Necromunda Journeyman Crawler:How to make it?

Clockworktheif

Feb 11, 2014
Hello everyone,

Me and some friends are looking to start an Ash Wastes campaign, starting with Choas cultists from GW as a base for now, along with vehicles form my ork army and the like. Are there any crawlers people have made for journeymen I could use as inspiration? I picture them as smaller jawa sand crawlers or like the elephant from halo, so I'm curious about sizing and the like.

Thank you

Clockworktheif

Feb 11, 2014
Thank you guys so much. I'll look around for that one, and the link in one of the links is very helpful. Where could I get some good models for characters. I'm using the 10$ pack of chaos cultists to start, but looking for other alternatives, including tutorials for green stuff and such.

I'll be making a prototype of the crawler out of cardboard and posting it before I make it out of plasticard.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Clockworktheif

Feb 11, 2014
Thinking of making it like this guys. Is there a place to by old tank bits to make treads?http://www.easternfringe.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4927

AngryJebus

Ganger
Feb 17, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm in the process of turning a M26 Recovery Vehicle into a sort of 'mini' Journeyman crawler. Need to make some suitable rear tracks but its got a suitable industrial/go anywhere vibe to it I feel.

(the model shown is not my own!)

Attachments

Clockworktheif

Feb 11, 2014
Wow, that looks really good. I'm in the process of drawing out a design for my crawler, but that looks like an amazing base. Where did you find that model, or any ideas for other bases I could possibly use? Also, what are good model bases for gangers and such, especially for journeymen.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Mixing in some tallern desert raiders from the imperial guard range, possibly some valhallens too, they can both look quite covered up/ragtag like you'd expect journey men to be. possibly ebay the odd one or two so you can pick to poses that can have lasguns removed easier.

if you want a more ragtag approach then empire state troopers could look poor enough (also amazing for scavies/shanty town gangs). eitehr greenstuff or headswap gasmasks/rebreathers onto them.

if you're going for a more mad max/water world crew, then orlocks/catachan/maruaders from chaos fantasy, all with extra rags and cloth greenstuffed on could look cool.

If I was going to re-do a journey man gang esp for that purporse i'd use a lot of the new style orlock metals who sport bandannas, do them all up in browns/tan with maybe red scarfs for that splash of colour. I'd be doing a crawler which was fully enclosed, so unless they've poped out to see off raiders, they are inside so dont need the dust coats. If your crawler was going to be more exposed to the elements then looking for delaque or similar styleduster coats might fit better. hope that helps

AngryJebus

Ganger
Feb 17, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Clockworktheif said:
Wow, that looks really good. I'm in the process of drawing out a design for my crawler, but that looks like an amazing base. Where did you find that model, or any ideas for other bases I could possibly use? Also, what are good model bases for gangers and such, especially for journeymen.
Can find that particular model on eBay, there's a few around, if not, there's always google :)

Clockworktheif

Feb 11, 2014
How well made are the forge world models, in particular, the tallarn sniper squad. My friend is playing a nomad gang, and both of us want a long rifle guy, of some form. Also, are there any tutorials on how to use green stuff and kit bash? And where can I get just random bits and bobs to build onto my crawler. I have a pretty good outline of what I want it to look like, and a name The Dune Gypsy. And what do you think about kit bashing a space marine scout biker as an outrider.

Badaab

Ganger
Dec 18, 2013
Colorado, US of A
For the price of the one Tallarn model from Forge World you can grab one of the IG Comman Squad boxes. Both the Catachan and Cadian variants contain sniper model components you can mix and match.

Clockworktheif

Feb 11, 2014
I never even noticed the command box. Thank you for the info. Also, with the paper craft stuff, those are amazing. Are they 28mm scale by chance? Or am I going to have to do some scaling?

I'm making a journeyman gang, so I'm thinking kit bashed cultists probably, while my friend is playing ash waste nomads, so he was looking at the catachan command box earlier today when I showed him.

Any thing else?

nooker

Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have not made the Sandmaster (but I really should as it's a cool looking model) but the other stuff I have made from the site is 28mm. Also as you tool around the site and download things you can see models in the paper models. There are several models that I think would work well as Ash Waste vehicles, including some models that are definitely influenced by the Alien movies. I don't think you'd have to do any scaling other than changing your printer to print to actual size instead of fit to print area.
World Works Games has some stuff that can be kit bashed to make good vehicles. Their Platform Command stuff is especially useful for Necro and Red Sector has vehicle stuff. I made this:

nooker

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
I use 110 lb pound card stock. On printing I have a "Page Scaling" option. I believe it defaults to "Fit to Printable Area" (mine doesn't anymore). All the instructions I ever see about printing paper models say to change that to "None." I have some instructions around here somewhere that I'll see if I can post.

nooker

Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Feb 17, 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
When my son is old enough to truly play I plan to kit bash this:

Got it for a buck at a bazaar.