Kill Team 2.0

stato

Juve
Feb 14, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
I dont think it will be the issue everyone thinks it will be once you actually play the game, as there is no granularity required. From what we have seen movement will always be with the smaller guage (and likley most units in your faction using the same shape so you will only use one side). Shooting is either infinite or the ruler gauge. That will be pretty simple to use and fit in amongst terrain where a tape doesnt always fit in space available.

Reactions: RedRowan

Galtarr

Gang Hero
Mar 1, 2017
I know there are shapes for range...but isn't the game still in inches?
Ultimately yes. They even stated that you can still use a ruler if you wish.

H1csRcl6bi10P0vf-665x228.jpg

I don't have an issue with it per se. I just don't understand the driver for it.

Also I think it is both for movement and range.

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Not only that, but the logic behind assigning symbols makes zero sense.

Should have been:
1" = circle (1 edge)
2" = ^ оr split cirle (2 edges)
3" = triangle (3 edges)
6" = hexagon (6 edges)
Was just going to write that. It would make more sense if the symbols corresponded with the number.

Looking at the graphic I see:
3, 0, 4, 5.

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
Symbol use may be for all those countries that don't do imperial measurements; if you give someone a length of something and tell them that length is "Circle", it simplfies the understanding. It also pushes more sales of bespoke measuring devices.

I'm not sure how many countries don't have any access whatsoever to a tape measure measuring inches, mind...

Caledore

Ganger
Jun 2, 2015
Maryland, USA
The Kill Team narrative campaigns sound like WarCry campaigns, with each person advancing along their campaign regardless if you opponent is playing in a campaign. I have yet to actually play WarCry (thanks COVID), but from what I've read it seems to work pretty well.

The narrative and campaign rules are really what are going to make or break KT2.0 for me. They seemed to be such an after thought in the first edition.

Reactions: Galtarr

MusingWarboss

Hive Guilder
Oct 31, 2013
Symbol use may be for all those countries that don't do imperial measurements; if you give someone a length of something and tell them that length is "Circle", it simplfies the understanding. It also pushes more sales of bespoke measuring devices.

I'm not sure how many countries don't have any access whatsoever to a tape measure measuring inches, mind...
I’m not sure I buy that explanation really. There can’t be a country in the world that doesn’t understand numbers or counting - even if they use different words for them. The 0-9 symbols are pretty much universally understood, so if you grabbed a random length of string and said “this is 1”, then 4 would be four times that length.

What you’re describing only makes sense if ⭕️ is one. Then you’d have ⭕️⭕️⭕️⭕️ Making 4. Adding symbols means people have to know what they represent so it’d make sense to have the sides or points as the reference - which they haven’t.

Makes me think they’re trying to go all PlayStation really.

What they have got is something that starts to look like one of those stupid maths graphics where 3 bananas = one half egg, 4 half eggs = a giraffe therefore tell us what 2 giraffes + 1 banana - an omelette is.

Maybe I’m missing something but in previous games dating back to the mid-90s GW just... included a ruler with numbers on.

Reactions: Mr. M

Ardavion

Gang Hero
Nov 22, 2011
@MusingWarboss I'm pretty skeptical of the whole "symbols for distances" myself, I think it's a waste of time versus using a simple tape measure, ruler, or one of those pre-existing measuring tools people have with 1", 2", 4" and 6" on (I'm not too familiar with those, I have a tape measure).

The use of symbols is to simplify measurements using their measuring stick that comes in the box, and to help shift sales of said measuring sticks.

The comment of countries knowing numbers and counting doesn't necessarily correlate with the understanding of what inches are - again, I don't think there would be any country or person who couldn't get their head around the concept of thous, barleycorns, inches, hands, feet, yards, chains, furlongs, miles and leagues, but actually using those units tends to not happen in a lot of countries that use the metric system, so if you told someone in a predominantly metric country to measure inches it may not be something they're used to.

Telling someone to use the "circle" side to measure model movement, using the handily provided measuring tool that shows you how big "circle" is, is a bit more "straightforward".

To put it another way, if you had a 3/4/5 triangle but replaced all the numbers with symbols, e.g. circle/square/octagon, then I told you to measure out two circles' worth of length using the provided triangle, you'd put the circle side down on the table twice. No mention of numbers, but you're told a distance in a certain style of measurement and provided a tool that uses those measurements, so you can measure those distances out accordingly.

Again, I'm only trying to provide some rationale to the whole thing; I doubt there are any countries that don't actually know what an inch is and don't have measuring devices for said inches, and I'd prefer to use a tape measure with inches on.

Other angles are that it differentiates the system more from others, and it's an obstacle should anyone want to play in a different scale - not much, but people need the little bit of extra headspace to remember "⭕==2 inches" then convert to the required scale.

The measuring tool is an ersatz ruler; thanks GW for letting me use the word "ersatz" in a sentence, haven't done that in a long time.

Reactions: Willnox
Feb 21, 2020
I think there's also that game design people seem to live in their own bubble. What they think is a cute idea in their twittersphere doesn't always translate to what normal people would think as intuitive. I don't track board games but wouldn't surprise me if this whole "use weird shapes instead of measurements because reasons" is big over there in their little corner of their design space.

Deckard_2049

Ganger
Nov 20, 2017
California
I'm not too keen on the shapes either, it's pretty meh. As has been pointed out the logic between the actual shapes and what they should represent just isn't sensible. There are some other positive aspects about this iteration of the game though. It's like they take 1 step forward and simultaneously at least 1 or 2 steps back.

Plus I already know i'm going to be irritated when I find drukhari wracks were once again left out of the initial books.

Gunkaiser

Gang Hero
Honored Tribesman
May 24, 2017
Corvallis, Oregon
Already digging Crusade (which seems to be an iteration of the Warcry system) so I'm looking forward to this. I mean, no it's not remotely on Necro's level (any version), but if I want that SWAg does it alright.