N18 Lasgun as Stubber

KindKarver

Juve
Oct 14, 2019
Hello, this is my first post and English is my second language, so be patient with me. Thanks!

From what I gathered Necromunda is a very WYSIWYH game, but I wanted to "bend" that rule ever so slightly. As such I require your input before I present the idea to my gaming group (as we are meeting in the next month).

I found myself really liking the Lasgun rules but I can't help but think to myself that laser is not nearly as cool as a slug thrower. I planned to resolve this aesthetics/rules conundrum by introducing a new weapon: Stubber.
Stubber is basically a bolt-action (you need to operate a bolt to eject spent casing and insert a new round into the chamber) hunting/military rifle of today, and seeing as a Stub Pistol and Heavy Stubbers are in the game it seems kinda silly that the "original" Stubber is not. As such I was thinking about introducing it to the game by using the rules of a Lasgun.

Here is what I've come up with as a workaround in terms of lore:
Stubber is basically a bolt-action rifle, hence the lower fire rate than that of an Autogun as well as being very common in nature (being used as hunting rifles and due to low manufacturing cost of both rifles and ammo) hence the lower Ammo Check and Plentiful trait. It would also be similar in damage to Autogun without the ability to fire many rounds at once (hence the lack of Rapid Fire trait).

Now in terms of Hotshot Power Pack upgrade:
Hotshot Power Pack increases the Strength of Lasgun by 1 and decreasing AP by 1 while making Ammo Check a 4+ with loss of Plentiful trait. Incidentally this is the same as Heavy Stubber profile (with Heavy Stubber being like .50 cal to 7.62×39mm rifle round), as such I would justify the (costly) upgrade as the rifle being re-chambered to fire a .50 cal round instead, with it being both more powerful and in less of a supply.

That would be both (in my opinion) justified in lore as well as in mechanics of the game, while also scratching my "gun-nut" itch for a WWII rifles in my Sci-Fi ;P
What do you guys think about it? Would you be OK with a (possibly) drunk nerd using a different looking guns and calling them "Stubbers" while also using the Lasgun profile?

Reactions: spafe

Thorgor

Of The YAQ
Oct 12, 2015
Sevres 92130 France
So, to sum up, you want to introduce a weapon that looks mostly like a lasgun, works (in-game) exactly like a lasgun and has the exact same profile and options as a lasgun for the exact same cost as a lasgun? I don't think even the most hardcore WYSIWYGer would object to that!
I'd name it 'stub rifle' though, to avoid possible confusion with other stub weapons (gun, heavy or cannon).

WYSIWYG hardness really depends on the group/the individual player.
As far as I'm concerned, as long as your fighter cards/gang roster/character sheets/whatev' are complete and use the correct stats and words, and there is an easy way to link each card/profile with the corresponding miniature, and I have easy access to those cards/profiles, you could use color-coded gummy bears armed with toothpicks as your miniatures and I'd still play you (provided we adapt the TLoS rules, otherwise you'd be modelling for advantage).

KindKarver

Juve
Oct 14, 2019
Hey, thanks for the tip! Stub Rifle does sound nice. As for cards I was thinking about putting it like that: Stub Rifle (Lasgun) *Stats*, and Stub Rifle HS (Lasgun HS) *Stats* for the Hotshot version (or in case of a Stub Rifle Heavy Stubber version, wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
It is kind of a long name, but I think I'll manage to fit it as I intend to print out my cards (with the space for HS as it gets upgraded).

Reactions: spafe

kueppe

Juve
Sep 17, 2018
Weitefeld
I dont see a problem here. If u play with a new player in your group I would say it and its fine. Even if he forget about this during the match and thinks, that it might be a Autogun the difference is not so big, that he might get upset. GW games are already a game of remembering thinks, so i would not recommend big proxy my stub gun is a heavybolter kind models.

Reactions: KindKarver

paxmiles

Juve
Oct 8, 2019
Speaking more broadly, you could always give proper names to each weapon in your gang.

Just because it's a Lasgun doesn't mean my fighter can't name it "Sir Stub Rifle, banisher of Drem"

KindKarver

Juve
Oct 14, 2019
Speaking more broadly, you could always give proper names to each weapon in your gang.

Just because it's a Lasgun doesn't mean my fighter can't name it "Sir Stub Rifle, banisher of Drem"
I have enough problems naming and remembering my gangers to then name their rifles XD
Although it would be bad-ass to track weapon as it changes their owner giving it name and heritage! Thanks for suggestion!

Reactions: paxmiles and spafe

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
I have enough problems naming and remembering my gangers to then name their rifles XD
Although it would be bad-ass to track weapon as it changes their owner giving it name and heritage! Thanks for suggestion!
In an old campaign there was a cursed plasma pistol called "Facemelter". It blinded a ganger due to an overheat. It was then traded away for a captive juve. It blinded a ganger in the gang it was traded to. We ended up with special rules for it - It could only fire on full power. If you had Facemelter in your posession, you had to equip it to someone and at least try to fire it each game. If you killed a ganger armed with it, were offered Facemelter as trade or captured someone with it, you had to take it. If it took its operator down/out due to overheat and they needed to roll on the injury chart, you instead rolled 1D6 - a roll of 1 or 2 was blinded. Everything else was full recovery. Little touches like that can really add flavour to a campaign!

paxmiles

Juve
Oct 8, 2019
For starters, it really helps if you write their fighter name on their base. Like on that beveled edge. That'll go a long way towards remembering them. If they die, you can always use the model again and just name them the old name "the 2nd" or "Junior" onto the character card and just leave the model as is.

As for weaponry, the gang creator allows "custom" weapons. You can use the same thing to just name weapons. That'll put the custom name on your fighter's card.

Then, as you play, just make sure to narrate the weapon names, as you use them. Shouldn't be long before you remember the named weapons as if they were characters in your story.