N18 Keeping models WYSIWYG through a campaign

Oct 14, 2018
Australia
I’ve been searching Reddit, Facebook and Yak for some ideas but have had trouble finding much of anything.

My question is what does everybody do to add weapons to models temporarily? I’m not looking to magnetise hands as it’s too restrictive and a lot of work if I’m playing a different gang here and there.

I’ve ordered some weapons from Victoria Miniatures that don’t have hands on them and plan to use them for our current campaign. Are there alternatives to blu-tack or some sort of adhesive folks use that doesn’t damage the paint?

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
Build additional models? I always aim to have primary weapon(s) as the ones in the fighters hands/being used by them, while back ups/equipment is just on their list and I make sure the opponant is aware.

So i aim to have 20-25 models for a gang to give me the options for a variety of loadouts I'll most likely swing towards.

Edit: sorry, I get this isnt an option for everyone, and I'd have no issue playing against gangs that have any level of loadout shown so long as its clear, but this is what I prefer to do as I enjoy the challenge of making the extra models to suit

Oct 14, 2018
Australia
Build additional models? I always aim to have primary weapon(s) as the ones in the fighters hands/being used by them, while back ups/equipment is just on their list and I make sure the opponant is aware.

So i aim to have 20-25 models for a gang to give me the options for a variety of loadouts I'll most likely swing towards.

Edit: sorry, I get this isnt an option for everyone, and I'd have no issue playing against gangs that have any level of loadout shown so long as its clear, but this is what I prefer to do as I enjoy the challenge of making the extra models to suit
I think this is where I might head eventually, and it would certainly be a challenge to paint up two of the same model with different loadouts and definitely good fun. I just don’t like to pigeonhole a fighter from The outset and prefer more flexibility.

I certainly have no issues with models not being WYSIWYG in our campaigns, it’s more of a personal thing for me because I forget so much stuff when I’m playing that if I don’t have the plasma gun represented it might as well not be on their card either!

Reactions: spafe

spafe

Executive Officer in charge of Hats
Staff member
Necromunda Custodian
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Feb 8, 2013
Tilehurst, U.k.
it would certainly be a challenge to paint up two of the same model with different loadouts
Ah no, mine arn't 'the same model'. Mine are 'Cawdor fighters with x' Cawdor fighter with Y, and Cawdor fighter with Z. These are then numbered on the base (1-40 odd currently), then the model that best suits that fighters loadout is used (with an ID number scribbled onto the card so I knwo which one is which in the case of 3 autogun armed gangers or whatever).

If a model gains a plasmagun... that plasmagun is likely their primary weapon, so cawdor model No. 23 is selected (the one holding a plasmagun), as the closest match, the fact that the model doesnt have a lasgun strapped to his back but the fighter actually has a backup lasgun on his card, thats something I'll make folk aware of but see no need to represent/model, esp as cawdor model No. 23 may only have a plasmagun in the next campaign.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
As I am a strict adherent of the “Glue for the Glue God” philosophy, I go the extra models route as well.

An option could be to create open handed models (or maybe models armed with the free knife -ORB-) and make up some kind of counter to keep next to the model with the load out on it. Something like a base with a bolt gun or flamer or twin holstered pistols. It could make for a cluttered board, tho.

Or make your models with your popular load outs and use the counter idea to show changes. (This lasgun model now has a plasma gun, so this plasma gun on a base goes with the model)

TopsyKretts

Hive Lord
Honored Tribesman
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
Keep spare models. Let's say I start with a ganger with an autogun. Later in campaign, I want to upgrade to a Boltgun. That's only possible because I already got a spare model armed with a boltgun. I upgrade the ganger, return the autogun to stash and purchase a new boltgun. Next expansion of the gang could be a new ganger armed with an autogun...

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
And I also create extra versions of a given character, really for the sake of having the chance to create an alternate version of a given character. Helps show their progression, etc.

That said, I play ORB, where loadouts are more flexible, yet change less, in many ways. Still, injuries, dramatically interesting skills, or a fancy rare bit of equipment can be reason to "promote" a ganger to a new model. Heck "Legbreaker" [from a YakComp] is likely to become the "promoted" version of one of the gang's "juves," when they become competent and warrant a new model.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
And one "iconic" element to a given ganger's outfit can make repainting "matches" easier - "Aloysius here always paints his right shoulder pad red, on any bit of armour that he gets. Dunno why. He allas mutters something about his Da. Who knows? Lucy? She's been wearing thos same green boots fer YEARS now. They gotta smell somethin' awful. Ain't never seen Bilgewater there without an eyepatch, but blast me if I ain't sure as he's actually still got both eyes...."

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
“Extra” models are good for weird happenings too. My ORB Ratskins scored a flamer, and my gaming group would allow it only if I had an appropriate model, so I made a quick conversion. I’ll probably never get to use that model again, tho. but just in case, I have him.

Jumbley

Black And White Son Of A Gun
Sep 5, 2019
And those models are the ones that have the best stories to share about them later.

"Why is one of your Gangers modeled with a... Shuriken catapult?" "Well, let me tell you..."

Reactions: Ben_S and Punktaku
Oct 14, 2018
Australia
Keep spare models. Let's say I start with a ganger with an autogun. Later in campaign, I want to upgrade to a Boltgun. That's only possible because I already got a spare model armed with a boltgun. I upgrade the ganger, return the autogun to stash and purchase a new boltgun. Next expansion of the gang could be a new ganger armed with an autogun...

I’m due another box of Escher anyway to be honest. Might have a crack at some weapon conversions!

My only thing with doing this is I build these huge backstories for gangs and individuals in my head so switching them to a different looking model would give me a permanent eye twitch. Alas, it is a solid idea.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Depends on how converted your models are. For Escher, using the base kit you can just use the same torso head/hair and any accessories and just put the new arms on. Then paint it the same.

It only really becomes a big issue if you have say, multi ethnicities and you end up swapping that as well as weapons. Same issue goes for magnets really.

My preference is to play as the model as is, all the stuff is on the roster or card anyway, and if they receive a significant upgrade then I’ll make them a new model. I never really chop and change that much anyway. Mostly leaders get flashy gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Punktaku