Kill Teams 2018

Discussion in 'Kill Team' started by Sethmerlin666, Mar 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sethmerlin666

Sethmerlin666 Gang Hero
    Honored Tribesman Yak Comp 2nd Place

So along with the Van Saar announcement there is also this teaser of a new Kill Team game.
    Rules not based on 40k apparently, a new rule set...
    In the video you can clearly see a D10, so a large departure for GW there... Aiming at the roleplaying market more without re-releasing Inquisitor? Maybe some Necromunda type developments with individual activations and a deeper between game process?
    Interesting to see what they do, as was a cool idea the first time round which the Heralds of Ruin community made into something actually good (like what this place does for Necro).

Blood Donor, Ben_S and spafe like this.
  2. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Tribe Council Yak Comp 2nd Place

I'm thinking it might be like the SW:A release, before necromunda. So give it 3 quarters of a year and they'll drop this as Inq is released. Just a hunch

3. Space Truckin

Space Truckin Gang Champion
    Yak Supporter

Whatever happened to that space mehreens vs necron counters board game? Is this it?

4. Ben_S

Ben_S Hive Guilder
    Honored Tribesman

Interesting. Though I don't know, right now, how much trust I have in a GW rule set. I recently picked up Osprey's Black Ops, which seems like it could work for Kill Team-type espionage missions.

5. Sethmerlin666

Sethmerlin666 Gang Hero

More GW abandonware no doubt... But still, experimenting with a new game mechanic may pay off... The changes (despite the MANY flaws) in Necromunda are really good, so they may be gradually looking to put some of these mechanics into 40k with this as a pathway.... It would be nice if they playtested rules properly themselves rather than making people buy games to test rules for them... but anyway... GW....

6. Ardavion

Ardavion Gang Champion

"Create Your Own Story"
    "Great For Roleplayers and Tabletop Gamers"

Sounds like they're trying to win the RPG crowd over, but I can't help but be pessimistic about GW pulling it off. It could be an attempt to get similar tournament play to ShadeSpire/N17/Blood Bowl but with 40k minis.

If they are serious about the RPG aspects, I'd be interested in the ruleset they're thinking of using, as its clearly a departure for them (even without the D10s) - the old Inquisitor rules had so much crunch to them I'd wonder how they'll extend it beyond a handful of models each side, let alone full squads.

CaptainDangerous likes this.
  7. MusingWarboss

MusingWarboss Gang Champion

If it was that would mean it would be designed to shift the new plastic kits.

Somehow though I think in this case it’s not going to be SW:A2. Not just because of the new rules but also they’re pitching it like Shadespire. When we see more we’ll know but it could be designed to use regular 40k models OR it could have Shadespire style boxes released with specific Kill Teams.

The rules however, will be interesting. I do wonder if they’ll be totally unique or if they’ve nicked a load of stuff from New Necromunda, if true it might be the closest we see to a compendium for a while!

8. MusingWarboss

MusingWarboss Gang Champion

I meant as a competitive tournament style game that’s relatively quick to play missions. Not looked at the book pages.
    Depending on what’s required a repackage of stuff (with cards maybe if it used them?) is likely.
    Interesting.

#8 MusingWarboss, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018 at 11:14 PM
  9. Sethmerlin666

Sethmerlin666 Gang Hero

Your eyes are much better than mine....

#9 Sethmerlin666, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018 at 11:14 PM
  10. CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous Chaotic-Good Yakmarine Scout Captain ‘F-Diddy’
    Tribe Council Yak Comp 3rd Place

Although I’m going to try Not to buy this product, I’m especially intrigued by the new ruins and what looks to be game boards!?
    In the section of the video that says about distinct killzones it shows four different environments, all the different boards all have a flat mattish look to them, so I wonder if they are bringing more sets out similar to the moon base one?
    I suspect that the feedback they (gw) got from shadow wars, was that folks liked the idea but just couldn’t get away with the 2nd ed. ruleset.

Overall, I really don’t feel the video fits the 40k universe, and I think the tone is slightly off considering the nature of the game. (I.e. total war)
    I’ll put a link to the shadow war video with I feel is much more tasteful....

Ardavion and Space Truckin like this.
  11. Cryptix123

Cryptix123 Ganger

I thought the tone was tongue in cheek like when they did the Yugio-style trailer for that card game.

12. CaptainDangerous

Iv just checked that video out :LOL::LOL: two thin coats Duncan is a legend!!!

But that is precisely my point!
    What is the targeted age range for yugio cards?
    I very much doubt there is a character that rends people apart with a chainsaw or collects the skulls of their victims?

I really like the most their (whtv) videos, I’m really fond of the necromunda one, but this one just doesn’t feel right, abit too ‘clean’ for my tastes.

Space Truckin likes this.
  13. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Tribe Council Yak Comp 2nd Place

I see you've never read the cards descriptions then my good man! Some truly aweful stuff, but some really funny ones too

14. CaptainDangerous

The only cards I know how to play are, jacks twos and aces, and solitaire unfortunately :p:LOL:

I’d be pleasantly surprised if it isn’t aimed at young teenagers,
    And I can appreciate that I was once a young teenager playing warhammer once upon a time,
    But it was a time when no-one really stopped you from watching robocop!
    :D

15. Gunkaiser

Gunkaiser Ganger

All indications are that this'll be out this month most likely...

16. Ned Noodle

Ned Noodle Gang Hero
    Honored Tribesman Yak Comp 1st Place

Definitely this month, I’ve seen an official teaser trailer saying a July release, just can’t seem to find were I saw it.

17. Warorie

Warorie Ganger

warhammer community FB page, Bolter & Chainsword FB page all have links to the video

spafe likes this.
  18. Punktaku

Punktaku Un-Dis-Honored
    Honored Tribesman

sure that orange die isn’t a d8?

19. Space Truckin

Space Truckin Gang Champion
    Yak Supporter

So this is it. Another year a new kill team.
    Ah but wait this version has funny looking dice those DnD nerds talk about.
    :D
    All jokes aside this is going to be interesting if rumours pan out. Kill teams being the first release and rogue trader being an expansion of with an expansion promised twice a year.

Still feeling very much butt sore after Shadow Wars and now N17. I'm going to skip this release. Part of me is really hoping they get it right this time but I'd be a right sucker to pay to play test another system.

Besides hadn't seen any templates yet. Surely it will have templates!o_O

20. Might be worth picking it up just for the fact your opponent options could, should(?) be deeper than Necromunda. Just about everyone has various 40k models laying about.

Prefer the smaller RPG approach to gaming, rather than nameless armys battling it out. I didn't bother picking up the original Killteam or Shadow War though so I might not be as jaded as some others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice