Jaws' Necromunda project.

cainex1

Hive Guilder
Dec 8, 2017
USA
Thank you. I try to pay more attention to color theory, but it's basically still trial and failure. Started mixing in green and reds to create contrast when painting all grey and all brown models for instance. Filtering with blues and reds, too. Via airbrush, but the subtle changes don't really show up in pictures.
It does show but it's subtle. Your color shifts are more natural and gradual than you could do with contrast. Or it could just be the art major in me coming out :3

Reactions: Jaws

Jaws

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Jul 23, 2013
Hamar, Norway
It does show but it's subtle. Your color shifts are more natural and gradual than you could do with contrast. Or it could just be the art major in me coming out :3
All of the latest miniatures are all painted with contrast. I start with a zenithal highlight to strengthen their effect. Then I mix them out on the wet palette. When I said I mix some green in the grey, I used Creed Camo with Administratum Grey(?). I felt this created a nice field grey.

I do sometimes use washes to create additional filters, too, by spraying carriburg crimson f.ex., from left side-above, and then using catachan camo shade from right side underneath, to simulate different environmental influences. I've also used the lighter enchanted blue, to give the appearance of sci-fi ceiling lights. Like on the Space Hulk terminators.

cainex1

Hive Guilder
Dec 8, 2017
USA
All of the latest miniatures are all painted with contrast. I start with a zenithal highlight to strengthen their effect. Then I mix them out on the wet palette. When I said I mix some green in the grey, I used Creed Camo with Administratum Grey(?). I felt this created a nice field grey.

I do sometimes use washes to create additional filters, too, by spraying carriburg crimson f.ex., from left side-above, and then using catachan camo shade from right side underneath, to simulate different environmental influences. I've also used the lighter enchanted blue, to give the appearance of sci-fi ceiling lights. Like on the Space Hulk terminators.
Really? Well, thats neat.

Jaws

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Jul 23, 2013
Hamar, Norway
Really? Well, thats neat.
Yes. :) I've always painted this way. I feel they are way too expensive, but they can be used straight in the airbrush. I see them mostly as pre-thinned paints, and use them like that. Usually in thin layers, even when brushing on. The time saved on not having to dilute makes it worth it to me. They also make great metallics when applied over Vallejo aluminium/chrome. Which means that is the only metallic colour I'll ever need.

I like this librarians head gear. Reminds me of the original terminator librarian armor.
The Space Hulk stuff is great, indeed. :)

Reactions: Mutant Modifier

cainex1

Hive Guilder
Dec 8, 2017
USA
That really came together well. I'm assuming you're going for a verdigris on the halo? If so, excellent. If not, what effect are you going for?

Reactions: Jaws

Jaws

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Jul 23, 2013
Hamar, Norway
I really like the color palette on these dark elves.
It was fun to try colour changing paints. Used on the spear and scales. But otherwise it's not much to them. The hair is unpainted, except for a light drybrush of Gris Lobo from Vallejo. The skin is thinned down Drakenhof. The zenital highlight does all the work, here. Metals are Vallejo Aluminium, with contrast paint, or Druchii Violet on top.

Reactions: Punktaku