Looking for advice

Vertico

Juve
Oct 2, 2019
Arnhem
I just picked up a paint starterset from the local game paradise and decided to
art on this mini I once bought for a few euro's in a blister.

I never painted much when I played Necromunda back in the '90's, but really want to learn to get better where I really enjoy painting now.

So, a simple request: if you have any tips, hints, tricks or critique, just shoot! :)

CaptainDangerous

Call me Hugh
Yak Comp 3rd Place
Tribe Council
Oct 30, 2016
Durham, uk
Sweet!
The only advice I would give is to not be intimidated by using the shade washes! It doesn’t feel right spending all that time on the basecoat just to cover it all over, but once you let it dry completely then whack another layer of paint on, it starts to feel like cheating!

Great stuff, I look forward to seeing your progress!

Punktaku

Un-Dis-Honored
Honored Tribesman
Apr 4, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I have to agree that this is a great first paint job. The details like the flesh beneath the skin rips and that maw are well done. I’ll politely disagree about the inks and washes because i never use them. But i also like a more clean, cartoony look than overly realistic for my miniatures.

My main critique would be to get some black between those foot claws to make them stand out as individuals. As they are now, the feet look like one large paddle-claw.

My tip would be to not neglect the base. i used to never worry about them at all (to the point that they remained primer with paint splashes on my earliest models). Just painting them a solid color improves the look of a finished model.

Reactions: Vertico and Stoof

Stoof

Yakmarines 2nd Co. Word Priest
Yak Comp 2nd Place
Tribe Council
Jun 1, 2016
Ellon, United Kingdom
Absolutely nothing wrong there as a start to painting. Something I think is fairly important but don’t see mentioned very often is to paint from the inside out. Sounds weird, but it just means paint what is closest to the minis skin first and work outwards towards coats and weapons etc - much less chance then of ruining a finished coat by trying to paint the skin under a tear in it. Washes (or “shades“ as they are apparently called these days) are a great way of quickly making details pop. They can look awful when you first apply them but don’t panic - wait for it to dry and tidy it up with more of your base colour before highlighting.

Most importantly of all, something that can get easily forgotten - there’s no such way as the right way to paint. You’ll develop your own style and techniques. There’s nothing wrong with that. By all means try new things that people have suggested or you’ve seen someone else try... but feel free to NOT try as well. Paint how you want to paint.

TopsyKretts

Hive Guilder
Dec 29, 2017
Kristiansand
That's very impressive start! You covered all the basics with nice colour choices and accurate applications. Well done on the washes.

If you want to go further, I recommend highlighting. Mix some white paint with the greenish skin colour. Apply that to the "high" areas, elboes, knuckles, knees, edges, anything that stand out. You can do the same on the rope. Apply some white to the red colour, apply lightly on the top parts. It's basically the opposite of a wash/shade, and extends the "depth". This is something that will dramatically increase the time it takes to paint a mini, so you must see for yourself how much time and effort you want to put into it.