giphy.gif

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
A bit more work on the Red Rokkit Trukk Stop, hidden within this
nc_ohc=8gr_bWMWu4UAX-0e9hI&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhz1-1.jpg

^ Here we see the trukk stop crew, ready to turn your pit stop into a tune up.

nc_ohc=73ojgs6q-LIAX84QWY6&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhz1-1.jpg

^ A sense of scale. A primer coat to seal the MDF, before attaching the Rokkit sign to the tower, and painting it up.

Paint scheme for the building proper with be predominantly a dingy white, with a red "stripe" slat for the fourth slat up on each side. And of course, lots of rust and worn metal. The idea is to roughly parallel this colour scheme:
maxresdefault.jpg

So like so:
nc_ohc=To7lrBPPJzMAX9SfxVW&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhz1-1.jpg

^ The Red Rocket truck stop colours. The end caps and the projecting elements will be a mix of rusty metals.
nc_ohc=5Pl0QqKvXLcAX96YxAy&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhz1-1.jpg

^ The fabled "view from the top."

And there you have the progress thus far.

Nice Tzeentch cultist, there! I do love how flexible the Kroot kit is. The parts combine nicely with a whole host of other kits. Plus, of course, cannibal dinosaur chickens.

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Update Update, just a bit more progress on the Red Rokkit trukk stop. That means just a few more photos to add to these spoilers.
nc_ohc=B1JEgEoTuxcAX9dqbFr&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=CWKnf3_S0xIAX_2WgB8&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=8R3wD63aj2kAX8o8p8W&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

Next, printing the crane and using the salvaged chain and hooks to set up the "work yard," and gluing, strapping, and painting the cans for the fueling depot. This MIGHT actually be done by the middle of the month. Who knew?

Okay, yes, also allowed myself to get distracted sprucing up a few more Kroot "Snagas" who will never actually be customers, but will occasionally ... visit.
e611e9bb728d6c7d3c856d53e361f1a4ade70be2.gif

nc_ohc=uuolhUnXszoAX-r8l2U&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

^ And one outside the spoiler, too. Door handles at grot height. Like they planned it.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Ran the crane through the 3D printer yesterday. Not bad, not bad. Ran it at 0.06mm, with supports, at 30% infill. Three hours later...

nc_ohc=TufeqGEj7YMAX9d9Iba&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

^ Still embedded in the printing supports framework.

nc_ohc=nUtLZcbeW9sAX_oi-_c&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

^ Pulled from the supports, though not yet cleaned up. As you can see, still some "flash" points scattered about it, but it is definitely the thing I was after.

nc_ohc=iKmY81g4m1kAX9zi_Ku&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

^ Test fitting where it will be mounted, hanging over the extension, into the "wurk space." Chain with hooks and possibly engine parts will be depending from the end of the armature.

nc_ohc=nWTkmPzxwqsAX_2Qcw1&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

^ Test fit viewed from the other side. Salesgrot [snacks for the gobbo on the go] included for scale.

So the printing and scale of this element was the "big risk" part of this design, that being a central element to the narrative of the terrain piece. Phew! Looks likeda job'll be a good 'un.

Didn't even hide it behind spoilers. Look at that.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
And another update, as the middle of the month rolls ever closer.

The "squig house" is rough painted, because just like a locked "facilities," every trukk stop must have a guard ... er ... thing:
nc_ohc=H_gw_UtDtkwAX92ifYm&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

The crane is painted and mounted [using two old construction nuts, salvaged from some backyard changes; already partly rusted, each was mounted to a point along the upper rail in which the crane can then be settled, but when not the crane mounting, they look like an abandoned massive nut]:
nc_ohc=hDhy9M2_nU8AX8P5Kz_&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

The crane has a hook yet to be added to the recovered jewelers' chain [from an old bracelet], and the can at the back will shortly become the refuelling depot:
nc_ohc=ghxXQOqNhRwAX-zk3ff&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

The front door handle really IS scaled for grot height, and rather low for orks:
nc_ohc=MZ1mAiNs6U0AX9pjOBj&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

And finally for this afternoon: Pullin' in fer service. Checking the spacing against actual vehicles. In this case, installing new gubbins on this Big Lugga:
nc_ohc=i8KtnH-IsoIAX_nsl4i&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

In all, I am pleased thus far. Over the long term, there are lots of bits of detritus I want to add in, such as a Nuka Cola vending machine, and a row of old Arcade games, and even the parts of the GW mek workshop terrain piece, but all of those things are scatter terrain to spruce it up. Finishing the fuel depot can will give the piece a solid footprint on the table without actually taking up the table.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
And with the Red Rokkit truk stop temporarily out of the way [until I 3D-print the Nuka Cola machine and the Arcade Game cabinets to make more scatter], time to turn my eye back to the Cannibal Dinosaur Chickens From Space that are the theme of this plog. A few more built, though not painted. Yet.

So to begin with, an alternate Seeker/Shaper [or lucky Snagga/Knarloc rider], with a lovely bit of archaeotech to blow things up with:
nc_ohc=_xsmcCmCdioAX9yc281&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=8KpnHjRPsZ4AX_2Zxgz&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

A really simple "Snagga" equivalent [Kroot on Knarloc-a-saur]:
nc_ohc=znh-_nL9fesAX856OGw&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=xEjvAgd5Og8AX9AULFy&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

^ Not a lot of trophies or gear on that one.

Here is one with some modifications to the rifle, while not shifting it so far as to seem to be another weapon entirely. Snagga equivalent again.
nc_ohc=XdCyAM-VVtQAX_oxVCh&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=kenayTJVMmgAX_lxrxd&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

And this one needs some more gewgaws added. Like the other too-simple-still one above, I plan to make use of some leftovers from the Ork Freebooterz box, as the sprues there contain lots of extra bits that should suit well:
nc_ohc=Mlno1ln6i7gAX-qWiGC&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=9YOCTuXZCQQAX-wZ7gS&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

This should, alongside the melee-equipped Krootox/Unk and two ranged-equipped Krootox/Unk, provide enough backup for the hunter and shaper, for a long, long campaign.

nc_ohc=Nn3nSvD28bAAX9K-yiH&_nc_ht=scontent.fyhz1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Too late for the competition, sure, but still. Unpainted but printed and assembled, some scatter barricade for the trukk stop. One salvaged Vim soda machine, three salvaged arcade games (yes, that one with the trackball controller is Centipede), rescued from the wreckage along the Skid.

Printed from this file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2748939 for the arcade cabinets, and from this file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3113927 for the soda vendor.

nc_ohc=hYrAeszLA1YAX_FykbX&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
So to spruce up the rather empty baggage of this next batch of Knarloc Riders [Snaggas], I am aiming to print off some of these:

And the discovery of THESE recently added to Thingiverse by Sean White will be a lovely thing for any of us making Kroot:

Because the biggest challenges to working with the Kroot as models is the expense of getting hold of every other kit's extra gewgaws and gubbins. Sure, ork kits still give me a bunch of stuff to work with, but the bits box is starting to look empty of things that are not weapons.

Edit: And... OH MY!

Last edited:
Reactions: trollmeat

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
And an update to one of the krootox [the one that gets to play in both the GorkaMorka mob and the Necromunda gang], for a not-too-subtle geek reference to what I suspect heavily inspired the kroot by GW - one of the few things not lifted from GW by Blizzard [which generally were lifted in turn by GW from other sources as a deliberate pastiche]:

nc_ohc=h0p8A7qqVXUAX-2nhT-&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

^ A bit of shoulder armour fills in the silhouette in a spot that seemed empty when viewed from the front. The extra pack at the rider's waist does similarly for that rear quarter.

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
So with slight loosening of Distancing regulations here in NS, had the first-but-really-Second match up in our 25th anniversary campaign yesterday, and took the Kroot “Ratskins” for a first spin. A loot and Pillage scenario, and a narrow “loss” for the Kroot Underdogs.

The important bits are that the Krootox is solid in melee but has a weakness to pinning (good), like the headhunter it replaces. The hunting rifles are ... not as good as their cost. Which is good - don’t mistake me. Having a -1 to hit on anything within 18”, on a 3x3 table, and BS3 or 4, doesn’t amount to much. And a 50% chance to stay Hidden isn’t actually great odds.

So for now, those fears are very much allayed.

The Krootox and rider earned a BS advance (from being the third fighter in an outnumbering melee), so frag grenades for him. We will see if THAT breaks him, or if balance still seems okay.

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Terrain!

One copy of an oh-so-ubiquitous [for both NM and GM] soda-can-makes-storage-tank:

[image pending]

And something intended to fit both for a table edge piece for our Precipice-themed Necromunda95 table, as well with one more addition, as an occasional centrepiece for GorkaMorka. A cannibalized runabout, or at least its bridge. Using the bridge sections of Terrain4Print’s nosecone wreck, and Slayer_Of_Monster’s bridge platform, and some assorted ladders and platforms from various “Coke Can fuel tank” variations.

nc_ohc=sHWVQbAdqv4AX-OYg1S&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

It is starting to come together pretty well, even if it did derail me from my YakComp efforts.

nc_ohc=-KcMGGEuxU8AX8yOz0d&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=orW27s04LLoAX_DAZzp&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=gF_0P7zSMcAAX9PCvRf&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

The bridge deck stands ALMOST exactly one N95 bulkhead high. Off by two or three millimetres.

nc_ohc=gI0PIVZ76n4AX_WQVjC&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

And the scale thereby works quite well for rampaging onto or under. Plenty of room even for my Kroot.

nc_ohc=M-5B55Q9DmEAX9lFloT&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

The wrecked and fallen ends of either side of the "shell" print over the next couple of days, so they don't suddenly and smoothly stop, as they do now. Eventually, but not any time soon, the separate "nosecone" to be printed, so that it will look right standing in the centre of a desert table as well. More immediately, some wrecked display and control terminals to stick on the bridge platform, as well as a ladder from the right hand end of the platform, up to another makeshift "gantry" or platform on the top of the right hand shell.

It is a lovely print. No supports needed for the shell, minimal for the rest.

Edit: Updates.

nc_ohc=OyKZ43k_GSsAX9TO323&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=7IIiMiVLfwsAX-tnLVY&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=KojHbONXZdMAX_oz1Lx&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

nc_ohc=wt0kEoC2K10AX8A-JI-&_nc_ht=scontent.fyaw1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
So with socializing briefly and temporarily accessible here in Nova Scotia, and with one of the participants in our Precipice N95/SW:A campaign back ashore from naval duties, this coming Monday evening should see a [masked] session for my "Kroot" Ratskin Variant gang. Belated continued playtesting. Also an attempt to remember the rules that have sat fallow since March. Wish me luck. Against orks? I'll need it.

Separately:

For modeling up Kroot gangers, respirators and infra-goggles are now available thanks to Sean White over on Thingiverse. Not only his "Kroot heads in PPE" selection [respirators and goggles]:
and

But now also two of his "Kroot GSC Predator" heads [the two which have respirator masks over the mouths, so don't show the Tyranid Kroot faces]:

Plus, if any pistolier shows up thanks to shooting skills, trimming the "third arm gun" from this guy gives a "scavenged gear" Kroot body to build on as well:

Thanks be!

Reactions: Punktaku

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Some cool heads there. Thingiverse is for peeps with home 3D printers? Or is it the one where you order the stuff they print? So newfangled... GROGNARDS!!!

Reactions: Aulenback

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Thingiverse and Tinkercad are free files for folks with access to printers. Shapeways is for buying printed things. Cults is buying files to then print yourself.

Last edited:

Aulenback

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Mar 29, 2016
Halifax, NS, Canada
Ah, Shapeways must be the one I was looking for “female mining gangers” (not Orlocks)
Yep, it looks like.

This one, Punktaku?

Shapeways also has a bunch of 6mm [Epic: Armageddon] kroot sculpts available, printed. Lovely stuff. Tempted, but Epic is ... not my scale at the moment. Skirmish games and dungeon crawlers, that's more my bag these days.