherwise it sounds like a proper 'copy and paste ' job.

Maybe SW to Necromunda is like Alpha Strike is to Battletech - same principle, same mechanics, but streamlined and simplified in places, thus more accessible to the masses.

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
yeah, there are a few slight changes... shooting at someone whoes run gives a -1 to hit, overwatch has a straight -1 to hit too (cant honestly remember if thats in the current NCE or not), erm... there are a couple of other little bits, but they are the main 2 I think.

You can find most of the gang lists online for SW, if you are wanting to play and use 40k stuff, otherwise NCE is likely a better game to start up (mainly as you and others have rightly identified, for the campaign system).

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
I like to have the complete set of everything, but may hold off in this case and focus on finally painting the Goliath gang I bought 20 years ago! I've also got such a random collection of space adventurer-types, I want to give the Inquisition a run in Inquisimunda.

Cheers for the help chaps - pretty much confirms my thoughts. If anyone can clarify a reason to get involved I SW, I don't think it'd take much to sway me. It'll prob also be dictated by what the local gaming groups play.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Well you can find the inq rules for SW online, so if you find a local group who plays that, you're set!

Then you have goliaths if necromunda is the flavour of the group, and when the imunda stuff is ready, your SW warband can become your imunda warband too!

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
The only thing that is in the SW rulebook that isn't elsewhere are the Space Marine scout, imperial guard and ork rules and the simplified campaign and battle "weather" table.

It's a nice book to have just to have all the different races in one place or if you like a physical copy of the rules for ease of reference.

Reactions: dabbk and Ben_S

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
TBH I think I was swept up in the hype, but now I've investigated Inquisimunda a bit more, especially the excellent new version 3.0 being done (which will prob incorporate the good bits from SW anyway, by the sounds of it) I think I'll leave this one alone. I already have plenty of walkway type scenery and the old style metal scouts if I want to dip in to SW for one off games.

Cheers for all the input tho guys.

almic85

Cranky Git
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
Won't have my book on me until next week, but from memory camo cloaks reduce the long range of guns by 4 or 6 inches. They are really useful for anyone that has a shotgun and needs to get in close or for anyone else that wants to hide up on terrain and outshoot people.

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
As @almic85 said, and it is 4". Pretty useful indeed, especially against seasoned players: it changes your frame of reference!
Another point: in SWA, you can always measure stuff (not the case in ORB, nor NCE - or is it???), and that makes a big difference.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Excellent, cheers matey. I don't want to buy the book for a couple of minor tweaks to the Necromunda rules, so trying to piece together the changes for casual games at a a local club.

dabbk

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Nov 26, 2016
Berlin, Germany
No problem, I have it at hand, don't hesitate if you have further questions :)
My point is that the additionnal races are pretty cool, and even if it all is available in PDFs, I personnally like to have a physical book to go through it.

Stubram

Gang Hero
Jul 9, 2016
Dorset
Yeah. Despite every I've said, I'll probably crack and buy the bloody thing.

In the meantime, I'll keep chucking questions out as they come.

Ta!