It's De-lack not De-laa-kew! *pronunciation spawn

Discussion in 'Musings Of The Yak' started by CaptainDangerous, Dec 5, 2018.

1. CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous Chaotic-good 2nd Company Captain
    Tribe Council Yak Comp 3rd Place

I too was a delaCue’r until the big boys in games workshop metrocentre laughed at me in the 90s!
    :LOL::D

I also accentuated the G in Waaaaagh! ......just me? ....maybe my dad?
    :p

STAFF: Thread spawned from existing discussion

#1 CaptainDangerous, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
    sump dweller, Azzabat and cronevald like this.
  2. hellodarren

hellodarren Ganger

lol yeah I used to say Del-a-cue, Esker and Cowder.

3. Stoof

Stoof Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
    Tribe Council Yak Comp 2nd Place

The person who corrected me when I pronounced it de-la-cue also pronounces tyranid "tirrinid". You know, like that big dinosaur the tirrinisaurus rex or that nasty tirrint King John - In my estmation his credentials to be correcting anyone's pronunciation are limited! :)

I do tend to say delack now though, I think through exposure to everyone else pronouncing it like that.

4. cronevald

cronevald Ganger

As I said in another thread, I like to think the Delaque spread the different pronunciations around to confuse the other houses.

(And to be honest I don't think I've found two people who could agree on the pronunciation of tyranid. The one that always used to bug me the most was the folks who would say shimmera for Chimera transports.)

#4 cronevald, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. Tiny

Tiny Hive Guilder
    Tribe Council

I fondly remember being laughed at by GW Cardiff staff when pronouncing Arbites as Aar-by-tees as opposed to Aar-bytes.

Proud to have been later vindicated by GW head office that they are indeed Aar-by-tees and the guy in the store was a moron.

After all, we don't call Astartes "ass-tarts" do we?

How do you pronounce it? I pronounce it like as in "tyrany" i.e. "tirranid". Sounds like you're pronouncing it "tie-ran-id" as in "tyrant". :eek:

6. Stoof

Indeed I am. The name is derived from the word tyrant, subsequently fluffed to be named for the planet Tyran (tie-ran). I don't doubt tirrinid's popularity though (y)

I'm an offender with Chimera - I started pronouncing it chai-mehra before I knew how to "properly" pronounce it kai-mehra. I still defauly to chai-mehra and then feel a bit dim afterwards.

#6 Stoof, Dec 5, 2018
    ThreeDice and sump dweller like this.
  7. CaptainDangerous

........weeee dooo now! :sneaky:
    :ROFLMAO:

Edit:
    Other dangerous pronunciations:
    Tie ran id
    Chime E ra
    Adept us ah bites

#7 CaptainDangerous, Dec 5, 2018
    sump dweller, Punktaku, Tiny and 3 others like this.
  8. SumpRat

SumpRat Gang Champion

We do now.

enyoss, sump dweller, Ben_S and 7 others like this.
  9. almic85

almic85 Gang Champion

So is it Chim-er-a, Kim-er-a, chime-ra, or some other variant?

Have to admit I’m a Shimmera person.

Also a De-lack and a tirra-nid person.

Also put a soft g in waaaaagh as well.

10. Thorgor

Thorgor Of The YAQ

With a french accent :LOL:

"Delaque" is pronounced the same as "Dalek" with the vowels switched, or the "du Lac" from "Lancelot du Lac" replacing the 'u' with an 'e'
    "Escher" is pronounced as the Dutch painter's name. Van Saar is pronounced as the dutch last name prefix 'Van' and the dutch (female) first name "Saar".
    "Goliath" and "Chimera" are pronounced as the mythological figures.
    "Tyranid" is pronounced as the beginning of "Tyrannosaurus" and the end of "arachnid".
    Anything high gothic ("Astartes", "Arbites", "Mechanicus", etc.) is pronounced as it would be in Latin.

Anything else is Heresy :sneaky:

11. Tiny

Tiny Hive Guilder
    Tribe Council

Ky-mee-rah
    Deh-lack
    Tirra-nid
    Ass-tarts

Got it.

Is that Tie-ran-oh-saw-russ or Tir-an-oh-soar-us? :confused:

12. cronevald

cronevald Ganger

I was taught it was a hard K and three syllables to match the Greek origin. Now watch someone prove I've been saying it wrong all these years. ;)

13. Stoof

14. CaptainDangerous

:LOL::LOL:

Going off topic but still within Sump boundaries:
    I wonder if GW has the copyright for bad English? Like, would they come after me if I made some adaptis ass-tart commandos? (They have five new organs, a new bolter that has a little flashlight, fan-assisted armour and they were created when a really famous prominent random home economics teacher accidentally left a cake in for too long!)
    And I once (can’t remember why) looked up how to spell a fart, but I’ve forgotten now, any guesses?
    :LOL::D:p

sump dweller and Space Truckin like this.
  15. almic85

almic85 Gang Champion

And that’s before you add in accents from around the world to fudge it up even more.

I was looking up the pronunciation on Webster’s and it uses “well known” words to define sounds and I thought every country must read this different.

If you’ve ever listened to an Aussie, a Kiwi and a Seffer take the piss out of each other you will understand how different a simple word like fish or prawn can sound.

16. Tiny

Tiny Hive Guilder
    Tribe Council

We have some good pronunciation anomalies in Wales.

e.g.

Ear
    Here
    Hear
    Year

Some local dialects pronounce all of these words as the same word (sounding like "year").

17. Punktaku

Punktaku Un-Dis-Honored
    Honored Tribesman

de la que (day not deh)
    et er
    tear ah nid (like crying, not ripping)
    cha meer ah
    arr bites
    ass tar tease
    laz gun

#17 Punktaku, Dec 5, 2018
    CaptainDangerous likes this.
  18. FerociousBeast

FerociousBeast Gang Champion

As an American who listens to a lot of news, I've often been amused by how upper-crust Brits pronounce words so very differently not only from myself but also from each other, but always with the same high-falutin' accent, as if to say "We invented the language, so I can pronounce it however I damn well please!" We Americans tend to mock each other relentlessly for pronouncing words wrong.

Whenever I'm feeling like a bit of a verbal tussle with the Mrs., all I have to do is insist that the names "Ginny" and "Jenny" are pronounced the same.

#18 FerociousBeast, Dec 5, 2018
  19. Punktaku

Punktaku Un-Dis-Honored
    Honored Tribesman

@Tiny so would that be "this year year, I couldn't year with this year"?

(this here year, I couldn't hear with this ear)?

20. Punktaku

Punktaku Un-Dis-Honored
    Honored Tribesman

the one that gets me most is when they talk about their shhedual instead of skedual.

CaptainDangerous likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice