N18 Looking for feedback on Venator gang

baxio

Ganger
Dec 7, 2019
Hi,

I'm looking for some constructive criticism on improving my 1,000 credit Venator gang for skirmish battles https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/wakefield_duellists_club.154308/

I just played (and lost) two games against my Wife who ran a Goliath gang with three fighters with Nerves of Steel. First game was a write off, though second game was much closer.
It was impossible keeping the Goliaths pinned with their low cool. I managed to keep them under some form of crowd control with the flamer and the incendiary grenades which stop the heavy bolter tearing me to pieces like the previous game.

Eventually she broke through with her leader who's two handed hammer started popping off my gang one by one. First the flamethrower guy, then the incendiay grenade guy, then the grenade launcher guy. I had no way of stopping him. Eventually by pure fluke the leader charged my Las Gun girl and only rolled one hit which she saved on the armour. She then managed to do an unarmed strike to his throat and with some seriously lucky dice rolling he was seriously injured and she snapped his neck while he gasped for air!

But there were still two Goliaths left so they shot her to bits!

Looking for ways to improve the gang. They are a bit squishy but I don't think that is a problem if I can get a bit more crowd control going or do more damage. The Combi pistol, flamer and grenade launcher are the main damage dealers, but once they are gone the gang has no teeth and strength 3 weapons struggle to wound Goliaths.

Ignore the bit that says specalist on Stalker, I thought one hunter would be able to take a special weapon like the other gangs at generation but apparently Venators can't

Thanks,

Dan

Vonvilkee

Gang Hero
Jan 7, 2018
Bellingham, Washington USA
Seismic cannon for a champ or leader... Pins and ignores nerves of steel.

As you've tried flame weapons check out shotguns with inferno ammo.

You've probably experienced bolters so those are options but the shotguns are cheaper and almost as good.

Edit after looking at list: swap the flamer for seismic cannon (jump up) move the power axe to the leader. Drop the incindiary for a shotgun with inferno there (drop the knife and or pistol there too for creds).

This depends a lot on how much you are willing to change up the fighters. I'd also recommend a bolter with jump up and no armor or field. Shoot and then take cover eliminates the need for a save as they can't be shot easily. Honestly I'm not a fan of armor in general for skirmish, bodies and better guns are far more useful than a 33% or less chance of saving.

Last edited:
Reactions: baxio

Heart of Storm

Gang Hero
Mar 8, 2019
Not convinced by the leaders loadout, seems expensive for what he is - conversion field and combi pistol is a lot of credits where a boltgun would work equally well, and give you some range - which is what you want against goliath.

I'm also unsure about his overseer skill choice, hes a BS2+ model, he wants to be using that every turn, not sacrificing a turn to let a less accurate model take a second shot.

As for the rest, id agree with the comments above, Shotguns are good, cheap S4 D2 weapons that do work against Goliaths. Boltguns are the better, but pricier option.

The flamer is fun, but its expensive in a gang that's already light on bodies

MrAndersson

Gang Hero
Sep 18, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
The Combi pistol, flamer and grenade launcher are the main damage dealers, but once they are gone the gang has no teeth...
You have hit the nail on the head with the problem. You need more firepower, especially if you are facing a well equipped Goliath gang.

To get more firepower into the gang, you need to drop some unnecessary stuff. The conversion field should be first to go. It's not a bad piece of equipment later, when you have the cash. But at gang creation a mesh armour will do just fine.

For any other gang, a flamer can be a useful weapon, although I still think it's a bit overpriced. But for Venators, who can't have special weapons on the gangers, it takes up a champion, and is therefor detrimental to the gang. If you are going to use that champion for close combat, give him a pistol to go with the axe instead of that expensive flamer. Smoke grenades are also questionable on a guy with BS 5+.

...and strength 3 weapons struggle to wound Goliaths.
Strength 3 weapons suck. Don't use them.

Also, I don't know if you are choosing stat profiles for some kind of theme. In that case, go with what you feel. But if you are after what's good, forget about the first two profiles on each fighter type. Profile 3 is for close combat and profile 4 is for shooting. It's that simple.

baxio

Ganger
Dec 7, 2019
Seismic cannon for a champ or leader... Pins and ignores nerves of steel.

As you've tried flame weapons check out shotguns with inferno ammo.

You've probably experienced bolters so those are options but the shotguns are cheaper and almost as good.

Edit after looking at list: swap the flamer for seismic cannon (jump up) move the power axe to the leader. Drop the incindiary for a shotgun with inferno there (drop the knife and or pistol there too for creds).

This depends a lot on how much you are willing to change up the fighters. I'd also recommend a bolter with jump up and no armor or field. Shoot and then take cover eliminates the need for a save as they can't be shot easily. Honestly I'm not a fan of armor in general for skirmish, bodies and better guns are far more useful than a 33% or less chance of saving.

Loads of good stuff here, and seismic cannon has completely passed me by so will give that a go

Not convinced by the leaders loadout, seems expensive for what he is - conversion field and combi pistol is a lot of credits where a boltgun would work equally well, and give you some range - which is what you want against goliath.

I'm also unsure about his overseer skill choice, hes a BS2+ model, he wants to be using that every turn, not sacrificing a turn to let a less accurate model take a second shot.

As for the rest, id agree with the comments above, Shotguns are good, cheap S4 D2 weapons that do work against Goliaths. Boltguns are the better, but pricier option.

The flamer is fun, but its expensive in a gang that's already light on bodies

All of the leadership skills seemed a bit situational, what would you recommend instead? But I get your point, and overseer does need to go.
Shotguns don't have enough range for me but got some ideas on what I can drop now to get some bolters which should do the trick!

You have hit the nail on the head with the problem. You need more firepower, especially if you are facing a well equipped Goliath gang.

To get more firepower into the gang, you need to drop some unnecessary stuff. The conversion field should be first to go. It's not a bad piece of equipment later, when you have the cash. But at gang creation a mesh armour will do just fine.

For any other gang, a flamer can be a useful weapon, although I still think it's a bit overpriced. But for Venators, who can't have special weapons on the gangers, it takes up a champion, and is therefor detrimental to the gang. If you are going to use that champion for close combat, give him a pistol to go with the axe instead of that expensive flamer. Smoke grenades are also questionable on a guy with BS 5+.

Strength 3 weapons suck. Don't use them.

Also, I don't know if you are choosing stat profiles for some kind of theme. In that case, go with what you feel. But if you are after what's good, forget about the first two profiles on each fighter type. Profile 3 is for close combat and profile 4 is for shooting. It's that simple.

I was trying to get what I thought was a compromise on stats, but happy to switch to profiles 3 and 4.

Last edited: