Looking for advice

Vertico

Ganger
Oct 2, 2019
Arnhem
I just picked up a paint starterset from the local game paradise and decided to
art on this mini I once bought for a few euro's in a blister.

I never painted much when I played Necromunda back in the '90's, but really want to learn to get better where I really enjoy painting now.

So, a simple request: if you have any tips, hints, tricks or critique, just shoot! :)

CaptainDangerous

Executive Officer in charge of Fraggles
Staff member
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Sweet!
The only advice I would give is to not be intimidated by using the shade washes! It doesn’t feel right spending all that time on the basecoat just to cover it all over, but once you let it dry completely then whack another layer of paint on, it starts to feel like cheating!

Great stuff, I look forward to seeing your progress!

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
If that's your first paintjob then you're totally fine. Just pick up some cheap metal minis to practice on (they clean with brake cleaner quick and easy) and just keep at it, you just need to put in some hours.

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I have to agree that this is a great first paint job. The details like the flesh beneath the skin rips and that maw are well done. I’ll politely disagree about the inks and washes because i never use them. But i also like a more clean, cartoony look than overly realistic for my miniatures.

My main critique would be to get some black between those foot claws to make them stand out as individuals. As they are now, the feet look like one large paddle-claw.

My tip would be to not neglect the base. i used to never worry about them at all (to the point that they remained primer with paint splashes on my earliest models). Just painting them a solid color improves the look of a finished model.

Reactions: Vertico and Stoof

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Absolutely nothing wrong there as a start to painting. Something I think is fairly important but don’t see mentioned very often is to paint from the inside out. Sounds weird, but it just means paint what is closest to the minis skin first and work outwards towards coats and weapons etc - much less chance then of ruining a finished coat by trying to paint the skin under a tear in it. Washes (or “shades“ as they are apparently called these days) are a great way of quickly making details pop. They can look awful when you first apply them but don’t panic - wait for it to dry and tidy it up with more of your base colour before highlighting.

Most importantly of all, something that can get easily forgotten - there’s no such way as the right way to paint. You’ll develop your own style and techniques. There’s nothing wrong with that. By all means try new things that people have suggested or you’ve seen someone else try... but feel free to NOT try as well. Paint how you want to paint.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Dec 29, 2017
Norway
That's very impressive start! You covered all the basics with nice colour choices and accurate applications. Well done on the washes.

If you want to go further, I recommend highlighting. Mix some white paint with the greenish skin colour. Apply that to the "high" areas, elboes, knuckles, knees, edges, anything that stand out. You can do the same on the rope. Apply some white to the red colour, apply lightly on the top parts. It's basically the opposite of a wash/shade, and extends the "depth". This is something that will dramatically increase the time it takes to paint a mini, so you must see for yourself how much time and effort you want to put into it.

Vertico

Ganger
Oct 2, 2019
Arnhem
All thanks for your feedback! With your responses in mind I finished 2 other models, which I'll post tonight.
My paint and brush collection is still very limited, but I'm happy with my progress so far. :)

Vertico

Ganger
Oct 2, 2019
Arnhem
So, the update and some lessons learned! Your critique is once very welcome!

First off, a second plaguebearer:

Then an Orlock from the 90's base-set. I used too much wash on his skin. It got darker then intended. Also, wise lesson learned about priming with loose parts attached. It gave quite a few tight corners where I could not work precise. Not unhappy with it, but also not completely satisfied:

And finaly my current WIP. This is a Goliath from the baseset aswell. I need to finish his arm with weapon and give him a wash. Perhaps a bit silly, but how can I give colour to his nipple? Drybrushing it?So far, I'm actually quite happy with the result. But still, do not spare my feelings and let your thoughts flow! :)

Last edited:

Sethmerlin666

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Jan 31, 2018
Payneham Road, Payneham SA, Australia
Fun! Good memories these models.
The next step to practice is to do selective highlights back over the skin, like with the orlock it'll be no problem having that darker than intended shade if you then highlight back with the original fleshtone. Just pick out the obvious bits, like bridge of nose, cheekbones, top parts of muscles. It will make a big difference without too much precision required!

Vertico

Ganger
Oct 2, 2019
Arnhem
With the Citadel paints, I have them in those plastic pots. Are there any best practices with mixing the paints?
I'm seriously doubting how I should do that.

Tiny

Hive Guilder
Tribe Council
Jul 12, 2011
South Wales, UK
www.tinyworlds.co.uk
With the Citadel paints, I have them in those plastic pots. Are there any best practices with mixing the paints?
I'm seriously doubting how I should do that.
Just get a piece of plastic or a ceramic plate to use as a palette. You can then mix colours to your heart's content. Mix a tiny drop of water with the paint to get it to a nice consistency.

Look at Warhammer Community, Pete the Wargamer and How I Paint Things youtube channels They have a load of great painting videos aimed at beginners. I've been painting for almost 30 years and I still get good tips from them.

EDIT: Great start by the way. A lot better than my first attempts.

Last edited:

Sethmerlin666

Gang Hero
Yak Comp 1st Place
Honored Tribesman
Jan 31, 2018
Payneham Road, Payneham SA, Australia
Yeah just as above. have a play on any surface for mixing.
Now i use a wet pallet, as i'm in Aus and everything dries real fast... but just anything, like a plastic lid from a takeaway container will do a great job to start experimenting. you'll find you use less paints than dipping straight in the pot too

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
You're getting on brilliantly bud! Nothing wrong with those at all. It was a long time before I started thinning my paints - I mainly use vallejo these days which are often quite thin already - but when I use my old Citadel ones I'm always appalled by how thick they are. I tend to take a brushfull from the pot onto a bit of blister pack, then dip the brush in the water, swipe most of it off on the rim of the jar, then mix what's left in the brush into the paint. Occasionally I have to repeat but not often. You'll soon be able to judge pretty accurately how much water you need.

If you use a wet pallette, which I've recently started doing (really easy to make your own), then I find I don't have to thin as much because some water gets into the paint from below. It probably means I'm leaving the sponge in the wet pallette too wet, but it does the trick.

cainex1

Gang Hero
Dec 8, 2017
USA
OH! One thing. If you use the Contrast line DO NOT thin it with water, you need the contrast medium or to make it yourself (I think it's a mix of thin acrylic, flow aid and something else)

Reactions: Vertico

Vertico

Ganger
Oct 2, 2019
Arnhem

Got a bunch of new paints and some bits from the local gaming paradise.
I can now try out some converting and stuff! First off, it will be my plastic goliath models from the N95 set.

Here a 3d printed model I painted for a friend of mine. Since it is printed in layers I had a hard time painting it without slapping on thick layers.
Sorry for the, once again, tilted pictures. I actually only sended them to him and didn't realise this was good for C&C aswell. :)

As last question, I want to upgrade my brushes. What are people working with currently?

coming up soon: 3 space marines I painted. :)