It's De-lack not De-laa-kew! *pronunciation spawn

CaptainDangerous

Chaotic-good 2nd Company Captain
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
I too was a delaCue’r until the big boys in games workshop metrocentre laughed at me in the 90s!
:LOL::D

I also accentuated the G in Waaaaagh! ......just me? ....maybe my dad?
:p

STAFF: Thread spawned from existing discussion

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
The person who corrected me when I pronounced it de-la-cue also pronounces tyranid "tirrinid". You know, like that big dinosaur the tirrinisaurus rex or that nasty tirrint King John - In my estmation his credentials to be correcting anyone's pronunciation are limited! :)

I do tend to say delack now though, I think through exposure to everyone else pronouncing it like that.

cronevald

Gang Champion
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
As I said in another thread, I like to think the Delaque spread the different pronunciations around to confuse the other houses.

(And to be honest I don't think I've found two people who could agree on the pronunciation of tyranid. The one that always used to bug me the most was the folks who would say shimmera for Chimera transports.)

Last edited:

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
New I too was a delaCue’r until the big boys in games workshop metrocentre laughed at me in the 90s!
I fondly remember being laughed at by GW Cardiff staff when pronouncing Arbites as Aar-by-tees as opposed to Aar-bytes.

Proud to have been later vindicated by GW head office that they are indeed Aar-by-tees and the guy in the store was a moron.

After all, we don't call Astartes "ass-tarts" do we?

also pronounces tyranid "tirrinid".
How do you pronounce it? I pronounce it like as in "tyrany" i.e. "tirranid". Sounds like you're pronouncing it "tie-ran-id" as in "tyrant". :eek:

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
How do you pronounce it? I pronounce it like as in "tyrany" i.e. "tirranid". Sounds like you're pronouncing it "tie-ran-id" as in "tyrant". :eek:
Indeed I am. The name is derived from the word tyrant, subsequently fluffed to be named for the planet Tyran (tie-ran). I don't doubt tirrinid's popularity though (y)

The one that always used to bug me the most was the folks who would say shimmera for Chimera transports.)
I'm an offender with Chimera - I started pronouncing it chai-mehra before I knew how to "properly" pronounce it kai-mehra. I still defauly to chai-mehra and then feel a bit dim afterwards.

Last edited:

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
As I said in another thread, I like to think the Delaque spread the different pronunciations around to confuse the other houses.

(And to be honest I don't think I've found two people who could agree on the pronunciation of tyranid. The one that always used to bug me the most was the folks who would say shimmera for Chimera transports.)
So is it Chim-er-a, Kim-er-a, chime-ra, or some other variant?

Have to admit I’m a Shimmera person.

Also a De-lack and a tirra-nid person.

Also put a soft g in waaaaagh as well.

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Issy-les-Moulineaux 92130 France
How do you pronounce it?
With a french accent :LOL:

"Delaque" is pronounced the same as "Dalek" with the vowels switched, or the "du Lac" from "Lancelot du Lac" replacing the 'u' with an 'e'
"Escher" is pronounced as the Dutch painter's name. Van Saar is pronounced as the dutch last name prefix 'Van' and the dutch (female) first name "Saar".
"Goliath" and "Chimera" are pronounced as the mythological figures.
"Tyranid" is pronounced as the beginning of "Tyrannosaurus" and the end of "arachnid".
Anything high gothic ("Astartes", "Arbites", "Mechanicus", etc.) is pronounced as it would be in Latin.

Anything else is Heresy :sneaky:

cronevald

Gang Champion
Jun 5, 2016
Missoula, MT
So is it Chim-er-a, Kim-er-a, chime-ra, or some other variant?

Have to admit I’m a Shimmera person.

Also a De-lack and a tirra-nid person.

Also put a soft g in waaaaagh as well.
I was taught it was a hard K and three syllables to match the Greek origin. Now watch someone prove I've been saying it wrong all these years. ;)

CaptainDangerous

Chaotic-good 2nd Company Captain
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
:LOL::LOL:

Going off topic but still within Sump boundaries:
I wonder if GW has the copyright for bad English? Like, would they come after me if I made some adaptis ass-tart commandos? (They have five new organs, a new bolter that has a little flashlight, fan-assisted armour and they were created when a really famous prominent random home economics teacher accidentally left a cake in for too long!)
And I once (can’t remember why) looked up how to spell a fart, but I’ve forgotten now, any guesses?
:LOL::D:p

almic85

Gang Hero
Oct 30, 2014
Palmerston, ACT, Australia
And that’s before you add in accents from around the world to fudge it up even more.

I was looking up the pronunciation on Webster’s and it uses “well known” words to define sounds and I thought every country must read this different.

If you’ve ever listened to an Aussie, a Kiwi and a Seffer take the piss out of each other you will understand how different a simple word like fish or prawn can sound.

FerociousBeast

Gang Champion
Jun 1, 2015
Verona, VA
As an American who listens to a lot of news, I've often been amused by how upper-crust Brits pronounce words so very differently not only from myself but also from each other, but always with the same high-falutin' accent, as if to say "We invented the language, so I can pronounce it however I damn well please!" We Americans tend to mock each other relentlessly for pronouncing words wrong.

Whenever I'm feeling like a bit of a verbal tussle with the Mrs., all I have to do is insist that the names "Ginny" and "Jenny" are pronounced the same.

Last edited: