Joe’s corner of Necromunda

May 5, 2021
So I’m taking the plunge into Necromunda for the first time. My Orlocks aren’t going to be delivered for a few days so I thought I’d get a head start on messing around with some terrain. Wanted to start with something simple and not too complex at first just to get my bearings so this is what I whipped up tonight out of chipboard I-beams and a taped up food container. Not really sure what it is or what its function will be, but I plan on fleshing it out a bit more as I go, adding lots of walkways, ladders, etc. maybe I’ll attach a solid structure to the side of the tower. No clue yet. It’s all very improvisational, but having fun with it so far.

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
That's a flying start right there! Without even having a gang. :giggle: Are you following any terrain makers out on the wide web, or just building from your own head?
Welcome to the tribe, looking forward to more terrain!

May 5, 2021
That's a flying start right there! Without even having a gang. :giggle: Are you following any terrain makers out on the wide web, or just building from your own head?
Welcome to the tribe, looking forward to more terrain!
I’m following pretty much everyone I can find on YouTube right now for inspiration. Eric’s Hobby Workshop has been my favorite as of late and I’ve been inspired by a lot of his builds and build patterns, but there are loads of channels I’ve been watching who I have learned a lot from. Dark Matter Workshop, Easy Terrain Builds, Wyloch, and Max DM Crafting to name a few among many others.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
My only suggestion so far is don’t forget to base it in some way. The points of contact between the I-beams and the can will be weak spots for wear when moving it around.

otherwise it’s a nice start. Loads of potential. Welcome to the tribe!

May 5, 2021
Made more progress than I thought I would tonight. Fixed a bit of the I beam placement, built out platforms, put a small entrance structure on one side of the tube/tower, and glued it all onto a epvc base, also adding a little floor vent down to who knows where. I still am not 100 percent sure what this structure is supposed to be, but I’m kind of leaning towards some kind of entrance into a shaft leading to a lower section of the hive city from whatever level this is located at. The broad strokes are mostly done with maybe a few more I beams being added later, then it’s detail time. Pretty happy with how it’s going. Really got into a nice hobby groove where I was just chugging along and completely lost track of time all the while making good progress.
full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Excellent! Those thick i-beams give it a solid, industrial feeling. Like this is one heavy piece of scenery. The platforms and the new base give it lots of open, playable space: miniatures have a place to go, and you can get your hands in there to move things around. If it’s “too open” for things like Line of Sight, there’s room for small scatter terrain too.

Reactions: Joooooooooe

Sump Duck

Ganger
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 9, 2020
Cracking stuff, those I-beams immediately made me think of Eric's hobby workshop. I thought his paper/card only build was especially cool. There's something so satisfying about well done scratch-built terrain and yours is no exception, nice work!

May 5, 2021
Cracking stuff, those I-beams immediately made me think of Eric's hobby workshop. I thought his paper/card only build was especially cool. There's something so satisfying about well done scratch-built terrain and yours is no exception, nice work!
Thanks! Eric's Hobby Workshop has definitely been my biggest inspiration to jump into Necromunda and my main frame of reference for this piece and I imagine future pieces too. I really like his style and am probably going to emulate a lot of his techniques in several of my builds. Making and assembling the I-beams is also super satisfying to do.

Reactions: Ben_S and Sump Duck
May 5, 2021
More progress
I think I’m pretty much done with the main structure itself and have gone over with my first pass of details. I still need to do rivets everywhere, add a bit of texture to the base, and maybe add in another small thing or two besides that, but it’s getting real close to being paintworthy:

full.jpg

I might make modular railings in the future but I think I am going to leave the main structure without them so I can place gangways/catwalks from this structure to others in any direction from the platforms I wish. Or maybe I should model some railings permanently and just leave gaps for catwalks. I dunno, what do you guys think?

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

These vent things on the tower are a straight rip of Eric’s Hobby Workshop’s all-cardboard build. I liked the look it from his video and it seemed easy to replicate, so I blatantly copied. Credit where credit is due.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Old school bottle cap barrels of who-knows-what.

full.jpg

Lonely little guardsman at the top of the tower for scale (since my orlocks are still in the mail). I’m still not 100% sure on what else I am going to do on the roof to finish it off as it’s still super bare. Was thinking of maybe putting up a rooftop billboard type thing on the opposite side of the little vents. Maybe a small little patch of tiny pipe work or something. I dunno yet. We’ll see I guess. Any suggestions are welcome.

Pagumb

Gang Champion
Honored Tribesman
Sep 10, 2020
Some more loose scatter terrain like a small pipe cluster or pump engine would likely give you additional details while retaining set up flexibility. Your small pipe, control panel layer of details are really nice.

May 5, 2021
I think it’s ready for paint? Maybe?
full.jpg

Finished detailing up to the point where I think I’m happy with it and it’s basically ready to get mod podged to protect all the paper/card and then painted. I loved all your suggestions and did my best to incorporate them all in. I don’t really have separate scatter terrain modeled that I can put in the terrain piece to give a variety of cover, but I figure that will be a project for another day. I put in a few extra panels to try and break up the larger flat surfaces without obstructing things too much and then I added a tiny bit of railing on the upper platform for visual interest without blocking access to potential catwalks during table setup.

full.jpg

Scratch built this little terminal on the top platform and was pretty pleased with how it came out. Any blank spots on the tower at this point were left intentionally blank to be covered in graffiti and/or posters in the painting phase.

full.jpg

In addition to the little panels on the roof, I decided to go with the billboard idea and built up this little frame. I like the idea of having billboards placed throughout my table to add a bit of flavor and fun. The billboard structure is the only part of the piece that isn’t glued on as I think I want to mod podge and paint it first before adding the billboard image for ease in work, then I’ll glue it down afterwards.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Ignore the baby poop base. It was the only color of texture paint I had on hand to give the base a subtle amount of grit and it looks so awful right now on the white epvc. Here is another small terminal I made similar to the one on the top of the structure but wall mounted here. Who knows what this thing controls. Probably something important.

full.jpg

full.jpg

Well, I have to say I am super pleased with how this is coming out. Now that the details are done, it’s riveted, and the base gritted, I think it’s time to seal and start painting. I’m super excited to paint it. I’m thrilled how fast this first terrain piece is shaping up (much faster than anticipated) and at this rate, I’ll have a terrain piece done and ready before my orlocks even get delivered.

May 5, 2021
Started laying down some paint. Still in pretty early stages. Did a mod podge coat to protect all the paper from swelling/warping from all the washes I'm planning on slathering this thing with, gave it a light dusting of black. then brown spray paint to be the undercolor layer of gross dirty metal (forgot to photo the stage with just brown spray paint), then heavily drybrushed/overbrushed metallic on everything. Next up is to start adding washes, painting sections different colors, and heavy weathering. Still has a ways to go to where I want it to be, but it's starting to come together visually.
full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

May 5, 2021
full.jpg

full.jpg
My box of orlocks were delivered a few days ago, so I took a quick break from painting the terrain piece and quickly threw together one model to be my test piece for my paint scheme and I’m really pleased with how it turned out. I tried a different method of painting using primarily washes and contrasts over a dry brushed, monochrome base model then added a few small hilights here and there to make it pop. The cloth in some places is a little chalky looking from the drybrush being a bit too heavy handed before applying the color tints on top, but overall I’m pretty happy with it. It’s fun to try out something new and have it come together nicely

MedMos

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Nov 10, 2014
Møn, Denmark
Yessir, that looks good. I'm practising the washes/glazes over monochrome underpaint now and again, but not having much luck in the way of results... I might get it one day.