• YakTribe will be migrated to a new server on Monday night, April 12th after 2am GMT and should be available on Tuesday morning.

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
Culemborg, the Netherlands
My observations on Milliput, which I started working with recently: Green Stuff feels like working with plastic, Milliput feels like working with plaster. Or clay, depending on how much water you use with it. As @Unslain said, since it's water-soluable, you can control its consistency somewhat, and it does make a great paste for gap-filling. Recently I've tried to use it to offset something I am still struggling with when working with GS, which is getting a smooth surface finish. And while I'd say you can sand GS too, Milliput is much easier to sand and looks better.

One downside I found: Milliput is messier than GS, both because it's coated in some sort of emulsifier to make it storable, and it's water solubility makes it prone to staining stuff. But then again, if you put on your best suit and use your finest dishcloth as a surface for hobbying, you only have yourself to blame. But you do look stylish, cannot be denied.
Thanks, @SuboptimusPrime! Much to think about. I do of course try to look stylish while hobbying but with lockdowns and working from home for nearly a year, “stylish” has become a rather relative term anyway.

In any case, I managed to finish the Mining Laser drudge today. He took a lot of cutting and fitting to get rid of the original genestealer arms. It’s slightly wonky, but not so much I’m not happy with it. Any thoughts?

Next up will be painting these two to match the rest of the gang, or at least as miners wearing more or less the same colours...

Unslain

Gang Champion
Nov 29, 2014
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
That down-barrel shot is so very much a "do you feel lucky?" look. Perfect choice of head, love it!

The only thing I can think to critique is that trigger finger on the right hand. On marine gauntlets, I've had some success slicing in between the knuckles and adding poly cement enough to soften the plastic and then closing the gap by clamping it with a clothes peg. Might not hide the cut so well on a glove though. Could you curl a bit of spare plastic from between the fingers to the top of the handle to make a new trigger grip? I know safety isn't really a concern in the hive but for the sake of the structure, I can see there being a trigger to squeeze before the handle will pull back to ignite the laser. Or at least that's how I envisage those things working when there aren't three hands available.

But this is extreme nit-picking on my part. If you're happy with it (and you certainly should be proud) then on with the paint!

Reactions: Crazy Ivan

Ben_S

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Jul 26, 2015
Southampton, UK
If you wanted to experiment with gap filling, it looks like there's a bit of a gap between the helmet and the head - but it won't show once painted anyway.

Reactions: Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
That down-barrel shot is so very much a "do you feel lucky?" look. Perfect choice of head, love it!

The only thing I can think to critique is that trigger finger on the right hand. On marine gauntlets, I've had some success slicing in between the knuckles and adding poly cement enough to soften the plastic and then closing the gap by clamping it with a clothes peg. Might not hide the cut so well on a glove though. Could you curl a bit of spare plastic from between the fingers to the top of the handle to make a new trigger grip? I know safety isn't really a concern in the hive but for the sake of the structure, I can see there being a trigger to squeeze before the handle will pull back to ignite the laser. Or at least that's how I envisage those things working when there aren't three hands available.

But this is extreme nit-picking on my part. If you're happy with it (and you certainly should be proud) then on with the paint!
Thanks! Interesting idea on adding a trigger grip, will have a look! If it doesn’t work out, I’m just going to reason the pressure’s mostly on the lower part of his hand and therefore that finger is only loosely wrapped around the handle.

I did wonder how this thing is supposed to work for humans with only two arms, but then I figured it must, somehow, as it does seem to be a standard Imperial (STC-based?) piece of equipment, not exclusively Genestealer, so I decided not to worry too much about it... :p

If you wanted to experiment with gap filling, it looks like there's a bit of a gap between the helmet and the head - but it won't show once painted anyway.

Oh! Thanks for mentioning that, I hadn’t even noticed until I zoomed in the photo. Not sure how much that will bother me, I may still try to fix that...

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
This thread provides me with so much!
Stealing MANY of your ideas, that grapplehawk is inspired!
Thanks!

Two more gangers painted: it’s combat shotgun Gunners Hogan and “Broken“ Axel. Nothing special, but it’s nice to get these done so I have some options for expanding the gang when the campaign finally gets underway. Next are some more Greenhorns (in case I receive some from Settlements), a Meltagun Road Sergeant and an Arc Hammer Arms Master.

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019
So... before I get to more gangers, I first decided to work on my Prize Fighter. He's a former star of the NWE (Necromunda Wrestling Entertainment), victor over such legends as Hulk the Bulk, Yellow Fist and Arachno-Man: Commander Primus!

Still WIP, obviously. Thoughts? I think I'll at least make his hat more Blue. I'm not sure about the studs on his shield, though.

Crazy Ivan

Gang Hero
Nov 5, 2019