Is the old world the 40k tera?

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Wow. Someone did their homework.
Heh! I'm a librarian. It's habit.

Edit: Separately, my collection of beastmen includes two WFB 3rd edition Slaan. I should polish up the paint job on those two frogs, maybe replace the old [flat, punch-through] shields with some newer lizardmen shields. They deserve it. ...Heck, maybe they can become mercenaries alongside my Cannibal Dinosaur Chickens From Space....

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Sigmar was a primarch!
Solidly viable. Right up until the sharp left turn of End Times and Age of Sigmar. Now he instead has always been* "the Chaos Power of Virtue and Humanity."

As a tangent, a lot of GW's more recent setting difficulties [the bits about which there are outcry from long-term fans of their settings] have arisen from removing ambiguity, on one hand, in favour of concrete "facts" [take the specificity which has come from the Horus Heresy novels and setting, with that conflict and its specifics no longer mythological, but now determined], and on the other hand from removing ambiguity in favour of concrete morality [take the virtuous good hero status now of both humanity's Empire and Space Marines led by Guilliman, and Sigmar's 'sigmarines' in AoS, instead of the Imperium being space Nazi bad guys alongside all the other bad guys, and the human Empire being corrupt]. The shift from Judge Dredd to Superman is jarring to those who noticed and enjoyed the social satire and deliberate dystopia of the former settings, I think, and that appears to be a significant part of where the backlash-that-was came from.

Luckily for us, the old settings have not been un-written or un-published, whether 40K, WHB, Mordheim, Necromunda, etc, so we can still fudge. And we CAN do that even without feeling to use either the old or the new rule-sets in each. Take the flavour of the ORB BitU Arbites [Mounties in the Yukon] but play them using the game mechanics of the N18 Enforcers, when they eventually get released? Sure, why not.

Reactions: GraaEminense

GraaEminense

Four-armed Emperor
Jan 12, 2015
Bergen, Norway
Hard to disagree with that assessment. A lot of annoyances with the setting are the results of no longer being "able" to make our own headcanon as the blank spaces get filled in.

In some ways, that makes what happened to WFB better than what happens to 40K (for those of us who are old-school grognards at least): There's a clear cut-off point at which you can say "anything after this does not apply in MY setting".

Reactions: Aulenback

GraaEminense

Four-armed Emperor
Jan 12, 2015
Bergen, Norway
Is Black Library fiction canonical? Just finished "Lords of Valour" from 2001 and in the last short story ("The Ultimate Ritual") the protagonist rides a demon "through the labyrinth of space-time" to visit what is clearly the 40K universe.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Is Black Library fiction canonical? Just finished "Lords of Valour" from 2001 and in the last short story ("The Ultimate Ritual") the protagonist rides a demon "through the labyrinth of space-time" to visit what is clearly the 40K universe.
Marc Gascoigne said it best in an old quote, when he was Head of Black Library:

“Keep in mind Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 are worlds where half truths, lies,
propaganda, politics, legends and myths exist. The absolute truth which is implied when you talk
about “canonical background” will never be known because of this. Everything we know about
these worlds is from the viewpoints of people in them which are as a result incomplete and even
sometimes incorrect. The truth is mutable, debatable and lost as the victors write the history…
Here’s our standard line: Yes it’s all official, but remember that we’re reporting back from a time
where stories aren’t always true, or at least 100% accurate. if it has the 40K logo on it, it exists
in the 40K universe. Or it was a legend that may well have happened. Or a rumour that may or
may not have any truth behind it.

Let’s put it another way: anything with a 40K logo on it is as official as any Codex… and at least
as crammed full of rumours, distorted legends and half-truths.

I think the real problem for me, and I speak for no other, is that the topic as a “big question”
doesn’t matter. It’s all as true as everything else, and all just as false/half-remembered/sort-of-
true. The answer you are seeking is “Yes and no” or perhaps “Sometimes”. And for me, that’s the
end of it.

Now, ask us some specifics, eg can Black Templars spit acid and we can answer that one, and
many others. But again note that answer may well be “sometimes” or “it varies” or “depends”.
But is it all true? Yes and no. Even though some of it is plainly contradictory? Yes and no. Do we
deliberately contradict, retell with differences? Yes we do. Is the newer the stuff the truer it is?
Yes and no. In some cases is it true that the older stuff is the truest? Yes and no. Maybe and
sometimes. Depends and it varies.

It’s a decaying universe without GPS and galaxy-wide communication, where precious facts are
clung to long after they have been changed out of all recognition. Read A Canticle for Liebowitz
by Walter M Miller, about monks toiling to hold onto facts in the aftermath of a nucelar war; that
nails it for me.“

That is admittedly becoming less true, now, years since he said it, but it is still probably a good standard to hold.

Reactions: GraaEminense